Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/20/22  (Read 5984 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bendtracker1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1546
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1647
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2022, 11:27:23 PM »
0
Got the bridge and track installed today then ran a test train.

 https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=23915.msg735345#msg735345

mu26aeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5865
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4863
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2022, 11:41:36 PM »
0
Picked up 6 Intermountain 5161 Trinity's that I pre-ordered 5 years ago that finally arrived this week, grabbed another one out of the case.  Don't think I need too many more 5161's now :D

Also snagged a few NSC cars from the consignment shelf.  Way out of my era but for the price, will make good trade fodder or flip material

haasmarc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 547
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +973
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 12:03:05 PM »
+27
As a few of you are doing, I am also building a small layout based on Steve Train's micro layout.  My parents had to move into an assisted living apartment so my dad lost his 4x8 N scale layout.  I am building the slightly larger version which ended up being 45"x24".  I will probably do a layout engineering thread at some point but I am trying to get it done quickly so he can enjoy it.

Anyway, I am scratch building 3 buildings for the layout and this is the first one completed.











First time I tried shingles.  I laser cut the fish scales.  That was fun.   :P

The weathering is a little more subdued in real life.


Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14003
  • Respect: +4179
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 01:12:40 PM »
+1
No modeling this week - it's been a bit too cold -- but i completed a ~90% inventory of the layout room -

As I'm getting older - I didn't want to leave my family without a starting point for liquidating the collection when I no longer need it .. I set up an account over at Trovestar to do the data entry - they have a lot of information already on the system ..

It's amazing how quickly it adds up ..



apudelek

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 96
  • SPF with just a bit of NH...
  • Respect: +284
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2022, 01:13:43 PM »
+5
SPF Sunday over here as usual... Two cars I won off the 'Bay last week came in yesterday:  CCS 13DB "New York County"  and CCS Obs "Samuel Vaughn Merrick."  The 13 DB will be another that likely ends up in Boston through sleeper service with the NH, and the Obs will go to the General.

Here's a pic.  GG1 4859 leads an eastbound mail and express train past Train 49, the westbound General, with observation "Samuel Vaughn Merrick" bringing up the markers as protection for "Skyline View," currently in the shops for maintenance.  49 gets an hour head start on the Broadway out of NY, and is racing away into the fading light to keep its 07:15 AM arrival in Chicago.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The "Merrick" running as a protect is really code for "I haven't gotten around to renaming it 'Skyline View' or 'Metropolitan View' yet..."  Also the tailsign will need to be changed to a standard keystone down the road...


Andrew

The Gotham Union Terminal Co.

Modeling the Passenger Operations of the PRR & NH in Electrified Territory

TiogaTracks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 170
  • Respect: +497
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2022, 01:23:40 PM »
+3
I’m trying to revive my interest in long-neglected model train projects from two angles:  For one, I got an HO scale loco and short train to run on my neighbor’s layout.  Better modeling through peer pressure and all that.  It really is funny how small an HO F7A looks next to a towering 1:29 K4s!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And secondly, the test track for the HO train parallels the “staging” for my little 4x8’+ Large-scale trolley layout with a mainline spur.  I set up my exercise bike facing this, so as I enjoy running trains during a captive half-hour, I get inspired to start improving on them, adding to them, etc.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here’s hoping the motivation works, and lasts!

-Steven
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 01:25:44 PM by TiogaTracks »
Wellsville Addison & Galeton RR in 1:29
Still dabbling in N scale
Restoring a full size 1951 Brill bus

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9960
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2022, 04:07:58 PM »
+2
After working on my HOn3 D&RGW Jordan Spreader OU daily for 4 months, I'm finally finished.  I've spent the last two weeks weathering the model, using photos of the prototype as a guide.  The first step was giving the whole model a gloss coat with my airbrush.  Afterwards, I brush painted the blade edges with first a dark gray color representing primer on the prototype and then an acrylic steel on the blade edges.  Next I added a few rust streaks and spots to the model with thinned rust acrylic paint.  I did the same to the couplers.  I then mixed a black wash using Winsor & Newton black oil paint thinned with Turpenoid turpentine.  I gave the same treatment to the trucks.  Since this model is a monochromatic gray color, I figured the wash would both simulate grease and grime as well as create a bit of a shadow effect that helps make the details stand out.  Once I finished this, I sealed the wash with another gloss coat.  I then dry brushed white lightly over a lot of the edges and standing details.  This subtly highlights the raised details and contributes to visually adding depth to an otherwise plain looking gray.  I applied another gloss coat.  Next I used weathering powders, black, gray, rust, and tan, including on the trucks and couplers.  Those were sealed with yet another gloss coat.  The wheels were brush painted railroad tie brown and then given a rust wash.  I then glued the details to the deck.  I like the way the red sledge hammer head gives a little splash of color to the model. I airbrushed a flat coat of Mr Hobby Mr Color Clear Flat thinned with their airbrush thinner.  Lastly I brush painted gloss over the steel blade edges. 

