Author Topic: sealing decals on factory painted brass  (Read 374 times)

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
sealing decals on factory painted brass
« on: November 07, 2023, 01:20:23 PM »
I have recently acquired three brass N scale connies from the 1990s.  They are factory painted and lettered but not numbered.  I have applied number decals but am not 100% sure about how to seal them.  I have a couple bottles of old (10 years?) Dullcote and a can of Krylon Matte.  I have used both successfully many times on plastic loco decaling, but I've never sealed decals to brass locos before.  I'd think either of these should be fine on a factory painted (Samhongsa) loco.  Your thoughts?  FYI, I used Micro Set and Micro Sol in application of the decals.  At this point, the decal film is virtually invisible.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1261
Re: sealing decals on factory painted brass
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 07:01:52 PM »
+1
I have recently acquired three brass N scale connies from the 1990s.  They are factory painted and lettered but not numbered.  I have applied number decals but am not 100% sure about how to seal them.  I have a couple bottles of old (10 years?) Dullcote and a can of Krylon Matte.  I have used both successfully many times on plastic loco decaling, but I've never sealed decals to brass locos before.  I'd think either of these should be fine on a factory painted (Samhongsa) loco.  Your thoughts?  FYI, I used Micro Set and Micro Sol in application of the decals.  At this point, the decal film is virtually invisible.

On many of my brass steam engines I don't seal the decals.  I'm pretty careful with them when handling them, so they don't come off, and some decal/numbering jobs I've had done for nearly three decades without any decal deterioration.

I'd say that if you can't see the edges of the decal film and the gloss (or lack of gloss) is close to the factory paint's, then let them dry for a few days and be done with it.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 10:32:57 PM »
Thanks Bob. I was actually wondering about that. I’m also very careful about handling any of my equipment, be it brass or plastic. I don’t like to handle things more than necessary.  I may end up leaving them as is.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 02:03:31 AM »
I've painted a few brass objects, and numbered a few more, and have never treated the decals any differently than on plastic models.  Dullcote won't hurt brass or styrene, so all that matters is the paint itself.  Unless that is some weird lacquer, there shouldn't be any problems.

And, if you're airbrushing, any water-based acrylic should be safe.
N Kalanaga
Be well