Author Topic: Really Old Skool FM Switcher Thread  (Read 4903 times)

DiggerDownUnder

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
Re: Really Old Skool FM Switcher Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2022, 08:02:40 AM »
Mabuchi 010 DC Motor 12v and 28000 rpm. There is a choice of 21000 or 28000 rpm.

@kiwi_al Thanks Cobber

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2022, 03:27:29 AM »

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2022, 05:15:36 AM »
+2
Just so you can see I have some Shapeways shells of the H12-44 and H10-44 which look betterer  :D

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2022, 12:33:54 PM »
+5
Well, Since we are talking about the old Minitrix FM switchers, Let me present my monstrosity of a project...

It's obviously a fantasy locomotive, I call it the T24-66. It's what I think a FM Transfer loco would look like.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2022, 01:50:54 AM »
I have seen worse.  It looks like it would work, which is more than I can say for some prototype "locomotives" that have been built.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/locoloco.htm
N Kalanaga
Be well

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2022, 09:30:03 PM »
Well while I was trying to find some parts in my 3 x 20 litre containers of parts I found that First Person Scale Models have just about finished designing the FM 12-44TS in HO scale so naturally I asked if that could be scaled down to N scale. At the moment I'll just put this on hold
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 09:50:51 PM by kiwi_al »

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2022, 08:21:21 PM »
Well, Since we are talking about the old Minitrix FM switchers, Let me present my monstrosity of a project...

It's obviously a fantasy locomotive, I call it the T24-66. It's what I think a FM Transfer loco would look like.

What did you use for a chassis for that?  I have a couple of Minitrix FM switcher shells I bought for a transfer loco bash.

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2022, 05:27:22 AM »
Mike, I like your transfer switcher - very cool!!!

So the kitbash is definitely halted because I have an stl file of an N scale FM H12-44TS in my hot little hands. I have found a commercial 3d printing company and they have given me an acceptable quote to print the shell. It'll take a few days to get that locked in but it's looking good at this early stage.
So I guess this thread suddenly became less old skool!!  :D :D

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2022, 04:17:03 PM »
The FM H12-44TS shell has been printed and going through QC. It should be sent this afternoon. It'll take a while until I receive it as it is printed in another country and it's not Shapeways!  :D :D
I got a fuzzy photo of it - right shape and I can see some of the obvious details.

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2022, 04:15:11 AM »
The 3D Printed shell arrived today.
This is a test print to see how the digital image came out. There is really only one issue and that's itis a bout deformed near the cab on the long hood side. This is because the image was originally designed for HO Scale and reduced to N Scale. So the bowed bit is where the shell sides are too thin but I don't think it's a bad effort. The thing that drops my jaw a bit is that there are no lines like Shapeways prints!!! I have done nothing to the shell, no prep, no hitting it with an air eraser. I'm quietly impressed.  :D :D

I need to do a bit more work on the mechanism too.

Here it is:

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2022, 02:39:54 AM »
It's been a while but I had to get some new mechanisms. managed to snag an Atlas FM H16-44 and another Minitrix FMH12-44. I made a bit of a mistake when I cut the first Minitrix mechanism, I should have cut it in at the centre.
The Atlas mechanism is a just fit - just squeezes in there., the bad news is that the motor is not running properly so I've ordered a replacement from Atlas, unfortunately that's about a 4 week wait. I have also ordered  another 3 FM H12-44TS shells to be printed. so I guess there will be another 3 to 4 weeks wait on that.
However I still have the Minitrix mechanism to remotor and stretch. I'll add details here when I get started on this new phase.

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2022, 11:58:55 PM »
Got the motor but I need to get even more parts to make it fit. Atlas don't have any slow speed motors available just the classic one from a U25B. To make this work I need the worm gear part with the hex connector thingy. Ordering that. The new motor runs perfectly!!
Also my last little production run of the resin shells arrived yesterday (just before I went into hospital for cataract removal)

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2022, 02:28:24 PM »
They do have those motors, but you have to email in and ask, just managed to score one myself. I've also ordered one of the new sound era motors to work out how to retro fit them to older locos.

kiwi_al

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2022, 04:37:24 PM »
Noted, will give that a go next time  :D Although it sounds like I might be better off in the long run with what I have now - it'll have a decoder in it  :D
I'm still trying to rescue the original motor.