Author Topic: Outbox purgatory  (Read 583 times)

motofavorite

• Crew
Outbox purgatory
« on: February 21, 2022, 02:42:48 AM »
I sent a personal message to a member recently. I remember choosing to save a copy. I remember pressing “send." Yet, try as I might, I can't find the message I sent.

I don't mind rewriting the message, but I'm not keen on spamming inboxes because I don't know how to use the message system. Please could someone help me understand what is going on? Thank you.

Chris333

• Crew
Re: Outbox purgatory
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 03:29:49 AM »
I don't think you can see the ones you've sent. At least I can't find mine.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 03:42:50 AM »
It's a little obscure, but you should be able to access your outbox from a pull-down menu in your Messages window, under Sent Items:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 03:47:10 AM »
I have all my sent PMs in the Sent folder.  At lest the ones I haven't purged yet. I used to have to manually check "keep a copy in the Send folder" check box for every PM I sent (and sometimes forgot to do it),  until I found a setting in my profile to make that selection default. Now I don't 'have to remember to check that boxy anymore -- it is always checked.

Chris, do you know how to get to your "Sent" folder and it is empty, or you don't know how to get there?
Will this link get you to your Sent folder? https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?action=pm;f=sent
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 03:51:05 AM »
Doing it the way Gary listed and clicking your link both take me to:
No messages...

Maybe I somehow have it set to not save them?

I don't need to see mine. Just saying, nothing there.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 04:00:17 AM »
Doing it the way Gary listed and clicking your link both take me to:
Maybe I somehow have it set to not save them?

Most likely. That is the default setting.
. . . 42 . . .

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 01:14:21 PM »
I used to have to manually check "keep a copy in the Send folder" check box for every PM I sent (and sometimes forgot to do it),  until I found a setting in my profile to make that selection default. Now I don't 'have to remember to check that boxy anymore -- it is always checked.

Wow, that's the tip of the year for me.  Thanks.

Having to check a box to keep a Sent message is so counter-intuitive to me that I seldom remember to check the box and it's a pain not having that history.  (if nothing else because I sometime can't recall if I actually messaged someone or not)   So I have made that change to my profile and--assuming it works as advertised--that should make for a much better forum experience for me personally.
Doug