Author Topic: BLI PRR-P5A In Now  (Read 19016 times)

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +609
    • The Modern PRR
Re: BLI PRR-P5A In Now
« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2022, 06:27:34 AM »
Posted this in WU a couple of weeks back.  I didn't post it here because it seemed that this thread had gone dormant, but it seems to have been resurrected!  This is an unmodified model.

-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2022, 08:51:18 AM »
Posted this in WU a couple of weeks back.  I didn't post it here because it seemed that this thread had gone dormant, but it seems to have been resurrected!  This is an unmodified model.

Nice! 8)  Will it lap reliably at low speed, 5 and below?  It seems that their keep alive is effective as you up the speed, becoming progressively more reliable up to speed step 30.  Above 30 is pretty solid.
Mark G.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8140
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2022, 10:10:29 AM »
+9
Because it might've been missed elsewhere, I wanted to post it in this thread too.

I think Mark @narrowminded has done a truly incredible thing here that really stands out as what The Railwire is all about.

He saw a problem and came up with a brilliant solution.

And then... he shared his solution, not only in a constructive way with the manufacturer but also with the community here.

So I made up The Railwire a$$hat Extraordinaire medal and awarded it to him.

I hope this serves as an inspiration for others to be great members of our community.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2022, 12:08:53 PM »

I love how, due to the uncommanded stop, it appears that the engineer blew threw a signal and then stopped.  :P

Also, it's good to see the JD again.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +609
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2022, 02:43:46 PM »
Nice! 8)  Will it lap reliably at low speed, 5 and below?  It seems that their keep alive is effective as you up the speed, becoming progressively more reliable up to speed step 30.  Above 30 is pretty solid.

It will not lap reliably at lower speeds.  In fact at this speed, it was making an uncommanded stop about once a lap.  There were several ruined takes.  Given that I haven't put in your modification yet, I find the performance to be very encouraging!

I love how, due to the uncommanded stop, it appears that the engineer blew threw a signal and then stopped.  :P

Also, it's good to see the JD again.

That uncommanded stop made for a perfect glamor shot, so I left it in!  I'm hoping to spend more time running trains, so hopefully I can get more shots of the JD to share.  I certainly have to make another video once I get Mark's mods in!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2022, 04:07:47 PM »
+1
It will not lap reliably at lower speeds.  In fact at this speed, it was making an uncommanded stop about once a lap.  There were several ruined takes.  Given that I haven't put in your modification yet, I find the performance to be very encouraging!

Clean the plating off the wheels and put the spacers in.  The spacers take about five minutes including putting the tools away. :)

For the plating removal I use a foam backed fingernail sander.  Fine grit and it takes it off with minimal effort.  Depending on how clean the wheels are from the factory it might work fine without the wheels cleaned but to be sure I think it would be worth the little bit of effort.  Clean the two trucks and the three metal drive wheels, give it a few laps, and it should be good and reliable for the long haul.  My two have been running reliable for at least 24 running hours now at any speed and not so much as a hitch.

Good luck! :)
Mark G.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2022, 04:26:11 PM »
I ordered two more. :facepalm:  Freight units this time. :)
Mark G.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1093
« Reply #232 on: May 06, 2022, 09:18:16 PM »
Aww yeah, time to leave an Aero Train in the dust with some corridor freight.
-Al

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2022, 09:49:58 PM »
Does that medal come with a parking spot at Altoona (or next year at AC)?   :D

donmars67

• Respect: +1
« Reply #234 on: July 15, 2022, 01:37:32 PM »
+1
As a new member to this forum, I contacted BLI about this P5A issue. They were very responsive, but said that the P5A contact problem was not widespread. They provided the following guidance of how to fix if this occurred on your model:

So far we have not had a large number of inquiries for pickup issues on this model. However the ones that we have received so far have all been
remedied by:

Pulling down on the trailing trucks and also tightening the pickup lugs on the chassis of the engine. There are 2 for each trailing truck. They secure the wires running from each rail on the pickup truck.

So far we have been able to solve any pickup issues with this. We have not made any of the 3d printed parts due to the low number of inquiries
and the above fix working for the ones we have had. If you still have issues just let me know and I can help you further

dem34

• Crew
« Reply #235 on: July 15, 2022, 07:43:50 PM »
Its actually quite interesting that they acknowledge the 3D printed spacer fix. Ok info but I'm going to be honest those were both the first things I messed with myself when I found mine couldn't start on its own. Guess we'll see if the rarity of the problem rings true based on how many end up in the refurb store.
-Al

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4319
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #236 on: July 15, 2022, 10:43:51 PM »
As a new member to this forum, I contacted BLI about this P5A issue. They were very responsive, but said that the P5A contact problem was not widespread. They provided the following guidance of how to fix if this occurred on your model:

The BLI "solution" doesn't fix the issue, it only makes it less pronounced.  Mark's remedy with the 3D spacer that limits the vertical range that the pilot trucks can flex upward fixes the issue.  I took it a step further by swapping out the flangeless driver wheelset and traction tire wheelset with standard driver wheelsets, so that all 14 wheels pick up current.  I have no issues sacrificing pulling power because the prototype couldn't pull a lot of tonnage either. 

Only the one standard driver wheelset and the pilot truck pick up current on the stock model.  The flangeless wheel is wired to pick up power, but it floats .020" above the rail top and never makes contact.  With the pilot trucks not load-bearing and freely bouncing around, only the one driver wheelset consistently picks up power.  An extremely poor design, but fortunately one that can be corrected.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4682
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #237 on: July 16, 2022, 08:15:16 PM »
Guess we'll see if the rarity of the problem rings true based on how many end up in the refurb store.

I'm not sure if I follow.  Do all the models returned for repair by customers end up in the refurb store?  I would think that BLI would repair most of them, and return them back to customers. No?
. . . 42 . . .

dem34

• Crew
« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2022, 12:14:33 AM »
I'm not sure if I follow.  Do all the models returned for repair by customers end up in the refurb store?  I would think that BLI would repair most of them, and return them back to customers. No?

From what I've heard, atleast in the past. Was that they'd take repairs back then just give the customer back a new out of the box locomotive. Then once repairs were done on the original model it would be placed on the refurb store.
-Al

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4682
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2022, 01:00:09 AM »
+1
From what I've heard, atleast in the past. Was that they'd take repairs back then just give the customer back a new out of the box locomotive. Then once repairs were done on the original model it would be placed on the refurb store.

Interesting.
If that is true, IMO it is not a very good business model.
. . . 42 . . .