Author Topic: Dullcote exists in bottled form (for airbrushing)  (Read 1921 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
Re: Dullcote exists in bottled form (for airbrushing)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 02:21:21 PM »
I have never thinned it and sometimes don't even clean the air brush when I'm done.  :P  Dullcote has something about it that you could put 100 coats on a model and it won't hide the details.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2022, 03:17:50 PM »
I have never thinned it and sometimes don't even clean the air brush when I'm done.  :P  Dullcote has something about it that you could put 100 coats on a model and it won't hide the details.

Ain't that the truth.  I have some Z scale cars with 5-6 coats, thick and heavy from a spray can, where I kept putting on chalk, dullcoat, chalk until the paint was properly faded. It settles down so great.   

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 03:38:45 PM »
Well I do thin them (as shown in the earlier photo about 7 parts lacquers to 6 parts lacquer thinner), I spray several wet coats with a fairly wide open nozzle, and I get great results.  Not sure about psi, but I almost never go over 20 psi with my Badger 200 siphon-fed airbrush.  I suspect that a 50/50 mix would work just as well.

Thanks for the info Pete...  I've been using my airbrush more and more lately and I now have a need to spray some Dullcote to protect acrylic paint for weathering treatment.  So this info will come in handy.

Hard to believe someone is spraying Dullcote and not bothering to clean out the airbrush...  How do you get away with that??!  My youngest son did a half assed job cleaning acrylic out of my airbrush a few weeks back and it was gummed up solid.  Took about an hour soaking in Acetone to free things up!

JB

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 06:06:58 PM »
I’m still stocked up on Spray cans but always looking for an alternative. Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to pick some up next time I drive out to my LHS
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 06:32:50 PM »
I have to say that I've never been entirely satisfied with the rattle can version of Dullcote. 
I recently tried Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear in a rattle can and greatly prefer it.   
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 08:32:08 PM »
I have to say that I've never been entirely satisfied with the rattle can version of Dullcote. 
I recently tried Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear in a rattle can and greatly prefer it.

Is it just as flat?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 08:57:54 PM »
+1
Thanks for the info Pete...  I've been using my airbrush more and more lately and I now have a need to spray some Dullcote to protect acrylic paint for weathering treatment.  So this info will come in handy.

Hard to believe someone is spraying Dullcote and not bothering to clean out the airbrush...  How do you get away with that??!  My youngest son did a half assed job cleaning acrylic out of my airbrush a few weeks back and it was gummed up solid.  Took about an hour soaking in Acetone to free things up!

JB

I always flush my airbrush with lacquer thinner, right after I finish spraying paint.

Be careful when spraying Dullcote (hot stinky lacquer)  over water-based acrylic enamel color layer.  There is a discussion about a mishap due to what I perceive as paint incompatibility.  While the clear coat was a different brand, I consider Dullcote to be "hot" lacquer which could attack water-based enamels

See https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=53960.msg740178#msg740178 
My response was https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=53960.msg740196#msg740196
There are also additional responses in that thread.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 09:42:25 PM »
Don't forget Testors 44% price increase next month!!!

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2022, 10:41:25 PM »
Is it just as flat?

Seems to be.  And from the rattle can it's more even.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2022, 11:20:37 PM »
Says

synthetic lacquer that cures in a short period of time.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray-ts-plastics/ts-80-flat-clear/

Might be worth trying, but dang $8.25 for a tiny can. (then again if Dullcote goes up 44%)

I recently found Tamyia primer for under $7 a can and bought 2 cases of it. Before that it was $10 a can.

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2022, 08:19:26 AM »
Says

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray-ts-plastics/ts-80-flat-clear/

Might be worth trying, but dang $8.25 for a tiny can. (then again if Dullcote goes up 44%)

I recently found Tamyia primer for under $7 a can and bought 2 cases of it. Before that it was $10 a can.

What size can of Tamiya primer Chris?   All I'm seeing (Amazon) is $17-$18 for the 180ml can.  Are you purchasing the smaller cans at $7@?

Jeff