Author Topic: Conrail Cyclopedia - I'm scanning lots of new photos!  (Read 777 times)

CPBelt

• Respect: +4
Conrail Cyclopedia - I'm scanning lots of new photos!
« on: March 01, 2022, 07:33:19 PM »
+3
I'm not sure if folks remember or know of me, but I know there are many awesome Conrail modelers and railfans on The Railwire. On April 2, the Conrail Cyclopedia website turns 24 years old (25 if you count its CR rolling stock predecessor!) Yipes!

Back at Christmas I convinced my wife to buy me a new flatbed scanner as a "present."  :D So I literally dug through all the storage boxes in the closet and collected all my old photos, negatives, and slides.

The past couple months, I've been adding a lot of new Conrail photos, mostly 1994 and 1995 right now. I'm itching to scan other years, but I fear jumping around too much at first will get me lost!  I have a ton of other non-CR photos, but I'm still waiting to be approved at RR Pictures Archive. BTW a few years ago a fellow gave me an entire LIRR slide collection from the 1970s!

Anyway, I don't want to seem like a spammer. Stop by the CRCyc and see what's new. Let me know what you think. I'll be hanging around here more. (Well, there goes the neighborhood! LoL.)

Bob Waller
Conrail Cyclopedia
http://crcyc.railfan.net/

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: Conrail Cyclopedia - I'm scanning lots of new photos!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 08:26:56 PM »
Welcome Bob .. I always loved your work .. feel free to participate a lot

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 08:33:45 PM »
+2
Please, nobody tag @Ed Kapuscinski  in this thread.

Ah s$#^

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 11:09:18 PM »
Ed's gonna have an orgasm!   :trollface:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7955
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 07:04:23 AM »
Fantastic!

As Bob well knows, the CRCYC is largely responsible for my rediscovery of Conrail as my real true love.

I'm so glad to see new content being added and that the site continues to thrive!

Tristan Ashcroft

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 12:10:02 PM »
This is wonderful!
       I don't know how long ago I stumbled into the CRCyclopedia, but it was probably not a whole lot less than 24 years ago, and it's been an invaluable reference ever since.

Much appreciated, Bob!

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 02:21:24 PM »
That’s quite a project! Conrail looks better and better the more these photos age.

Are you scanning the prints on the flatbed, or the negatives? Are you using the V600?

Hats off to you for tackling such a big project. The same thing is on my list of things I need to do before it’s too late.

CPBelt

• Respect: +4
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 08:38:35 PM »
That’s quite a project! Conrail looks better and better the more these photos age.

Are you scanning the prints on the flatbed, or the negatives? Are you using the V600?

Hats off to you for tackling such a big project. The same thing is on my list of things I need to do before it’s too late.

Thanks for the kudos, guys! I've always done the site to help fellow modelers and fans.

Pedro, I'm scanning the negatives about 95% of the time and using a V600 with its ICE scratch remover on. Takes 4 minutes a frame. For the price, it's just fine. After the V600, the jump in price is just nuts for a flatbed. I only scan a photo if that frame on the negative was damaged (yellow/brown) from bad developing in 1994 and some 1995. And I got a dust cover for it--worth every penny! And it works with my literally ancient laptop, as long as I keep feeding the hamsters powering the laptop's fan.

Ed has been a super guy over the years. And a great modeler. A few years ago when I got the crazy urge to bring the CRCyc's code into the 2020's, he was a huge help and inspiration for me getting the site back up and running. BTW the Historical society's site keep blowing my mind also.