Author Topic: New Athearn december  (Read 6021 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Re: New Athearn december
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2021, 06:22:40 PM »
So now we have to take screen shots before ordering!

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2021, 06:49:49 PM »
Well folks, it looks to me like Athearn has screwed up.  My ATH14331 arrived yesterday and it's a plain old TTX with only two hitches, like the previous (non-longrunner) releases of this car.  This despite being accompanied by 'XTTX' everywhere this item is listed online.

It's possible that ATH14340 (note the out of sequence part #) actually has different printing per the artwork.  All info about these cars has thoroughly disappeared from the Athearn website. 

If you want to complain, here's the page that says that part number is supposed to have XTTX reporting marks and 4 hitches.

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH14331

Jason

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2021, 01:18:31 AM »
AND, if you click on that link, you get a page with a picture of an ordinary 2-hitch flat, and the note:

N F89-F89'8" TOFC Flat, XTTX #153229
[ATH14331]
$39.98
Out of Stock
This product is discontinued.

Good thing I didn't reserve one, even if they were around in my era.
N Kalanaga
Be well

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2021, 11:55:09 AM »
Well folks, it looks to me like Athearn has screwed up.  My ATH14331 arrived yesterday and it's a plain old TTX with only two hitches, like the previous (non-longrunner) releases of this car.  This despite being accompanied by 'XTTX' everywhere this item is listed online.

It's possible that ATH14340 (note the out of sequence part #) actually has different printing per the artwork.  All info about these cars has thoroughly disappeared from the Athearn website. 

I was really just supporting the cause because I haven't been able to find any meaningful amount evidence of three trailers on a flat during the era these XTTX cars supposedly existed.  Guess I have fodder for a WTTX conversion now, but still...  Boo.

If you search retired models these come up. I have two sitting at the hobby shop as I type.  Wonder what they will wind up being? Either way I have a suppy of extra hitches I should be able to change the reporting marks and number to convert at least one to an actual XTTX flat. If I am lucky I am getting at least one actual xttx flat. I will know tomorrow.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2021, 04:11:49 PM »
If you search retired models these come up. I have two sitting at the hobby shop as I type.  Wonder what they will wind up being? Either way I have a suppy of extra hitches I should be able to change the reporting marks and number to convert at least one to an actual XTTX flat. If I am lucky I am getting at least one actual xttx flat. I will know tomorrow.

Yeah they need to fix the website because if you go to N Scale > 'Freight Cars' and click '89' F89F TOFC' nothing comes up, no matter what checkboxes you click.   But if you are lucky enough to know how they've tagged what you're looking for, you can find it with other search terms like 'TOFC' or 'XTTX'.

Note that none of the images are hi-res enough to be sure what the reporting marks are.  And the only one that MBK showed 'XTTX' artwork for, the image is missing on Athearn's site.

I don't care enough to complain.  Like I said, I was trying to support Athearn producing different Trailer Train reporting marks, but if they're not really going to ...  :facepalm:

They'd better not do the same thing with the RTTX cars.  Maybe it's worth contacting them just for that.

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2021, 04:15:09 PM »
By the way, even my box label for 14331 says TTX.  It's like the factory just didn't do what the announcement said, and reran the old releases with the same artwork and only new road numbers. 

If anyone bought item 14340 let us know if it's actually different.

bman

• Crew
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2021, 07:02:43 PM »
Yeah they need to fix the website because if you go to N Scale > 'Freight Cars' and click '89' F89F TOFC' nothing comes up, no matter what checkboxes you click.   

They definitely need to fix the website. I figured it out in error that you have to check one of the boxes then click search with the term you wish to search. Makes no sense at all.

bman

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2021, 05:32:37 PM »
If anyone bought item 14340 let us know if it's actually different.

I stopped by the LHS today and items #14330 and 14331 for waiting for me. We know it item 14331 is listed on the Athearn page as a XTTX flat. And just like iitem 14331 item 14330 it is in a box noted TTX and it is a TTX 2 hitch flat. So it is obvious someone messed up somewhere.  So now I have to wonder about this month's RTTX reservation.

Does anyone have info on where the hitches would be located on an XTTX flat? Would they be similar to an RTTX?

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2021, 07:24:37 PM »

Does anyone have info on where the hitches would be located on an XTTX flat? Would they be similar to an RTTX?

The only real evidence I know of is the photo James posted upthread.

That photo shows all three container chassis facing the same direction.  I'd assume that the forth trailer for a 40ft is in the middle so that two 40ft trailers face the same direction.  .  This is consistent with the circus-style loading ramps shown which was still a thing in that era.  Any car configured for circus loading would have all the trailers facing the same way.    By contrast, RTTX has two hitches at the ends so the trailers at each end face opposite directions.     I'm unclear if the XTTX cars could actually fit two 45' trailers like RTTX, or if the options were two 40s or one 45. 

So, similar, but different.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2021, 07:40:58 PM »

I have a TTX equipment guide that probably has dimensions - I'll have a look after work.

This is pretty disappointing if they've messed up this run of XTTX flats though.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's