Overall I'm happy with his build.  It was a challenging model from start to finish . . . which at times was both a blessing and a curse.  I think the model turned out to be a good representation of the OU as it appeared in the mid-50s.  Also, I think it's cool that the prototype is 102 years old and still around on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR, and the kit itself was first released almost 50 years ago.  There really aren't very many photos of other modeler's builds of this kit, so it's nice to have built something unusual and unique.



Erik

Looks like a First Place winner for MOW and Weathering to me .


Richie Dost

Frank Amato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1407
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +930
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2022, 05:24:15 PM »
+10
I sealed this D&H boxcar with flat clear after giving the oil fade a few weeks to dry:



And spent some time laying decals down on this GP7; some more setting solution is still needed:



  Frank

btrain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 454
  • I have a one track mind
  • Respect: +1050
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2022, 06:20:41 PM »
+2
Excellent work this week everyone! @haasmarc what did you do to get that chipping effect? It looks really nice when viewed that close.

Worked on building benchwork for my Hiles Tower layout. More details on the engineering thread.

Brian Smith
Ohio Free-moN

haasmarc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 547
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +973
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2022, 10:39:15 PM »
+1
Excellent work this week everyone! @haasmarc what did you do to get that chipping effect? It looks really nice when viewed that close.

btrain,

Basically, I stain the wood to weather it then I brush on craft paint very lightly.  Sometimes dry brushing but usually more than dry brushing but not full on painting.  And I do it board by board.  The paint soaks in and looks very weathered at first.  As you add more paint, the wood looks less weathered so it is easy to control how weathered you want it to look.  On the blue painted boards, I came back and dry brushed some tan paint to tone down the blue.

Check this video out starting at around the 3 minute mark.  It is HO but the process scales well.
/>

Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10584
  • Respect: +1765
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2022, 12:19:51 AM »
+3
-Steven:  If you use the bike regularly, and run your trains on DC, have you considered adding a generator and reversing switch to the bike?  That way you could run the trains off your own energy.

Don't laugh, I've heard of it being done, back in the dark ages of the 30s and 40s.  Commercial power packs weren't commonly available, and many modelers used car batteries, while at least one company sold a "hydroelectric plant" for model trains.  It connected to any handy water faucet!
N Kalanaga
Be well

skytop35

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 810
  • Respect: +910
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2022, 10:13:53 AM »
+14
No modeling for me this weekend but I did run some trains at the Madison,Wi train show.
Bill Denton

TiogaTracks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 170
  • Respect: +497
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2022, 11:44:05 AM »
0
I’ve certainly thought about trying to hook a generator to the bike, since similar accessories used to be common for bike headlights.  But thinking is as far as I’ve gotten, too many other things on the hobby project list!  I love the idea though, if it turns out it could be quick to implement, I’d try it.

-Steven
Wellsville Addison & Galeton RR in 1:29
Still dabbling in N scale
Restoring a full size 1951 Brill bus

Jim Starbuck

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1063
  • Respect: +3142
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2022, 01:19:54 PM »
+22
I had a great time running with the Modutrak crew at the Mad City show this weekend.
As usual didn’t take near enough photos or video but here are a few.

The Austin Minnesota donkey patrol:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The rail crane running out on the main:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

44 Tonner idling on an industrial siding:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Building materials being unloaded on the team track:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

John McCarthy caught this long distance shot. My train was rolling past but the backdrop is actually part of the HO layout across the aisle 15’ away. The crowd happened to part just long enough for him to get the shot then some creative cropping resulted in a cool image.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]





« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:56:20 AM by Jim Starbuck »
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

motofavorite

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 121
  • Respect: +32
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2022, 03:57:25 PM »
0
No modeling for me this weekend but I did run some trains at the Madison,Wi train show.

Nice trains! Especially the NP streamliner. It looks terrific. The slumbercoach reminds me of the NCL, but I didn't see a dome car. Maybe it is The Mainstreeter? Also, I love the wide-open spaces on the curved modules, but my favorite is the station complex.

Thank you for your sharing your trains!