Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/2/22  (Read 3985 times)

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1836
Re: Weekend Update 1/2/22
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 07:39:54 PM »
+29
Phase one of a long in the making project is finally complete.
One of each class of SP F unit.
DF1 (2),DF2 (2),DF3, DF4, DF5, DF6, DF7, DF8, DF9, DF11 and DF12
Next (Phase 2) - T&NO class DF14 - F9M (As delivered A-B-B)
Then (Phase 3)Cotton Belt FT's. I have done the as delivered Confederate gray and yellow as well as repaint into black widow. I will be doing the rebuilt version of the SSW FT's. As well as an example of an SSW F7 set as well as the lone FP7.
And finally (Phase 4) I will be doing an F7 set in bloody nose.

Thanks,
Wolf

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 07:55:48 PM »
+1
That railway line from Almaden to Forsayth is 'Railmotor' axle load, hence the flimsy appearance of the bridge.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8564
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 08:55:44 PM »
+17
Worked more on the 3-D printed Porter in HOn3. I'll be adding an ESU LokPilot 5 micro decoder. The shell still needs: whistle, bell, bell cord, couplers, cab glass, antlers, and weathering. The decals are Microscale stripes and alphabet sets. S.J.C. is--of course--the San Juan Central of Malcolm Furlow fame and the name is, well...IFKYK, and if not, yuse can Google it.

Also, for some eye candy...  I shared these shots from my N scale Colorado Midland in my layout engineering thread but here they are in the front lobby, so to speak.

Happy new year, you fellow a$$hats!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 08:59:38 PM by Dave V »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 12:56:51 AM »
+8
@SP-Wolf, that is awesome (if you like black widows :D)
I'm making an attempt to organize my workshop for the new year. Started with the "top shelf"😎
Happy and Healthy 2022 everyone!
Otto K.

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 09:02:04 AM »
Otto, let me know if you need help with that "top shelf". Happy New Year !
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4247
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 02:34:20 PM »
+5
Spent the latter part of the week playing with my new Photon Mono 3D printer.  Among the multiple projects are these Strick 35' drop-frame trailers, Stone's Express configuration.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 02:44:03 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +503
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 05:54:20 PM »
+7
Painted the foam and track so there’s not much left to do at the moment but JFRTM  8)

Didn’t take any at the Sonoco Film Packaging plant, but picked up the Greenville and Northern GMU job after spotting the loaded cars on the main to go pull the empty cars from the smaller industries first.

Picking up the empty boxcar at the paper recycling company after gathering the empty boxcar from the lumber yard (names TBD). The cars in the background are the loads from earlier; they will be hidden by the building and a wall of trees and brush. I’m not sure if I’ll be lowering the rear main a bit and having the trees somewhat see through to recreate a bit of the elevation difference from the area I’m protolancing from or if I’ll make it an impenetrable wall of foliage.

More in my layout thread!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:59:39 PM by packers#1 »
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 08:31:19 PM »
+1
SP-Wolf,

Gotta love those F Units, prefer Warbonnets, but Black Widows are awesome too! looking great. Gordon Bliss/ Santa Fe- All the Way

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 08:40:10 PM »
+13
I’ve had a productive week of decals. 22 cars came out of the paint shop recently so I have to prep decals for 44 sides. This week I’ve applied decals to 10 sides of TOFC cars:

2 sides of wood chip cars:

And 8 sides of bulkhead flats:

Thanks @philippe.whyte for the TOFC and wood chip decals. Outstanding!!!

Craig

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 09:44:13 PM »
+8
Since I’m presently running an early 1970s era on the layout, I removed the motive power and rolling stock that didn’t fit the era.  As a result, I was inspired to repair a dying Athearn GP9.

So, I sent Seaboard Air Line GP9 No. 1900 through the shop.  Out it came with a new Athearn Genesis motor, correcting the recent poor running characteristics, and relettered into the Seaboard Coast Line Split Image scheme.  The Split Image scheme is merely the former SAL paint scheme relettered for the SCL until the road could do a complete repaint into the black and yellow scheme (like No. 1025 below).  As on the prototype, SAL No. 1900 became SCL No. 1053, representing the renumbering of some of the former Atlantic Coast Line and SAL locomotives into the combined SCL fleet.

More on the Carolina Sandhills Lines thread in the Layout Engineering forum.

Happy New Year,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5420
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 11:03:46 PM »
+10
Speaking of the 70s...

I painted and lettered this old gal to add to the B&O retro fleet.
Happy New Year!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3545
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 11:45:40 PM »
+10
After ripping track the previous week, it felt good to be laying it back down this week.

New BC Hydro track, industrial lead and shop track at Chetwynd, all able to hold 4 x four-axle or 3 x six-axle locomotives:

New spur for Imperial Oil Ltd, now in its correct location:

New trackage into the Canfor mill:

With the planned extension, the mill tracks will be able to accommodate four boxcars, eight chip cars and eight bulkhead flatcars:

I was able to re-use some of the turnouts and all of the servos.  My next task is to get all of the track wiring and turnout controls connected underneath.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

TW877

• Crew
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 04:10:18 PM »
+6
After finally getting my order of ESU Kato decoders just before Christmas, I did my first install over the weekend. Apart from sound, my goal was to separate the ditchlights from the headlights without creating a wiring mess inside the model. After some experimenting I did succeed; no wires connecting shell and frame.
First "victim" was a C44-9W. The only shell modification required to fit the decoder was grinding down the exhaust mount from the inside as it interferes with some parts on the board. The two factory mounted SMD LEDs won't work in the C44-9 as they are too far from the light tubes, so only a very dim headlight was the result. As I wanted to have ditchlights that can be operated independent from the headlights, some more work was required. ESU supplied two 3mm LEDs with the decoder (apart from their standard 15x11 speaker, which won't fit the shell...) which can be soldered directy to the board. This now lights up the front headlight, a second SMD LED lights the ditchlights. The light tube leading to the ditchlights was shortened slightly and then reinstalled with black, non-translucent tape separating it from the other light tube to the headlights. Speaker is a 9x16mm size mounted to a 3D custom-printed baffle (my other weekend project) on the rear frame with a SMD LED glued to the end for the rear lights.
Quite happy the way it worked out, so another C44-9 and AC4400 waiting to be completed the same way.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Chris
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 04:17:26 PM by TW877 »

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 04:41:01 PM »
After ripping track the previous week, it felt good to be laying it back down this week.

Following this with great interest.  Great to see the old layout surviving and being expanded.   
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com