Author Topic: Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 Prairie  (Read 9106 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1237
    • Modutrak
Re: Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 Prairie
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2021, 04:57:01 PM »
+1
The Bachmann post shows samples of the new vastly if not completely retooled HO USRA 0-6-0 with a new tender.  If we can get a comparable N Scale version I will be in for two.   
Of course it won’t be another Big Boy…just a locomotive that was used by a bunch of railroads all over the US and not just seen on one railroad by a few cows in the middle of Wyoming!
Charlie Vlk

This is my new favorite Big Boy saying.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2021, 05:04:35 PM »
Isn't a Prairie a 2-6-2?

I'm confused by this thread now.   :?
I'd love a good looking and running 0-6-0, but can't really use a 2-6-2.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4580
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2021, 06:03:19 PM »
Isn't a Prairie a 2-6-2?

Maybe because Bachmann was taking the 0-6-0 loco and by slapping on crappy looking leading and trailing trucks was making it into a 2-6-2?  At least that is the crappy train-set toy model I'm thinking of.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +985
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »
Isn't a Prairie a 2-6-2?

Maybe because Bachmann was taking the 0-6-0 loco and by slapping on crappy looking leading and trailing trucks was making it into a 2-6-2?  At least that is the crappy train-set toy model I'm thinking of.
See the original post of this thread, seven pages back....
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2021, 08:25:11 AM »
Would love to get a USRA 0-6-0 with modern tooling and good tender pickup.  They were on practically every road, and we really need some small steam engines.

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2021, 07:42:06 PM »
A real Prairie would be nice but like many steam locomotives they were mostly unique designs.   CB&Q R-4 was, however copied by the Wabash (with a different tender) and converted by them into 4-6-2 resembling the Burlington S-1 which was a factory built stretch using the same parts.   ATSF, MILW, LS&MS, CGW and others had them as well.   The Burlington R-1 was the first and would be a good model as their K and M Ten Wheeler and Mogul used the same basic boiler and cab/tender.
One can dream...small engines get no respect!
We’re still waiting for the Bachmann Russian Decapod!
Charlie Vlk

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2021, 12:09:35 AM »
Ignore the pilot wheel!  :facepalm:

It's really hard to.  Even before I read your comment to do so, I spent five minute saying "What the hell is going on with that pony truck?"
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2021, 11:51:28 AM »
The Bachmann post shows samples of the new vastly if not completely retooled HO USRA 0-6-0 with a new tender.  If we can get a comparable N Scale version I will be in for two.   
Of course it won’t be another Big Boy…just a locomotive that was used by a bunch of railroads all over the US and not just seen on one railroad by a few cows in the middle of Wyoming!
Charlie Vlk
That is funny but it makes me wonder how many people have seen a working Big Boy today vs. a working Prairie? I'm sure a lot of the older generation has seen an 0-6-0, maybe, but the younger generations haven't seen much smaller than a 2-8-0.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 04:59:59 PM by Jbub »
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7938
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »
That's a good point.

And is the reason why I think manufacturers are missing huge opportunities by not making models of steam engines and consists that are running today.

Strasburg. The C&TS, the D&S, The Grand Canyon. 765. 611. The Gramling switchers. Etc...

"See it run, bring it home"

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2021, 06:04:39 PM »
+1
It depends if you are running your railroad like NTRAK where you never know what is next on the track…Amtrak Siemens whatever followed by a GG1 with the 1949  Hiawatha….
..or trying to model a specific railroad and place at some point in time or a protolanced line.   
Just because you saw a locomotive doesn’t mean you should put it on your layout.  There are a lot of neato prototypes that have been made but don’t fit into any railroad I’d like to build.   There are still books that record history as it actually happened….
It all depends what floats your boat….
The Grand Canyon 4960  would be nice….without the “beauty treatment” and the horrible tender.   I would buy a fleet if the looked like a proper O1a!!!
Charlie Vlk

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7938
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2021, 10:10:45 PM »
+1
It depends if you are running your railroad like NTRAK where you never know what is next on the track…Amtrak Siemens whatever followed by a GG1 with the 1949  Hiawatha….
..or trying to model a specific railroad and place at some point in time or a protolanced line.   
Just because you saw a locomotive doesn’t mean you should put it on your layout.  There are a lot of neato prototypes that have been made but don’t fit into any railroad I’d like to build.   There are still books that record history as it actually happened….
It all depends what floats your boat….
The Grand Canyon 4960  would be nice….without the “beauty treatment” and the horrible tender.   I would buy a fleet if the looked like a proper O1a!!!
Charlie Vlk

True, but even my hardcore self (who checks built and service dates) is a sucker for the occasional sentimental purchase.

Plus, I bet Kato would sell so many "Strasburg Hourly Train" sets that it'd not only subsidize a few company bonuses but also doing an N&W era correct version of 475.