Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/23/22  (Read 7396 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
Re: Weekend Update 1/23/22
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 07:28:58 PM »
+3
For my HOn3 D&RGW Jordan Spreader OU build this week I worked on the details that will occupy the rear deck of the spreader.  In looking at photos, there would usually be a couple of re-railing frogs on the rear deck.  Last weekend I had considered ordering the Nolan and Buda type re-railing frogs prevalent on the D&RGW from Precision Scale Co on ebay, but I figured in the time it took them to get here I could just scratch build them myself . . . and save about $20.  So, with the dimensions from plans I have, and photos of O scale brass parts and prototype photos I found, I scratch built both re-railing frogs.  I also scratch built a sledge hammer and found a shovel on a parts sprue left over from a 1/72 scale armor build, that when measured, scales out perfectly to 1/87 scale.  With these details and some extra chain and a few pieces of scale lumber, the rear deck has the cluttered look of the prototype.  The only other thing I did to the spreader was the stack on the deck house looked too big to me.  I removed the .100" tube and replaced it with a .080" tube and added the water deflector around it.  Now it's time to clean up the model and get a coat of gray primer on it.

I was wondering why this build has taken so long, so I counted the parts.  356 individual parts and pieces!  All in a model 4.75" long x 1.5" wide.  What's interesting too is that this is a true multi-media build, with parts from wood, laser cut plywood, white metal, nickel silver, brass, phosphor bronze, plastic, sytrene, delrin, rubber, and resin.

I broke out the blue background for these last photos before the model is covered in paint.  :)

Erik

Man. That looks good. When models have that much detail it’s almost a shame to paint them as it camouflages it.

Well done. Very nice model.

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3331
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 09:20:03 PM »
+1
What is the feasibility of using the true scale couplers on the heavyweight passenger cars?

I've not tried that (I use MT Z scale 905's between MT heavyweight cars).  I think it would work, but just remember you're not going to get very much side to side movement from them so your curve radius would have to be pretty big.
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 12:18:55 AM »
+1
I've not tried that (I use MT Z scale 905's between MT heavyweight cars).  I think it would work, but just remember you're not going to get very much side to side movement from them so your curve radius would have to be pretty big.

That and long crossovers...
Otto

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 01:11:57 AM »
+14
Rebounding from a nasty non-COVID illness.  My cardboard mock-up for the Alberta Wheat Pool grain elevator and fertilizer shed at Tremblay is now complete:

Although situated next to Tremblay siding, the grain elevator was named for the nearby unincorporated hamlet of Groundbirch.  This replaces the Walthers plastic structures which were the wrong colour and shape.

I have also been working on the wiring revisions under the left half of Chetwynd Yard, which includes tying in new track feeders, terminating old ones, moving servo controllers and supplying them with auxiliary power.  I started by tagging all of the items to be dealt with:

As of tonight the work is essentially complete.  The one remaining tag is for the toggle switch to the new Imperial Oil spur, which is waiting on installation of a new control panel mount.  The same area now looks like this:

Getting closer to hanging the yards, which will be an important step forward.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 02:19:15 AM »
From the header post:  How did the Trolley Museum paint their boxcar?  With a paintball gun?
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 03:39:21 AM »
+1
Rebounding from a nasty non-COVID illness.  My cardboard mock-up for the Alberta Wheat Pool grain elevator and fertilizer shed at Tremblay is now complete:

I have also been working on the wiring revisions under the left half of Chetwynd Yard, which includes tying in new track feeders, terminating old ones, moving servo controllers and supplying them with auxiliary power.  I started by tagging all of the items to be dealt with:

As of tonight the work is essentially complete.  The one remaining tag is for the toggle switch to the new Imperial Oil spur, which is waiting on installation of a new control panel mount.  The same area now looks like this:

Tim

As usual, that is some darn impressive wiring job Tim.  Also nice is that you can work on it without having to lay on your back.

I think this woudl be a good candidate for a banner image.  What do you think @DKS  ?
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 09:19:38 AM »
+27
Finished the pilot model of the reduction gear in time for Springfield. Couldn’t find a good pale yellow that covered in model paint, so I decanted some Rustoleum 2X Ultra-Cover sun yellow into a 2oz jar and airbrushed that. Super-thin lacquer enamel paint with amazing coverage.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3331
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 11:09:57 AM »
+12
Lowell Smith just announced a new train - Louisville and Nashville "Pan American". I have a little soft spot for this since my dad at one timed owned a full sized ACF heavyweight business car off the NC&StL (which was purchased by the L&N and had pretty much the same passenger car livery). Anyways, thought I should get to work finding motive power for it. I found one (lost the second one to another bidder) L&N E8 on ebay that I'm going to work up for the train. The loco needed some TLC, but that's fine since I was going to work on the details anyways.

Shaved off the plastic steps that had not broken off and got it test fit on a Kato E7 mechanism. It fits well with some slight alterations to the inside of the shell.

I still have a lot of work to do on it (mostly paint), but it's a step in the right direction.

Prototype photos I found on the net (sorry about not being able to give credit to the photographer).  The first one is the L&N E8 that is sitting at the depot museum in Bowling Green, KY.  The second shows an E6 with and E8 trailing on either the "Humming Bird" or the "Pan American" in the early 50's.

/>

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 11:12:43 AM »
+2

Tim

With mock-ups like that, who needs models?  :D

Jim

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 11:24:27 AM »
I purchased two AB sets of the new Kato F7's in Milw paint in order to cobble together an ABA set (which is the configuration that they were purchased in by the Milwaukee).  I removed the numbers and bought a set of the extra numberboards for the Kato FP7's (yes, the number is for an FP7, but most will not know that).  I installed new couplers (unimates between units, a MT True-Scale on the nose of the lead unit, and a MT coupler on the trailing unit), added windshield wipers, added Digitrax DN-163K0b decoders, and weathered them.  Before weathering and before I installed the wipers, I masked the windshields so that it looks like the wipers are functionable.  A nice little effect that isn't too hard to execute. 

I did complete the other B unit as well which I may put up on the better known auction site to sell, or I might just use it when I'm not running prototypically for a 4 unit set.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I decided on an ABBA set for my ore train 88 ABCD.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 05:13:34 PM by sd45elect2000 »

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2022, 03:57:18 PM »
+7
Started work on this Pullman 5344 D&H boxcar by patching the reweigh data.  Don't look too close at the numbers, as my Microscale sheet was out of the 154000 pound decals  :P

I replaced the trucks with Micro-Trains to better match the prototype, and filed down the bolsters 'cause ride height matters.  Fading is next!

Frank
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:07:23 PM by amato1969 »

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »
For my HOn3 D&RGW Jordan Spreader OU build this week \
Erik

superb modeling!
wow...

G
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

glakedylan

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2022, 04:23:41 PM »
Rebounding from a nasty non-COVID illness. 
Tim

that wiring looks beyond orderly and professional
super work

G

glakedylan

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2022, 04:26:55 PM »
Bryan...that load and car look great...kudos on the build

G

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2022, 05:51:27 PM »
+5
Not much lately worth showing. But did CAD up an H39B so my AZL SD45s have something to pull without breaking my wallet.

-Al