Author Topic: Replacement wheel set for proto sw9/1200  (Read 1067 times)

Southern1970

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Replacement wheel set for proto sw9/1200
« on: March 31, 2022, 04:25:23 AM »
Hi all,
I’ve decided to cross the border and try a bit of HO scale (still keeping my n scale stuff for now).
I purchased a proto sw9/1200 from evil bay (Conrail scheme, life-like model #21161), and await the several weeks it will take to get from USA to Australia.
I’ve heard some of these proto locos suffer from cracked gears.  Is the below the replacement wheelsets I would need to get if this loco has this issue?
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Not sure if image came through so link below

https://trainworld.net.au/products/920-584408-walthers-proto-replacement-geared-driver-assembly-diesel-wheelset-pkg2-for-early-proto-2000r-bl-fa-gp7-9-18-20-30-60-proto-1000tm-f3-rs2-rsc2

Cheers
Allan

Southern1970

• Crew
Re: Replacement wheel set for proto sw9/1200
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 07:55:07 AM »
Well it arrived from east coast USA to Melbourne Australia after only 10 days. 
After running the engine a little bit I have not noticed any issues with the gears (but I haven’t avoided the wonky handrails along the sides of the engine).  So looks like I won’t have to change out the wheelsets.

fire5506

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 08:19:17 AM »
+1
I'm glad to hear that you don't have cracked gears. One thing I would recommend is to check the lube in the trucks.
If it is original lube it'll be caked up and not lubing anything. Clean it out and put new lube in it. They are nice running locomotives.

Richard Webster
Richard looking at MP 242 when working for the FEC Rwy. Retired now.

NMRA member Sunshine region

turbowhiz

• Crew
  • https://n-possible.com
  • Respect: +139
    • N-Possible
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 11:13:50 AM »
+1

Hi all,
I’ve decided to cross the border and try a bit of HO scale (still keeping my n scale stuff for now).
I purchased a proto sw9/1200 from evil bay (Conrail scheme, life-like model #21161), and await the several weeks it will take to get from USA to Australia.
I’ve heard some of these proto locos suffer from cracked gears.  Is the below the replacement wheelsets I would need to get if this loco has this issue?
(Attachment Link)

Not sure if image came through so link below

https://trainworld.net.au/products/920-584408-walthers-proto-replacement-geared-driver-assembly-diesel-wheelset-pkg2-for-early-proto-2000r-bl-fa-gp7-9-18-20-30-60-proto-1000tm-f3-rs2-rsc2

Cheers
Allan

Those wheelsets won't fit the SW9/1200; From my experience, those models don't suffer cracked axle issues. The drivetrain is not of the same construction as their effected models (the SW's are a bit nicer drivetrain wise).

The cracked axle models are ones equipped with what is basically a clone of the Athearn blue box drivetrain; And from my personal experience, having a very extensive HO collection I'm trying to divest of, I've found EVERY example of an effected model has suffered the cracked gear problem. Proto GP's and FA's in my case.

A much more cost effective solution to fix them is just to buy replacement gears... You can still get them from Athearn, (P/N 60024, pack of 6), and its a much cheaper repair. The existing wheels simply pull out of the faulty proto gears, and you just press them into the replacement gears along with the bronze bearing.

The models are still decent, and run well enough (even though the drivetrain is a clone it was manufactured with better tolerances, and used proper wiring rather then crappy contact strips so they run better then blue box Athearn does typically) so they're worth a little effort if you get them for the right price.

Southern1970

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 09:33:45 AM »
Thanks @fire5506, will be sure to check the lubrication situation out.

Thanks @turbowhiz, for confirming about those wheelsets.  good to know they don’t tend to have the same issue as the other proto locos.

Now I just need to install a decoder so I can run it on the club layout.