Author Topic: I really don't know what I'm doing with designing a switching/siding layout  (Read 2083 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
Re: I really don't know what I'm doing with designing a switching/siding layout
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2021, 08:33:43 AM »
Ed and DFF:  I'm sure it's been done, and probably more often than I realize, but I don't think I've ever SEEN, in print, online, or in person, a layout consisting primarily of a classification yard.  Someone in the 70s built a working hump yard in HO, and it was mentioned several times in the magazines, but even then I don't remember seeing an article on it.

Layouts WITH such yards, yes, and many of them had assigned crews during operating sessions.  But they weren't the main focus of the layout, just an important part of it.

Looking at Voldemort's pictures, it looks like that may be the case here as well, as he seems to have a fairly well developed layout.

Oh, it definitely was the focus of my last one!

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2021, 11:52:47 AM »
In the beginning, store some ready to go trains.
Then I hope to learn how to basically do the classification yard thing (ie, make trains as they do 'real' trains.
Seems as though there's a need for some staging tracks, to hold the "ready to go" trains, in addition to the classification yard, where those trains will be made up.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »
Use the receiving/departure tracks.  That's what they're for!  Basically, they're the prototype equivalent of staging yards.  Instead of getting the cars from a storage cabinet, they get them from the classification tracks, but the idea is the same.
N Kalanaga
Be well

voldemort

• Crew
  • Respect: -46
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 03:38:19 PM »
A picture I found on my phone.  The siding at the front is where I will curve off onto the ladder

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2021, 07:45:21 PM »
Still not clear to me where that existing siding will connect to the diagram in the original post.  I am assuming for now that it comes into the diagram from the lower left potential connection point.

The siding on the original layout looks long enough to be a useful switching lead for the yard.  However, doesn't using it as the switching lead block entry into/exit from the yard while switching is in progress, and vice versa?  Might be OK if you are the only operator and you don't mind that.  Due to the single ended yard tracks in the diagram, I expect that you intend to switch from the left side at least some of the time.

Also, how do you intend for trains running on the existing layout to get to the siding and thus the yard?.  It looks like trains would have to either back in or back out, depending on which direction they would run on the existing layout.  Do you have a way to reverse the direction that trains run on the existing layout - e.g. diagonals across the circular paths, so that a train could come out of the yard running forward and get turned around on the existing layout so that it could re-enter the yard still going forward?

And I see that you are running steam and have a turntable in the center of the existing layout.  How do you intend to turn a steam engine that brings a train into the yard?  Would it need to exit the yard to go to the turntable? Or would it back out with a new train after you do your switching?

voldemort

• Crew
  • Respect: -46
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2021, 01:44:36 PM »
Yes, you're right about the lower left siding connecting

I find the layout impossible to draw out in a concise way due to the complicated way things go over and under.

I measured and I will have 5.5 feet of siding when I add the curve.  That should be long enough.  If I want more I could always run it onto the regular loops

With regards to the turntable and turning steam.  Its a Kato turntable which will only handle small to mid-size steam.  I don't see it as much of an issue though as there are currently at least two reversing loops on the door layout.  The future connection on the other line- it takes me a long time to design things, but I will add at least the same length siding on it right above the double crossover.

You guys have been awesome.  I have absolutely no doubt that no matter how I build it, I will later decide to change it.  At least its all going to be flat.  The elevation changes cause more problems with derailing etc for the first year or two of building this.  I like the hobby- you can always work on something.  Buildings, scenery, rolling stock, electrical, and eventually just running trains

Thanks again