Author Topic: Multi-monitor programs?  (Read 648 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
Multi-monitor programs?
« on: March 06, 2022, 06:20:46 AM »
This is a very odd question. If I were to use three monitors, is there any program that could dedicate the X,Y and Z axis on each monitor? One of the big issues I'm having is "seeing" the model on a single monitor. I know that there should be multiple sides, but my brain is just not translating it at all.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Multi-monitor programs?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 11:50:01 AM »
You are thinking too rigidly. If you are in a 3D CAD program, you would not want to view the model strictly from the front, top or side plane. Isometric, dimetric and trimetric are additional standard views in SolidWorks, you can Google to get a visual reference. But you’d want to see the model from a perspective that gives you an idea of what the model looks like. Multiple monitors aren’t really conducive to doing that. One large widescreen monitor should be sufficient.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3187
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 12:43:03 PM »
Some software allow tyou to look at multiple viewing directions simultaneously, like an iso view, a rh side a rear and a plan.

Bryan is correct though- learn to focus on the trihedron so you don't get lost as to X, Y and Z directions.  Try to biuld your models where -X is fore, -X is aft, +Y is away from you, -Y is toward you, +Z is up, and -Z is down. 

I try to start all of my models where the Z=0 is top of rail, X=0 is centered in the length of the object, and Y=0 is centered in the widht.

This way if the car is symmetrical about the Y-Z plane and symmetrical about the X-Z plane you only need to design one quarter of the car, and reflections can be used to finish the rest.

Learn about boolean operations if yourCAD tool supports them.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 01:22:38 PM »
I use the rotation feature liberally to spin the model around in real time. I've caught a lot of mistakes that way, and displaying it from moving, random angles helps with sense of proportion.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +909
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 12:54:29 PM »
Yeah I agree with the group.. you need to learn to 'see' it in 3d..

I recall in my days learning 3D modeling.. once I started a complex model.. The initial X/Y/Z didn't mean anything.... everything was based drawing shapes on an existing model surface, then adding or removing that shape from the existing model in a +/- value.

So the surface of your model your drawing on is X and Y, and your add/remove size value is Z... But those planes are constantly changing as you build the model.. and are rarely the same to your initial XYZ

~Ian