Author Topic: Wheel/Truck Conversion for Old N Atlas (Italy) Passenger Cars?  (Read 842 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +521
Wheel/Truck Conversion for Old N Atlas (Italy) Passenger Cars?
« on: January 05, 2022, 04:15:55 PM »
Until such time where I decide to spring for something newer, I wanted to try to get some of my really old N scale Atas (Italy) passenger cars up and running to pull behind my new GS-4. These still even have horn hook couplers and roll terrible but, surprisingly, the SP Daylight paint and lettering is pretty decent considering the age. Still, I don't want to invest very much time or money into them. Has anyone tacked these before? Does the MT 1017 truck fit these and, if so, do you use the original screw bolster? Or is there a newer metal wheelset that fits the original trucks that makes them roll better? Bonus question applies to an old RAWA car of similar vintage with those weird claw-like bolster connections vs. a bolster pin. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 06:45:09 PM by GaryHinshaw »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1748
Re: Wheel/Truck Conversion for Old N Atlas (Italy) Passenger Cars?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 04:29:33 PM »
Also curious if there's a quick & easy conversion, too. I have a few of these I bought 50 years ago (yikes!!!) I want to paint into N&W livery to run behind my J.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1164
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 04:42:41 PM »
Until such time where I decide to spring for something newer, I wanted to try to get some of my really old N scale Atas (Italy) passenger cars up and running to pull behind my new GS-4. These still even have horn hook couplers and roll terrible but, surprisingly, the SP Daylight paint and lettering is pretty decent considering the age. Still, I don't want to invest very much time or money into them. Has anyone tacked these before? Does the MT 1017 truck fit these and, if so, do you use the original screw bolster? Or is there a newer metal wheelset that fits the original trucks that makes them roll better? Bonus question applies to an old RAWA car of similar vintage with those weird claw-like bolster connections vs. a bolster pin. Thanks!

The MT 1017's will work for the Atlas cars. Sorry, not sure about the Rowa. They may work for them as well.

Regards,
Wolf

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +448
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 04:56:54 PM »
As Wolf said, the MT 1017 trucks work for the Atlas/Rivarossi cars, and also for Rowa.  On the Rivarossi you use the existing kingpinn screw.

On the Rowa (not RAWA) cars it's a little more involved - you have to insert a plug in the kingpin hole.  Then you attach the truck with a Micro-Trains push-in kingpin.  The MT truck comes with the plug and instructions.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +521
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 05:01:45 PM »
OK, thanks for the info, guys!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1748
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 05:04:03 PM »
Ditto!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2932
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 07:53:43 PM »
Horn Hook couplers?  In N scale?
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +2031
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 08:06:03 PM »
+2
The MTL trucks, first released in the 1970s, are undersized with 33” wheels to match the RivaRossi trucks. Kato trucks actually fit underneath and have the car riding at the correct height.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »
The MTL trucks, first released in the 1970s, are undersized with 33” wheels to match the RivaRossi trucks.

I'm not sure if it was a compatibility issue (since the couplers are truck mounted anyway). Back then Kadee Micro-Trains didn't even make 36" wheels. All they made were 33-inchers.
. . . 42 . . .

motofavorite

• Respect: +2
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 10:18:04 AM »
The MTL trucks, first released in the 1970s, are undersized with 33” wheels to match the RivaRossi trucks. Kato trucks actually fit underneath and have the car riding at the correct height.

(Attachment Link)
I apologize for wandering off topic, but I like the weathering on Huron Rapids. What steps do you take to achieve that appearance. Thanks!

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1884
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 11:04:49 AM »
+2
As Wolf said, the MT 1017 trucks work for the Atlas/Rivarossi cars, and also for Rowa.  On the Rivarossi you use the existing kingpinn screw.

On the Rowa (not RAWA) cars it's a little more involved - you have to insert a plug in the kingpin hole.  Then you attach the truck with a Micro-Trains push-in kingpin.  The MT truck comes with the plug and instructions.

I hate this method. The MT plug is delrin and does not like to be glued in place.  I have resorted to melting them in place in the inside of the car, until I found a better way.  Use 1/8" OD styrene rod after drilling out the hole and glue in place with thin testors or Tamiya glue.  After the glue sets drill a 2mm hole in the center of the rod to accept the MT bolster pin.

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 09:17:10 PM »
If I recall correctly, the truck mount on the Atlas/Riv. heavyweights (not sure about the smooth side cars) is lightly domed which does not play particularly well with the MT truck, which has a raised ring around the mounting hole. I filed the domed bit down a bit to provide a flat surface, which also lowered the car a bit as a bonus. I seem to remember that the cars would wobble a bit otherwise. But don’t file too much or the truck mounting screw will have too much play and rub on the center axle (fixable by adding a plastic shim/washer to the car interior). And 36” wheels do not fit the older style MT 3 axle truck.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +2031
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 09:50:38 PM »
I apologize for wandering off topic, but I like the weathering on Huron Rapids. What steps do you take to achieve that appearance. Thanks!

Just a dust wash airbrushed along the lower portions. Nothing extensive.

If I recall correctly, the truck mount on the Atlas/Riv. heavyweights (not sure about the smooth side cars) is lightly domed which does not play particularly well with the MT truck, which has a raised ring around the mounting hole. I filed the domed bit down a bit to provide a flat surface, which also lowered the car a bit as a bonus. I seem to remember that the cars would wobble a bit otherwise. But don’t file too much or the truck mounting screw will have too much play and rub on the center axle (fixable by adding a plastic shim/washer to the car interior). And 36” wheels do not fit the older style MT 3 axle truck.

The Kato trucks fit perfectly. I neglected to mention though that the electrical contact tabs on top of the trucks need to be bent down 90 degrees toward center. The existing shouldered screws hold the trucks in place.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 01:10:00 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 11:02:11 PM »

The domed mount is only on one end,  and it is done to allow that truck to pivot from side to side, for better contact with track that is not even.  It is sort of like a 3-point suspension for the car.  The wheels of the truck that does not pivot make the 2 points, and the truck on the domed side is the 3rd "point".  Making that domed surface flat, you basically removed the 3-point suspension feature.

Most (if not all) N scale passenger and freight cars (including MTL) utilize this type of suspension (using various methods to enable one truck to pivot from side to side).  I suspect that the current releases still have that feature, but I have not checked.
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 02:36:23 AM »

Picture attached is not a Rivarossi car.