Author Topic: Installing DCC Sound in Brass Steam  (Read 1595 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Installing DCC Sound in Brass Steam
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2022, 01:28:12 PM »
probably less than a quarter of these are N, the rest are HO ... none larger ..  i find the better installs do include a chuff cam though, well mostly, lol

That's what I thought. Chuff cams in N scale are very challenging to say the least.
I'm also curious about the term "bump gear". Never heard it before now.  Is this something you coined yourself, or heard others using it to describe chuff cam?
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 03:01:48 PM »
If you're looking to do steam sound installs, I highly recommend getting the 2016 NTRAK steam annual.

https://nrail.org/Sys/Store/Products/58691

Our own @jdcolombo has an excellent article on the topic in it.

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 10:04:37 AM »
That's what I thought. Chuff cams in N scale are very challenging to say the least.
I'm also curious about the term "bump gear". Never heard it before now.  Is this something you coined yourself, or heard others using it to describe chuff cam?

don't really remember, i have been using the term 'bump gear' for a while i guess ..

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 05:31:39 PM »
I do not think that I have seen a chuff cam on an N scale loco. Seen a few disc put on a driver that had number of contact pads on the disc with a wiper to trigger the chuff. Very touchy.
Most HO Scale steamers used a Hall Efect module and some times a reed switch with magnets on a driver.
Worked on a few G SCALE steamers that used a cam and a set of points to control the chuffs.
Those were some what troublesome has most would give you a point bounce, there for you would get a double chuff.
Changed to a reed switch and magnets on a driver to make them work well.

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 10:13:06 AM »
the ones that i have installed with a bump gear didn't have the anti-bounce circuitry on either point style systems or hall effect setups ... not one of them, they were easy to make, but tight on room, especially on N scale small steamers ... great fun !