Author Topic: Splicing Micro-Trains Passenger car roofs  (Read 2026 times)

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
Splicing Micro-Trains Passenger car roofs
« on: January 11, 2022, 05:28:51 PM »
So... I know this is a thing, and I know there are several here who have done it. I need to get a 70' roof down to 65. Any tips?

Thanks for the help!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
Re: Splicing Micro-Trains Passenger car roofs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 05:30:18 PM »
So... I know this is a thing, and I know there are several here who have done it. I need to get a 70' roof down to 65. Any tips?

Thanks for the help!

Can you cut it out of the middle?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 05:35:40 PM »
Measure twice, cut once?  :D

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 05:43:26 PM »
Can you cut it out of the middle?

I could. I'm trying to get over the fact that the ridge spacing will be uneven, but I think that will be the case no matter what. The only other option would be to try to hide it at one end.

I know that the cut being square is critical. I've been contemplating using my table saw sled. Super overkill, but I know its square and pending a few tests with a high tooth count blade, should make it a simple job. What kind of adhesives are you guys using to stick them back together?

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 07:38:10 PM »
+3
I don't have a table saw, and haven't tried shortening this kind of roof, but here is my process for splicing plastic parts:

1. I don't expect my cut to be perfect, nor perfectly square.  I cut it close but a little too long, then sand (NWSL Tru-Sander, for example) to exact fit.
2. I like to soften the cut ends a bit with plastic solvent before pushing them together.  My experience is that this helps create stronger joint than just trying to wick solvent between two close-fitting pieces.
3. I reinforce the splice on the inside with some styrene.
4. I use putty to smooth out the splice on the outside, unless it's hidden by a feature like a ridge or groove.    Rivet strips don't hide splices very well  :facepalm:
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 08:28:43 PM »
I don't have a table saw, and haven't tried shortening this kind of roof, but here is my process for splicing plastic parts:

1. I don't expect my cut to be perfect, nor perfectly square.  I cut it close but a little too long, then sand (NWSL Tru-Sander, for example) to exact fit.
2. I like to soften the cut ends a bit with plastic solvent before pushing them together.  My experience is that this helps create stronger joint than just trying to wick solvent between two close-fitting pieces.
3. I reinforce the splice on the inside with some styrene.
4. I use putty to smooth out the splice on the outside, unless it's hidden by a feature like a ridge or groove.    Rivet strips don't hide splices very well  :facepalm:

This, exactly. Done it many times. I’d cut one piece to include a rib at the end, make sure that’s square, cut the other piece over length and then carefully reduce its length until you have a perfect fit. The rib will hide any minor imperfections.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 08:43:18 PM »
I had to split two parlor roofs down the middle lengthwise to get a roof without a/c ducts for a diner. I used a milling machine to do it. A jewelers saw and a miter box should be sufficient to get square cuts crosswise.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 09:09:15 PM »
I had to split two parlor roofs down the middle lengthwise to get a roof without a/c ducts for a diner. I used a milling machine to do it. A jewelers saw and a miter box should be sufficient to get square cuts crosswise.

That sounds like a nightmare! I don't have those in my stash of tools, but I probably should. I have a bin of scraps from a number of would working projects, I'd also thought about making a small shooting board to square up the cuts.

Pizzaparty

• Respect: +7
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 12:22:52 PM »
Measure twice, cut once?  :D

Or measure twice, cut once, swear, measure again, then cut?

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 02:13:07 PM »
Or measure twice, cut once, swear, measure again, then cut?

Still better than "I don't get it - I cut it twice and it's still too short!"

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 02:47:32 PM »
This might be a perfect job for the mini-table saw: https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-Miniature-Table-Saw_2

I have one on @DKS 's recommendation. I love it.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3047
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 04:39:05 PM »
Don't forget to shave off the retaining bumps on the side flanges or they will no longer sanp into theire respective pockets. OF make new pockets for them to snap into, else you will be gluing that roof in.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 08:08:00 PM »
Speaking of gluing passenger car roofs:  Some of the Rivarossi, Rowa and Concor models tend to have warped roofs that don't snap down tight enough to look decent.  I am considering putting nuts on the 4 corners and maybe in the middle of the sides, and putting long screws in guide tubes that come up through the floor and engage the nuts.  Has anybody else done that already?  Hints?

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 06:56:57 AM »
Don't forget to shave off the retaining bumps on the side flanges or they will no longer sanp into theire respective pockets. OF make new pockets for them to snap into, else you will be gluing that roof in.

Thanks for the reminder! I nearly shaved these off when I first started measuring up the project. I’m going to try keeping them and add pockets to the car sides once I know the arrangement on the reassembled roof.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 08:03:21 AM »
I also have a small block of steel that is perfectly true, 1”x2”x6”. It’s perfect for filing off excess length of cut pieces and filing the pieces square with a Bastard file. You align the cut face of the part with one of the faces on the block, and file flat across the face of the block to get a true face on the part.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 08:05:49 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net