Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/13/22  (Read 7448 times)

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: Weekend Update 2/13/22
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2022, 09:28:24 AM »
I don't take many pictures, mostly because it's never been finished.  There are parts that look good enough to photograph, and everything runs, but somehow I never seem to finish it.

I feel you @nkalanaga , my layout is a comfy 1x8, but it is refreshing to get parts "finished" and JFRT.  Showing my work helps keep me motivated, and I encourage you to do the same!

Frank

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2022, 10:15:45 AM »

The "catenary", actually single-wire overhead, is about as simple as one can get.  It's based on a magazine article design from MANY years ago, for simple, working, N scale overhead, although mine isn't electrically live.  The hangers are bent 0.01 inch brass wire, the lower end bent double, with the contact wire in the resulting groove, and the top bent over the span wires.  For crossarm poles, I wound a few turns of the top around rod the size of the crossarm, so it could be slid onto the arm.

It's over 25 years of age, and showing its age, but still works well.  The pans run smoothly, with no snagging, and the wires stay where they're supposed.  Sort of like the real MILW!

Some detail photos please!  Also, how do you clean track/dust with out tearing apart the overhead?

So nice!

Bob

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2022, 10:30:24 AM »
+2
I don't take many pictures, mostly because it's never been finished.  There are parts that look good enough to photograph, and everything runs, but somehow I never seem to finish it.

I grew up in a non-modeling family, and am the only one who's interested in trains.  My father worked for the railroads most of his life, but he was never really interested in models of any kind.  So, I've learned not to bore people by talking too much.  It makes it hard to show what I'm doing, even here, where it's quite appropriate.

Also, it isn't that large, and there are only so many places, and angles, to take a picture!

so, not for nothing, but this is a model railroading forum . . . If @u18b can give us literally every screw in a shay rebuild I think more photos of your Catenary are in order.

Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2022, 11:17:58 AM »
+1

My build thread started as a pipe dream before I even bought the wood to build the benchwork.  We like construction photos around here and would have really enjoyed seeing how you built that catenary among the other details in your layout.  Is there a track plan?

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2022, 02:09:40 AM »
As for cleaning the track, the answer is "carefully"!  Actually, I seldom have to, because my usual local freight is a motor, one of the Aztec "rubber roller" track cleaning cars, and a caboose.  Add anything else to or from the interchange.  The last time I gave it a good cleaning, I used a damp (not wet) toothbrush.  Part of the design consideration was trying to make it cat-proof, as we have a cat that likes to walk on tables.  It worked fairly well, but I finally bought a "baby gate" for the door, to keep her out.  It works, which is surprising, because she can easily jump twice as high as the gate!

Closeup detail shots might be possible.  My camera doesn't always like real closeups, but I can try this weekend.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 02:12:20 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2022, 02:14:41 AM »
Another vote for seeing more of @nkalanaga layout photos. 8)  What little I've seen this far has always been excellent!  I also marvel at the broad knowledge exhibited in his/ your posts, both modelling and prototype.  I'll wait. ;) :D
Mark G.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »
+7
Hi everyone.

I have not had much time for modeling or forums in recent weeks, but I have still made some modeling progress on my layout. I was asked to do an updated overview of my layout, so I figured I would share it here as well. The video shows some of the very recent progress I have been able to achieve over the past weekend. There is still much to do and a lot of scenery and details to add.

Here is a link to the new video:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 03:05:15 PM by Pomperaugrr »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2022, 03:03:28 PM »
+1
Hi everyone.

I have not had much time for modeling or forums in recent weeks, but I have still made some modeling progress on my layout. I was asked to do an updated overview of my layout, so I figured I would share it here as well. The video shows some of the very recent progress I have been able to achieve. There is still much to do and a lot of scenery and details to add. I would definitely like to start a layout thread here one of these days.

Here is a link to the new video:

I love all the Railwire history easter eggs.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2022, 03:08:33 PM »
+1
I love all the Railwire history easter eggs.

Oh, there will be many more to come.  The Pharmco building is a kit that was left unused by TiVo and that found it's way to me, so there will be some appropriate TiVo graffiti on the side, along with a nod to DKS on that great arched bridge in the Cornwall Bridge scene.  Those are just a few of the easter eggs to come.   ;)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2022, 03:22:42 PM »
Oh, there will be many more to come.  The Pharmco building is a kit that was left unused by TiVo and that found it's way to me, so there will be some appropriate TiVo graffiti on the side, along with a nod to DKS on that great arched bridge in the Cornwall Bridge scene.  Those are just a few of the easter eggs to come.   ;)

Oh man, I LOVE it. If you need I have some suitable decals that'd I'd happily pass along for the cause.

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2022, 03:48:35 PM »
Oh man, I LOVE it. If you need I have some suitable decals that'd I'd happily pass along for the cause.

Thanks Ed.  I actually have some bonus TiVo-made graffiti decals from when he made a few industry name decals for me, including his TiVo trademark.  That Tivo character will definitely end up on the building!  I will work in additional references to familiar "Wire" members, past and present.

Letourneau Gorge was the first reference, since Louis (a/k/a Trainforfun) convinced me to add the non-prototypical steel trestle to my layout.  I was operating on his layout in Montreal and loved his trestle.  Mine, will have a beaver lodge and beaver dam in the water feature near the base.