Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/5/21  (Read 5651 times)

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
Re: Weekend Update 12/5/21
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 12:36:36 PM »
+2
For those of you who have worked on these LL models before, what have you done for the Micro-Trains coupler conversion?

I used Unimates on the B end.  For the pilot, I used 2004s, but not with the best results.  Fortunately, I ran the LLs that I had A-B, so the front coupler was not that important.  I did manage to make the 2004s work, but it took some shimming and careful cutting.  In the end, though, I was somewhat less than delighted with the result.  They functioned, but that is the best that I can state for them.  MT recommends something else, but I forget what it is.  I could not find anyone who had the kits, at the time, so I tried what I had in my MT box.

I forget exactly what I did to make the 2004s work.  I have long since sold all of my LL and Kato PAs.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has problems with finicky BLI power, especially the diesels.  They reminded me of my Atlas-Kato no flywheel power.  When they ran, they ran well, but were far too prone to stalling.  The only way that I could address the A/K problem was hardwiring pairs together.  I guess that you could do that on BLI power, but it would be a task.  My solution was to sell my BLI diesels.  I still have the steam, though.

I was totally baffled by the frequent stalling of the Baldwin Centipedes.  You would think that with all of those "legs", at least two would always be in contact.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »
... I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has problems with finicky BLI power, especially the diesels. ...

It's their insistence on traction tires. Aside from insulating the tired wheels, they also lift the center wheel on 3-axle bogies, making contact there unreliable as well. I've started replacing BLI wheelsets with Kato, but that's been an on-again, off-again project and I haven't done enough to report whether the whole idea is successful and worth my time and expense.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2021, 04:14:21 PM »
OK, how did you do it?  The partially cleared window effect.

I noticed that and said wow, but then noticed the wipers were too short to have made those marks. We have a conundrum here… or my OCD is kicking in again.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2021, 05:22:18 PM »
+6
Weathering is mostly done on the FP10. I may have gone a little overboard with the grime. I wanted to show the engine during its last weeks of service. It still needs horns mirrors and MU details. The chassis is being modified to allow for the marker lights to be lit. The headlight hasn't fully dried yet.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2021, 07:08:08 PM »

Customarily this is done with pieces of masking tape cut into the shape of wiper's sweep area applied before weathering, and before wipers are installed. Then weather, peel off the mask, then install wipers.  In N scale, this requires some precise cutting.

I'm also curious how the masks were cut.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2021, 07:10:39 PM »
Weathering is mostly done on the FP10. I may have gone a little overboard with the grime. I wanted to show the engine during its last weeks of service. It still needs horns mirrors and MU details. The chassis is being modified to allow for the marker lights to be lit. The headlight hasn't fully dried yet.

Looks really good Daniel, and I agree that the weathering might be a touch too heavy. Or to be more specific, I can see the individual droplets of weathering (it seems to have a "dot" texture, especially on the roof).  In real life it would be a homogeneous layer of grime.
. . . 42 . . .

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3331
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2021, 07:33:12 PM »

I masked the windows with a small piece of masking tape before I weathered the units.  After weathering, I installed the windshield wipers.
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3331
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2021, 07:34:46 PM »
Customarily this is done with pieces of masking tape cut into the shape of wiper's sweep area applied before weathering, and before wipers are installed. Then weather, peel off the mask, then install wipers.  In N scale, this requires some precise cutting.

I'm also curious how the masks were cut.

A very sharp pair of scissors and a lot of bad words......  :)
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2021, 08:08:51 PM »
Looks really good Daniel, and I agree that the weathering might be a touch too heavy. Or to be more specific, I can see the individual droplets of weathering (it seems to have a "dot" texture, especially on the roof).  In real life it would be a homogeneous layer of grime.

It does look mottled in the pictures. It isn't as bad in person, but not ideal. I'm not sure why either. I used the same grime mix a few weeks ago for a tank car and it came out fine. I may try and mute it with gray or black chalk powders.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2021, 08:28:45 PM »
It's their insistence on traction tires. Aside from insulating the tired wheels, they also lift the center wheel on 3-axle bogies, making contact there unreliable as well. I've started replacing BLI wheelsets with Kato, but that's been an on-again, off-again project and I haven't done enough to report whether the whole idea is successful and worth my time and expense.

If you ask BLI nicely they will send you replacement regular axles for the traction-tired ones at no charge.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2021, 09:22:42 PM »
A very sharp pair of scissors and a lot of bad words......  :)

That's what I suspected. Thanks!   :)
On a serious note, I wonder if one of the computer-controller cutters (like Silhouette) could be used to make cutting multiple masks without much cussing? 
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2021, 09:25:21 PM »
It does look mottled in the pictures. It isn't as bad in person, but not ideal. I'm not sure why either. I used the same grime mix a few weeks ago for a tank car and it came out fine. I may try and mute it with gray or black chalk powders.

Interesting.  I'm glad it looks good viewed in-person.  Grime mix looked good on the tank car? Maybe you used different air pressure, or different size nozzle opening?  Or maybe different brand paint on the model's surface caused the wet grime mix not to spread out as well as on the tank car?
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2021, 09:36:57 PM »
If you ask BLI nicely they will send you replacement regular axles for the traction-tired ones at no charge.

I did that on a number of my six axle units. Big improvement.
Otto

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2021, 12:51:36 AM »

I  rode behind (or in front of, in push mode) those things.  The real thing looked mottled and dirty, anyhow, so I would not sweat it, especially considering that you weathered it.   Nice job on it.

Thank you for the update.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 12:53:39 AM by brokemoto »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2021, 02:55:57 PM »
That's what I suspected. Thanks!   :)
On a serious note, I wonder if one of the computer-controller cutters (like Silhouette) could be used to make cutting multiple masks without much cussing?

Or maybe those Cherieos shaped loose lief hole reinforcements as a shape to put over masking tape , at least as a arc starting guide ?

Richie Dost