Author Topic: Super trees among the foliage clumps  (Read 1304 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Super trees among the foliage clumps
« on: May 26, 2022, 05:35:20 AM »
 I'm looking to make some varied foliage areas for my eastern US RR and like how Super Trees look. However, I'm wondering if those will make my forests and brush of WS Foliage Clumps (that foam rubber stuff) look really dorky and unrealistic if I mix them together in one scene. Anybody use both these items on one layout? Do they go together?

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
    • Moving coal in N scale
Re: Super trees among the foliage clumps
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 12:06:03 PM »
+2
Bump.  I was hoping someone would reply as I am interested in the question.  I have a ton of WS on my layout but need to add trees toward the front edge of the layout.  Would super trees look incongruous?
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 12:21:11 PM »
+1
That's a good question.

My initial thought is yes, but you shouldn't let that stop you from doing it.

Also, ask @Dave V since he did that same thing on his Juniata Division. It turned out really nice, so it CAN be done.

One other thought: I think a lot depends on how you use the super trees. If you go whole hog like I have and adjust your overall tree size to be larger and more prototypical, you will find a much starker difference because you'll be changing size and composition.

If you keep them small like the WS trees, then the difference will likely be less noticeable.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 12:23:06 PM by Ed Kapuscinski »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 12:34:54 PM »
+2
That's a good question.

My initial thought is yes, but you shouldn't let that stop you from doing it.

Also, ask @Dave V since he did that same thing on his Juniata Division. It turned out really nice, so it CAN be done.

One other thought: I think a lot depends on how you use the super trees. If you go whole hog like I have and adjust your overall tree size to be larger and more prototypical, you will find a much starker difference because you'll be changing size and composition.

If you keep them small like the WS trees, then the difference will likely be less noticeable.

Here's how that mix of WS clumps and Supertrees looked:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +563
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 05:55:52 PM »
+2
I am definitely no expert on this, but it occurs to me that using realistic sized super trees in the foreground and the undersized WS clumps in the background might be OK as sort of a "forced perspective" that would help imply distance.  I think the trick is in making the transition inconspicuous. I guess that would involve mixing them in the mid-distance in some way, with the WS clumps just behind some STs on the front of clumps, maybe with an apparent drop off behind the clump, and then just the WS clumps showing on the rise behind the drop?

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 06:38:52 AM »
Thanks guys!  The difference in texture is what I was concerned about, and it sure looks good in @Dave V's photo.
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1296
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 09:17:17 AM »
+1
Thanks guys!  The difference in texture is what I was concerned about, and it sure looks good in @Dave V's photo.
If it's texture you're worried about, the way Supertrees are made is by sprinkling on layers of ground foam.
No reason you couldn't take your clump trees and add ground foam to some of them, vary the amount and color to give them a similar look?
A forest isn't made up of one species of tree.  The more variety you have, the easier it is to blend.

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 10:27:47 PM »
+1
Don’t overthink it…..try one method, if you’re happy with the results it’s a win. If not try another method…..etc….

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 06:29:17 AM »
+2
Bump.  I was hoping someone would reply as I am interested in the question.  I have a ton of WS on my layout but need to add trees toward the front edge of the layout.  Would super trees look incongruous?
(Attachment Link)

This looks pretty damn good to me .. but the ultimate test is to compare what you have to the real thing ..  To my eye -- you generally see the foreground stuff closest to the track .. the rest becomes a blur in the back ..   take a look at this picture of Thurmond ..  Here is how CSX and NPS decorated their layout -  supertrees in front, clumps and puff balls in the back :) 

I also like your rock work layers . that's very "appalachian"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:33:31 AM by John »

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 09:49:10 AM »
+3
Here is how CSX and NPS decorated their layout -  supertrees in front, clumps and puff balls in the back :) 

That sounds like a scenery "mullet."   :trollface:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 10:02:18 AM by Pomperaugrr »

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 09:30:17 PM »
Nice photo…..I was in Thurmond just last week. Two trains sitting, no movement…..

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 11:36:40 PM »
That sounds like a scenery "mullet."   :trollface:

Or a good time.   :D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA