Author Topic: Kato F7 A&B both powered?  (Read 1135 times)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
Kato F7 A&B both powered?
« on: January 11, 2022, 07:54:39 PM »
The descriptions of the newest Kato F-7 A + B sets do not make it clear if both units have motors, or just the A unit.  The same not-so-specific prose is being copied by all of the sellers on eBay as well as the usual vendors.

So, I am asking if anybody here knows for sure whether the B units have motors.  And, if so, do the B units have sound if the A units have sound?  Yes, I know that there have been DCC w/sound, DCC and DCC-friendly versions, but not clear what is actually in each, even on Kato's website.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:33:01 PM by GaryHinshaw »

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Re: Kato F7 A&B both powered?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:59:49 PM »
+1
I don't think KATO's ever made a dummy unit of any American prototype loco. My A/B set is both units powered.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 08:19:36 PM »
They are all powered. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 08:23:57 PM »
+1
Yes, Kato does not sell dummy locos.  They will both be fully functional.

Looking at the Kato's web page for those, Kato charges extra $80 per loco for installing Digitrax decoders (which I believe are plug-n-play), and going by the price of the ESU sound decoder equipped locos, they will both have ESU sound decoders installed.  In those they charge $200 per each installed ESU sound decoder.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 09:12:38 PM »
Thanks, guys.  That was the answer I was hoping for and mostly expecting.  But, so many things have been changing in unexpected ways, I was wondering if that somewhat uninformative description was being slyly written for a purpose.  Good to know Kato has not "gone there".

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 09:30:46 PM »
Thanks, guys.  That was the answer I was hoping for and mostly expecting.  But, so many things have been changing in unexpected ways, I was wondering if that somewhat uninformative description was being slyly written for a purpose.  Good to know Kato has not "gone there".

I don't think that any current manufacturer of N scale locos makes "dummy" locos.  At least none that I recall.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 09:36:32 PM »
+1
Broadway Limited sells unpowered B  units (EMD E6, E7, E8, F3, F7, Alco PB) - but only together with a powered A unit.  If you want just a B unit then it comes powered.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 01:55:54 PM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 09:43:40 PM »
Broadway Limited sells unpowered B hood units (EMD E6, E7, E8, F3, F7, Alco PB) - but only together with a powered A unit.  If you want just a B unit then it comes powered.

BLI?  figures . . .  :)  Never  bought a multi-unit diesel from them.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 10:27:31 PM »
And, on the after market, I somehow got BLI shell swaps by somebody and then an unknowing seller to result in selling me a powered "dummy" B unit as part of an A-B set.  So, somewhere, there is probably an separate unpowered BLI B unit "out there".  Once items are on eBay, it seems that just about anything goes.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 02:56:54 PM »
I don't think KATO's ever made a dummy unit of any American prototype loco. My A/B set is both units powered.
I think you are correct as far as their own labeling is concerned (1980s and later).  They did make dummies for Con-cor that sold under Con-cor's brand - I have both PA and PB dummies made by Kato for Con-cor.  The B dummy has a plastic dummy frame with screw on dummy trucks.  The A dummy has frame and trucks for a powered unit, but with the motor and gearing removed, so the axles roll free (more or less).
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 08:14:55 PM »
I assumed that the discussion was about Kato USA, not older locos Kato Sekisui made for other companies. If you go back that far then yes, they made dummies.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 09:42:53 AM »
I assumed that the discussion was about Kato USA, not older locos Kato Sekisui made for other companies. If you go back that far then yes, they made dummies.

Correct assumption.  I was trying to be sure I understood the current ad text. 

No matter where I looked, it is all cut and pasted directly from Kato's web site, and reads "Locomotives have a powerful five pole motor with all wheel electrical pickup and blackened wheels."  Since it is a 2 unit set, I just wanted to be clear that it means "locomotives each have a 5 pole motor" not just one per 2 unit set.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between translation issues and sly marketing phrasing.  So, just being careful with my multi-hundred dollar "investments."  :D

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 10:19:29 AM »
Sorry, I was just making the point that Kato had made dummies at one time.  I did spec that it was early production for Con-cor.  So far as I am aware, Kato USA is just a subsidiary of Kato, responsible for the marketing and distribution (and maybe some design?) of their products in the USA, and all production is still done in Japan, in the same facilities that produce models for the Japanese and European customers.

At any rate, yes, indeed, every single Kato F unit I ever bought was a powered- whether A or B, new, used, in sets or singles.  I apologize if my earlier post was in any way confusing.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
Correct assumption.  I was trying to be sure I understood the current ad text. 

No matter where I looked, it is all cut and pasted directly from Kato's web site, and reads "Locomotives have a powerful five pole motor with all wheel electrical pickup and blackened wheels."  Since it is a 2 unit set, I just wanted to be clear that it means "locomotives each have a 5 pole motor" not just one per 2 unit set.

I think the use of "locomotives" (plural) having motor, implies "each", but if they phrased it with the addition of "each", it would make things perfectly clear.
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 07:46:09 PM »
I own a set of the Milwaukee Road that just came out, both are powered. Neither are dummies. They are individually powered and will run alone or together.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr