Author Topic: Hot air rework station for soldering?  (Read 352 times)

motofavorite

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
Hot air rework station for soldering?
« on: February 23, 2022, 05:07:16 PM »
I need a new soldering setup. Lately I've read many reviews of KSGER T12 stations and probes (for example, https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/t12-soldering-station.html), but many of these have a high threshold for the low-end temperature set point, or at least higher than some of the low temperature solders I use with white metal soldering. I find it hair-raising enough to solder white metal, so I need all of the help I can for those tasks.

Internet searches for low temperature soldering often lead me into “hot air rework station” territory. I can’t think of any articles in model railroading literature where I’ve read “Now reach for your hot air rework device and carefully solder X to Y.”  Is this equipment useful for ordinary soldering in our hobby? Or should I stick with a T12 clone?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 08:11:07 PM by motofavorite »

woodone

• Crew
Re: Hot air rework station for soldering?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 05:26:09 PM »
+1
I think that the hot air units are more for printed circuit work. they use a nozzle to direct the flow of hot air to the place you are working with.
I would think controlling the heat to a wire or the likes of, might be a challenge.

motofavorite

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 06:00:40 PM »
That was my suspicion. Also - at least for an amateur solderer like me - a jet of hot air and molten solder carry their own challenges. Thank you for your reply..

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +611
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 06:43:04 PM »
+1
I think that the hot air units are more for printed circuit work. they use a nozzle to direct the flow of hot air to the place you are working with.
I would think controlling the heat to a wire or the likes of, might be a challenge.

Also, in printed circuit work, this technique is used on components specifically designed for this soldering technique.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +3258
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 07:17:45 PM »
+1
I have used a Pace brand hot air rework station when I worked as a hardware technician back in the '80s.  Its purpose is to solder multi-pin SMD components while using solder paste.  I suppose you could also ltry to unsolder small SMD components like caps or resistors,  but it is not very quick or effective.

I actually own a Pace rework station which includes a hot jet nozzle, but I very rarely used for my electronic rework.

Here is a newer version of the one I own.

. . . 42 . . .