Author Topic: Getting email notifications for posts or getting a "digest"?  (Read 977 times)

FlightRisk

Getting email notifications for posts or getting a "digest"?
« on: January 03, 2022, 12:07:47 PM »
I can't find any settings in my profile to have replies to my messages notify me by email or perhaps get a digest of all the new posts for that week. Are there settings for that somewhere? Thank you!

Fred

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Getting email notifications for posts or getting a "digest"?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 03:52:15 PM »
I can't find any settings in my profile to have replies to my messages notify me by email or perhaps get a digest of all the new posts for that week. Are there settings for that somewhere? Thank you!

Fred

Not that I know of.  Those types of features are usually available for email lists (like groups.io), not for online forums like the Railwire.
The only email notifications I know of here are for Personal Messages (PMs).
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 05:15:16 PM »
There is a notify button, but I have never known the use, TBH.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 06:09:48 PM »
There is a notify button, but I have never known the use, TBH.

Interesting.  I just clicked it (for the first time).  A popup window shows up stating "Are you sure you wish to enable notification of new topics for this board?".
So I guess you can get notified when a new topic is added to the particular section of the forum.   Not something I'm interested in.  This forum has fairly low count of sections, and traffic that is low enough that I can login and just check all the sections for interesting threads or posts.
. . . 42 . . .

fire5506

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 12:39:38 AM »
When you are looking at a message thread there is a "notify" button both at the top and the bottom of the thread and those are if you want to know if there are replies to that thread.
There is also a "notify" button when you are in a board page if you want to know if you want to be notified when any new topics are posted.

Richard Webster
Richard looking at MP 242 when working for the FEC Rwy. Retired now.

NMRA member Sunshine region

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 01:00:20 AM »
When you are looking at a message thread there is a "notify" button both at the top and the bottom of the thread and those are if you want to know if there are replies to that thread.
There is also a "notify" button when you are in a board page if you want to know if you want to be notified when any new topics are posted.

Richard Webster

Good catch Richard - I learned something new.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 08:21:23 AM »
I get an e-mail that notifies me when I am mentioned in a TRW post.  I am not sure how that happens, but it is associated with the use of an active "@" link to my account in the text of the post.  Just typing @Maletrain seems to not work.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 08:26:01 AM by Maletrain »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 01:08:23 PM »
I get an e-mail that notifies me when I am mentioned in a TRW post.  I am not sure how that happens, but it is associated with the use of an active "@" link to my account in the text of the post.  Just typing @Maletrain seems to not work.

I also get email for the same reason.  I'm surprised that when you typed in the @ symbol with your user name, it did not automatically turn into a notification link.

When I type your name that way it will become a link like @Maletrain  which notifies you of the mention.

The way it works is as I'm typing the @ symbol followed by someone's name, as I'm typing a popup  menu shows up showing all the names with matching characters.  I then click on the name I want and that is how it works for me.   But while I;m still editing, the notification looks like plain text. It turns into the link after I hit the "Post" button.

EDIT: when I then come back and edit this message, I see the following code replacing the simple "@Maletrain" text:
Code: [Select]
[member=4583]Maletrain[/member]
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 01:23:04 PM »
Hi Peteski.  Yes, when I typed the "@" symbol and started typing "Maletrain", a blue window did pop up with "Maletrain" in it, and I clicked on that.  But, I never got an e-mail notification from it, so I went back and edited my post to say it did not work. 

But, I did get a notification from you doing it in your following post.

So, maybe the program is just smart enough to not bother notifying somebody that he tried to notify himself?  :?  Or is it time to renew my Plaid Membership?  ;)

At least I learned something today.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 01:44:57 PM »
Hi Peteski.  Yes, when I typed the "@" symbol and started typing "Maletrain", a blue window did pop up with "Maletrain" in it, and I clicked on that.  But, I never got an e-mail notification from it, so I went back and edited my post to say it did not work. 

But, I did get a notification from you doing it in your following post.

So, maybe the program is just smart enough to not bother notifying somebody that he tried to notify himself?  :?  Or is it time to renew my Plaid Membership?  ;)

At least I learned something today.

You didn't get notified from your message because there your name is not a link - it somehow turned into plain text.  To verify go and edit that post, and you will see that it has not been changed into the special code needed for notification.  You can notify yourself form your own message.  @peteski works for me.  Notice that it is a clickable link.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 02:25:18 PM »
I did notice that the @Maletrain did not turn into a link, even though I clicked on it.  This post is a test.  The "@Maletrain" to the left did not turn into a link when I typed it and did not click on the "Maletrain" option in the pop up box.  And it did not go to a link when I put it into quotes, but, here I type @Maletrain and click on the "Maletrain" in the popup box.  All of them look the same in the posting box.

OK, this is an edit after posting and looking at what happened.  Now, where I put an "@" in front of "Maletrain", I get a link, even when I put it in quotes, and it does not depend on clicking the suggestion in the pop up box.  So, there are now 3 links in the above paragraph.  And a mystery as to how I could have not ended up with a link in my first post.   :?

Now, as for notifications, I still have not received any for this post, even though it does show links.  But, I did get a notification of your linked mention of me.  If some notification(s) come through later, I will add that to this post.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 02:35:16 PM by Maletrain »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 02:43:01 PM »
Just like the forum software does not allow you to like your own posts.  Otherwise, @peteski would been the lead with more than 27,000 respect points.  :trollface:

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 07:04:44 PM »
You are correct on both counts DFF!  :)
The "at peteski" notification link I created in my own post did not notify me via email.

@Maletrain , I agree that it is a mystery how you managed to create that "@" link without the link part.  Computers sometimes do unexplained things (although in the end humans are usually to blame).
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2022, 07:27:55 PM »
Well, now that we have written this part of the users' manual by trial and error, I wonder if we have actually answered the question(s) the OP had in mind. 

It seems that the e-mail notifications for mentioning a member in any individual post need to be explicitly made to produce an e-mail notification by putting the member's name in the post with the "@" in front of it.

But, a member can use the "Notify" button that appears at the top and bottom of a thread to set up e-mail notifications to himself whenever there is any post to that thread.

And, a member can also use the "Notify" button that appears at the top and bottom of a "board" to get e-mail notifications whenever a new thread is started on that individual board.

But, it does not appear to be possible to get a "digest" by e-mail that combines all of the posts to a thread or board over a period of time like a day or week.