Author Topic: CB&Q generator car candidate  (Read 939 times)

motofavorite

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
CB&Q generator car candidate
« on: December 20, 2021, 01:08:59 PM »
+2
Unable to find an N scale model of a CB&Q generator car, I looked for a kitbash candidate. I found a Kato suhani 35-3. Below (I hope) is a photo I found at railfan44.blogspot.com of a generator car and a pair of photos of the Kato model from Hobby Search.

Has anyone performed this conversion? Alternatively, does anyone know of a better candidate?

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
Re: CB&Q generator car candidate
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 12:59:32 AM »
Not being a CB&Q modeler, I can't suggest anything better.  I can see a family resemblance, an about all it would need is to cut the section between the passenger windows and the front vestibule door out, turn it around, and glue the car back together, to get a fairly close stand-in. 

If the "baggage" door is just for the generator room, you wouldn't have to go that far.  Just add the generator details, and give it an unused number close to the prototype cars.
N Kalanaga
Be well

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +980
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »
I've been close to buying Japanese prototype cars for similar conversions (not CB&Q but something similar) on several occasions- and somewhere I still have a Kato (sold by Con-cor) shortie coach I always meant to do something with...  In the past, I have purchased sprues of baggage doors from Wheels of Time, that would allow for replacing the doors on the Kato car you are considering with something closer to the photo.

http://www.wheelsotime.com/details/  (scroll down to passenger car details)

The car looks like it started life as a single window coach, was modified into a baggage coach combine, modernized with a "streamstyle" roof over the clerestory and new ends, and air conditioned along with sealed windows.  Then at some later date, had the steam generator equipment installed.

The other option I would throw out there, because it was my first impulse when I looked at the photo in the top post, is that you "follow the prototype" and fabricate it from a MTL single window coach.  But that would certainly be more work.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 09:22:26 AM »
The Q generator cars were rebuilt heavyweights. The #7300 you pictured started life as a combine, and has the additional hinged door for access to the generator typical of the other cars. Others were rebuilt coaches. My gut feeling would be to start with a heavyweight car, but obviously you’ll need to do some roof and end mods. For 7300, maybe wait and see what the upcoming MTL combine looks like. Cool project from an interesting time of prototype transition. Hope it comes to fruition for you.

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 08:09:54 PM »
I would also like to have Q commuter equipment and even bought some Greenmax and MicroAce JNR cars that looked like they might be bashable.
The advent of 3D printing raised the bar so I’ll hold out for somebody to do decently rendered versions of the 7200s, 7300s, and gallery cars.   The Metra bilevels on Shapeways currently are post-CB&Q and a little crude but if cars at the level of the Surf Liners are drawn up that would be a game changer for me.
I can put together R&D packages and do decal art to contribute to anyone with 3D CAD skills that is interested!
Charlie Vlk

BTW, the Combine Power car was a coach like the rest, not a combine.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 08:56:56 PM »
I would also like to have Q commuter equipment and even bought some Greenmax and MicroAce JNR cars that looked like they might be bashable.
The advent of 3D printing raised the bar so I’ll hold out for somebody to do decently rendered versions of the 7200s, 7300s, and gallery cars.   The Metra bilevels on Shapeways currently are post-CB&Q and a little crude but if cars at the level of the Surf Liners are drawn up that would be a game changer for me.
I can put together R&D packages and do decal art to contribute to anyone with 3D CAD skills that is interested!
Charlie Vlk

BTW, the Combine Power car was a coach like the rest, not a combine.

If anyone made one on Shapeways etc. I would buy one or two.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

motofavorite

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 01:02:47 AM »
Thank you for the several replies. I'll let you know how the project stands or falls once I start.