Author Topic: Warning, Will Robinson....  (Read 2185 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1686
Warning, Will Robinson....
« on: April 02, 2022, 03:39:38 PM »
+9
... temptation time again. I was curious to see how the static grass would look in HO scale.  It took less than 48 hours to bring this little demo scene to this stage from a block of styrofoam.   This is mainly various shades of 2mm static grass that I had on hand, with some AZRM+SE ballasts and a short strip of ME C70 flex.

(I don't know if the little dude intends to load the entire hopper one sack at a time.)

Ed

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6788
Re: Warning, Will Robinson....
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 03:56:56 PM »
"We are the HO Scale Borg.  Resistance is futile.  Your life, as it has been, is over.  From this time forward, you will service us.  We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own."

Sincerely,
The HO Scale Borg

:D :D :D

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1596
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 04:58:38 PM »
"We are the HO Scale Borg.  Resistance is futile.  Your life, as it has been, is over.  From this time forward, you will service us.   :o

Sincerely,
The HO Scale Borg

Run, run as fast as you can!   ;) :trollface:

Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 06:34:16 PM »
"We are the HO Scale Borg.  Resistance is futile.  Your life, as it has been, is over.  From this time forward, you will service us.  We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own."

Sincerely,
The HO Scale Borg

Heh heh, yeah.... which reminds me, time to bug NWSL to see if they can make a P:87 wheelset for the ScaleTrains diesels....  :ashat:

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1377
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 02:25:11 AM »
I'm sure they can, as it shouldn't be any harder than any other P:87, or N scale, wheel.
N Kalanaga
Be well

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1319
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 05:16:58 AM »
Now, if only somebody could do both P:87 and P:160 humans!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 12:18:32 AM »
+4

Sincerely,
The HO Scale Borg

Yeah, this stuff can get addictive.....

Ed (a.k.a. HO Locutus)

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 09:28:50 AM »
The color variation in the grass is outstanding.  That really brings it to life, as does the application technique, so it doesn't look like a manicured lawn.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 01:03:29 AM »
Thanks @Pomperaugrr , tho I'm finding I would like to figure out a way to get the longer fibers (+4mm) to stand up better.   I tried the WS Static King and got about the same results as my hand-modified applicator.   I wonder if the ion generator can be operated reliably (and safely) above a 12 VDC input....  :D

Ed

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +177
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 09:45:36 AM »
Thanks @Pomperaugrr , tho I'm finding I would like to figure out a way to get the longer fibers (+4mm) to stand up better.   I tried the WS Static King and got about the same results as my hand-modified applicator.   I wonder if the ion generator can be operated reliably (and safely) above a 12 VDC input....  :D

Ed

You can build one with a higher output negative ion generator...  I found a company in Vermont that sells 30kV ion generators, but they're pricy at $50@.

Here's the link:

https://www.amazing1.com/products/negative-ion-generator-12vdc-input-30kv-output.html

The applicator I built with it throws an arc about 1/2" or a tad more.  The only issue with it is that it is so powerful, it charges any metal in the applicator (switch base, plug base).  I coated any exposed metal surface with "liquid electrical tape" which helps.

More power is better, but there are trade offs...

Jeff

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1596
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 12:16:12 PM »
Thanks @Pomperaugrr , tho I'm finding I would like to figure out a way to get the longer fibers (+4mm) to stand up better.   

Ed

I've had some success using a small shop vac to pull the fibers straighter shortly after gluing.
I do this anyway with a paper towel over the nozzle to capture any loose fiber for re-use.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 02:32:04 PM »
Yes, more voltage - more intense static electric fields, stronger erection!  Snort!  8) :D 8)
. . . 42 . . .