Author Topic: A Prototype for Sloppy Decaling  (Read 917 times)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
A Prototype for Sloppy Decaling
« on: February 20, 2022, 01:30:31 PM »
+2
The B&O group.io list just had some posts of real locos with some way-off painting.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I wouldn't model this intentionally.  But, maybe it would be OK to run an "oops" for a while, with the excuse that the foreman fired the painter and the hosler needed an engine.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: A Prototype for Sloppy Decaling
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 03:02:12 PM »
I find these “mistakes” humorous, but I always feel like recreating the errors just looks like sloppy modeling.  If you go there, keep the proto photo handy!   ;)

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 03:06:51 PM »
I find these “mistakes” humorous, but I always feel like recreating the errors just looks like sloppy modeling.  If you go there, keep the proto photo handy!   ;)

DFF

This. I don’t think the Rio Grande Southern ever applied a stencil straight after about 1892. But I do because I don’t want to look like even more of a hack than I already do!

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1067
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 03:46:01 PM »
+1
Don't think a single E unit in Penn Central Commuter service was free from similar weird oopsies.

Like this one. Where all 3 units have various states of misaligned panels under the worm logo. Some a bit worse than others.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 03:48:19 PM by dem34 »
-Al

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 05:10:46 PM »
Interesting but agreed that modeling the typical vs the exceptional gives a better overall impression. Make your modeling exceptional skill wise, but reflect the ordinary for it to convey realism.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 07:59:59 PM »
The story emerging for the B&O units is that they were C&O units that were assigned to B&O, and apparently, whoever did the repainting lined up the bottom of the "B" so that it made a horizontal line with the bottom of the "&" that were left over from "C&O".  (The correct B&O logo of that period had the B, & and O with their bottoms aligned, while the C&O had the smaller & raised off the line to be more centered in height of the C and O.)  There are emerging pictures of lots of units with different numbers but that same screwy alignment.  So, it looks like a mental "oops" rather than a mechanical "oops".

Thank goodness that is out of my modeling era!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 11:34:33 AM by Maletrain »

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1067
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 12:13:28 AM »
Interesting but agreed that modeling the typical vs the exceptional gives a better overall impression. Make your modeling exceptional skill wise, but reflect the ordinary for it to convey realism.
Though it is funny when you get a case of sloppy being the typical. I once saw somebody blow up on Reddit about wanting a refund for a small fleet of Intermountain boxcars the guy pre-ordered due to a "Sloppy Paintjob"

Paint job in question being that like the prototype the cars were all painted with a good dusting of overspray bleeding onto the roof. As was typical of the type.
-Al

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 11:41:54 AM »
And here is yet another type of lettering goof.  This time, somebody cocked the & so that the top and bottom loops of the left side are on a vertical line.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Folks on the B&O board are speculating that these locos were repainted by C&O before delivery to B&O, and that these errors might be what we today call "micro-aggressions".

Getting even more glad that is not my era.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +903
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 08:25:34 AM »
Whats the deal with those handrails? Haven't seen anything like that before..
Here is another shot of the same unit (opposite side)..
Here the B&O is off center and spaced differently.
(and extra handrails removed-- or not yet added)

EDIT: Can anyone else see the image links?  They won't load for me..

~Ian
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 08:43:35 AM by learmoia »
~Ian

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 11:32:15 AM »
From what I see posted on the B&O group, those extra rails on the cab ends of the switchers are a C&O innovation, added before those units were reassigned to the B&O.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 12:00:16 PM »
If the extra railing you are referring to is at the cab end of those switchers, those are safety cages meant to protect someone from falling from the raised platform by the door onto the tracks.   NKP had them too.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.