Author Topic: Medium shank coupler for Kato Amfleet?  (Read 434 times)

Bart1701

• Crew
  • Respect: +135
Medium shank coupler for Kato Amfleet?
« on: January 11, 2022, 11:30:29 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to replace Kato Amfleet couplers with a medium shank coupler? I want to stay with truck mounted couplers since almost all of my passenger equipment has truck mounted couplers. I am looking for something that would fit in the existing coupler pocket.

Kato had listed a medium shank coupler for the Amfleets - and I ordered a package of them. After trying for about an hour to get them into the coupler pocket, it just didn't look like they were compatible. I talked to Kato and after they looked at the couplers and the coupler pockets, they agreed with me and removed them from the Amfleet parts list!

The reason I want to do this is to be able to run some Amfleets with my Rapido Horizon cars. I have one or two spots on my layout where the radius must be a bit tight to do this since I always get derailments when I try to run these cars together. I also had the issue with the Horizon cars by themselves, but solved that by using Micro-Trains 1016 medium shank couplers.

I know I will sacrifice the close-coupling characteristics on the Amfleets by doing this, but I can live with that if it lets me build the consists I am looking to do.

Thanks,
Bart