Author Topic: Resin printer artifacts: a limitation?  (Read 983 times)

simsuper80

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Resin printer artifacts: a limitation?
« on: January 28, 2022, 12:28:38 PM »
I have been printing trains for the past year and a half, and litteraly every single print has had these lines/waves on the sides of the cars. Sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes not nearly as much. So far, I still have not found a way to get rid of this problem and I am starting to wonder if this is a 3d printer limitation.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: Resin printer artifacts: a limitation?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 12:32:56 PM »
I'm probably not the one who is going to provide you the answer you're looking for.
However, with that said, I don't know if anyone else will be able to either, unless you can upload a much better, higher Res. in focus photo.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

simsuper80

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 12:49:13 PM »
I'm probably not the one who is going to provide you the answer you're looking for.
However, with that said, I don't know if anyone else will be able to either, unless you can upload a much better, higher Res. in focus photo.

Although I think the artifact is obvious in the photo, I can try again

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 12:52:20 PM »
I'm just trying to help.

It's obvious to you because you know what it is you're looking at, contrary to the rest of us.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 12:53:46 PM »
Although I think the artifact is obvious in the photo, I can try again

Maybe to you, since you know it is there.  All I see is just a blob inside of the circled area.  Maybe it gets compressed or otherwise modified when it is uploaded to the forum?  Here it is shown full size.

. . . 42 . . .

simsuper80

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 01:01:54 PM »
Sorry guys, I forgot I needed to clean off the uncured resin. This should hopefully be much better. The artifacts in question are these random waves and lines that appear along the corrugation area.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 01:03:59 PM by simsuper80 »

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 03:54:15 PM »
How thick is that wall?

You are probably trying to print a wall that's far too thin with insufficient supports. (I can almost see the blue of your gloves through the very bottom edge of the wall.) When the printer pulls each layer from the FEP (plastic film) the thin resin is distorting and sagging.

You might also play with exposure times a little, exposing layers a bit longer to harden the resin more.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 03:57:02 PM by cv_acr »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 04:41:16 PM »
I think more supports also needed .. try print at 45 deg orientation

1) what printer
2 what resin
3 settings used to slice ..
4 can you show us a pix of the model in the slicer?

AlwaysSolutions

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »
I've seen patterns like that on my prints, prevalent mostly with vertical surfaces.  I don't know if yours are the same as what I'll describe, but for mine I've concluded that it's a wavelength interference pattern caused by the super bright UV LEDs stacked side by side, each blasting a cone of light straight up.  The cross patterns of varying light intensity as the neighboring LEDs light cone collide will cause a microscopic subtleties in how the resin cures.  In my case it's only visible until painted..kind of like a holographic affect.  Does that sound like a possibility with what you're seeing?

-Mike

EDIT: Meh - now that I've thought about this for two minutes more that doesn't make sense since the curing spot is on the same layer each time why would the artifact creep diagonally.  Maybe it's a reflection off the model causing interference - that could change as the z position increases.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 06:33:19 PM by AlwaysSolutions »

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 09:39:49 PM »
Are the lines parallel to the build plate? this may be Z axis wobble caused by the arm running the build plate up and down having some play in it.

simsuper80

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 10:17:58 PM »
Are the lines parallel to the build plate? this may be Z axis wobble caused by the arm running the build plate up and down having some play in it.

Usually they are, but this is a brand new printer and it has happened on every printer I have owned

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 10:27:30 PM »
+1
Usually they are, but this is a brand new printer and it has happened on every printer I have owned

Z axis wobble can be caused by a whole bunch of stuff, if the travel vertical is not perfectly straight it can appear. Lead screw slightly bent, mast moves slightly as the suction on the fep is broke. could be alot of things.

Thickening walls may help make it less noticable, but double checking everything is tight is another place you may want to check, even on a new printer

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 02:44:13 PM »
The lines are generally caused by suction. If you notice, the lines are relative to where your supports are. When the printer pulls each layer off of the FEP, the film pulls up and stretches a little, pulling on the part also. For a car body such as yours, printing flat to the build plate will be the best way to eliminate the waves.
Tony Hines