Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/20/22  (Read 5981 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9960
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2877


Richie Dost

rickb773

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 601
  • Gender: Male
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +1062
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 12:20:19 AM »
+9
The second part of my 3 articles is in the February edition of Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine (https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/mrh-202202-february-2022-12271272). Publication limits sometimes scrunch the photos and lose detail. If you want to see the pictures almost full size (and a few additional photos) check out the last 4 posts in my blog (http://rickb773-prsl.blogspot.com/). Only the pictures are there. If you want to know how we run a complete 1950 Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines freight schedule (through Woodbury) you will need to read the magazine article. If you enjoy the article please give it a “Like”.


(Photo from the Bill Lane collection)

The third part will be in the March issue and discusses how to deal with curves on a model layout. It is meant to kick off a discussion on the topic. The article uses photo contributions from @randgust, @wm3798, and @Chris333 and I hope the magazine credits them properly.

In advertising next month’s issue, they used Chris’s photo. The article deals with handling all curves not just the “turnbacks” they imply with the title change.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:50:08 PM by rickb773 »

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19604
  • Respect: +6932
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 02:40:54 AM »
0
Cool beans. Time to quit my job and live off the royalties  :trollface:

BCOL 747

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 228
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +143
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 01:54:00 PM »
+12
Good morning all

Seems to be so little time for modeling lately. These have been on my work bench for several months and just finished them this morning.

Briggs Models 71" Marine Industries Bulkhead flat centerbeam.



Briggs Models 71" Marine Industries Bulkhead flat centerbeam with a piece of styrene added for the top beam.



Briggs Models TOFC Flat Car




Enjoy the weekend and happy modeling everyone.

Chris

« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 01:59:34 PM by BCOL 747 »

PiperguyUMD

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 856
  • Respect: +2258
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 02:39:23 PM »
+15
This month has been brutally busy. But as a musician after the past few years, I'll push through, then take the money and run!

I've only had time to dabble here and there, but I'm happy to report some notable progress on three fronts for me this week. All three of these projects are for the Freemo-N meet at Nashville this summer

1) Roads, er... road is coming to Dawson MD!


2) Windows are printed and installed in WM RPO 182. All thats left to do are decals, metal wheels, and a little weight.


3) 2nd test print of my WM K2 boiler. There are still a few clearance issues to address, and some dimensions to finesse. My main priority is a good clean fit on the BLI mechanism. I'll need to revise the angle of the firebox so that it fits cleanly with the frame, and also bring the 3rd course of the boiler further around to cover the motor. So far so good!


Erik W

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1019
  • Respect: +796
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 03:34:29 PM »
+39
After working on my HOn3 D&RGW Jordan Spreader OU daily for 4 months, I'm finally finished.  I've spent the last two weeks weathering the model, using photos of the prototype as a guide.  The first step was giving the whole model a gloss coat with my airbrush.  Afterwards, I brush painted the blade edges with first a dark gray color representing primer on the prototype and then an acrylic steel on the blade edges.  Next I added a few rust streaks and spots to the model with thinned rust acrylic paint.  I did the same to the couplers.  I then mixed a black wash using Winsor & Newton black oil paint thinned with Turpenoid turpentine.  I gave the same treatment to the trucks.  Since this model is a monochromatic gray color, I figured the wash would both simulate grease and grime as well as create a bit of a shadow effect that helps make the details stand out.  Once I finished this, I sealed the wash with another gloss coat.  I then dry brushed white lightly over a lot of the edges and standing details.  This subtly highlights the raised details and contributes to visually adding depth to an otherwise plain looking gray.  I applied another gloss coat.  Next I used weathering powders, black, gray, rust, and tan, including on the trucks and couplers.  Those were sealed with yet another gloss coat.  The wheels were brush painted railroad tie brown and then given a rust wash.  I then glued the details to the deck.  I like the way the red sledge hammer head gives a little splash of color to the model. I airbrushed a flat coat of Mr Hobby Mr Color Clear Flat thinned with their airbrush thinner.  Lastly I brush painted gloss over the steel blade edges. 

Overall I'm happy with his build.  It was a challenging model from start to finish . . . which at times was both a blessing and a curse.  I think the model turned out to be a good representation of the OU as it appeared in the mid-50s.  Also, I think it's cool that the prototype is 102 years old and still around on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR, and the kit itself was first released almost 50 years ago.  There really aren't very many photos of other modeler's builds of this kit, so it's nice to have built something unusual and unique.





























Erik
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 03:45:49 PM by Erik W »

Bendtracker1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1546
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1647
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 04:54:57 PM »
+1
What a great job you did on the spreader Eric!

Erik W

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1019
  • Respect: +796
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 05:30:03 PM »
+3
What a great job you did on the spreader Eric!
Thanks Allen!  I'm going through some of the early photos now.  It's hard to believe it started out as this:


Erik

narrowminded

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2305
  • Respect: +743
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 06:45:45 PM »
+1
@Erik W  That is outstanding in every way!!!   8)
Mark G.

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5014
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 06:57:45 PM »
+13
Chris:  Very nice looking cars; well done!

Erik W:  Great job on the spreader; beautiful model.


This past week was spent completing the final task for my yards, which was to get the backdrops repaired and painted.  I began by applying two coats of Jesso acrylic primer for texture:

 


The joint between new and old backdrops for Chetwynd was filled and sanded a few times:




I then applied two coats of the same blue paint used on the walls and the underside of the benchwork:




The backdrop joint looks pretty good after painting:




After repairing the left edge of the backdrop at Dawson Creek, it also got the two coats of blue paint:




I also completed design work for the new benchwork for Septimus:






and built a cardboard mock-up to see what it might look like, test viewing angles, etc.:






Permanent installation of Chetwynd, Dawson Creek and lighting canopies is now in progress!

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

bnsfdash8

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 678
  • Respect: +1653
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 08:45:09 PM »
+12
I also spent some time assembling some Briggs kits: BNSF & BN "COIL CARe" cars.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

craigolio1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2738
  • Respect: +2388
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 08:57:21 PM »
0
Good morning all

Seems to be so little time for modeling lately. These have been on my work bench for several months and just finished them this morning.

Briggs Models 71" Marine Industries Bulkhead flat centerbeam.



Briggs Models 71" Marine Industries Bulkhead flat centerbeam with a piece of styrene added for the top beam.



Briggs Models TOFC Flat Car




Enjoy the weekend and happy modeling everyone.

Chris

Those look spectacular! I have completed ten of the TOFC cars but I did the decks green. Would you wind sharing your technique in painting the wood parts? It looks fantastic.

Thanks.

Craig

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6187
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 10:22:05 PM »
+14
Finished painting the RBB&B stockcars and fitted them with trucks and couplers.  They still need touch-up and decals.



Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5398
  • Respect: +1973
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 10:45:02 PM »
+1
Trying out my new $19.95 Ninja "Chop, Mince, Purée, and Make Bushes" contraption from Target, see below.
More on my ATSF LA Division thread...
Otto K.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 10:46:42 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5398
  • Respect: +1973
Re: Weekend Update 2/20/22
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2022, 10:51:38 PM »
0
Finished painting the RBB&B stockcars and fitted them with trucks and couplers.  They still need touch-up and decals.



Bryan, that's just so cool! Beautiful job on some very unique models.
All these need is a few details and some wild animal odors...😬
Otto
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 10:53:20 PM by Cajonpassfan »