Author Topic: HOn3 couplers  (Read 979 times)

dcarrell8

• Crew
  • Respect: +207
    • Otter Creek & Rio Grande
HOn3 couplers
« on: December 02, 2021, 09:18:30 PM »
I've recently purchased some brass passenger equipment that will need couplers.  Messing with couplers is one part of the hobby that I do not enjoy, so I'm hoping someone can get me pointed in the right direction. 

What type of couplers do you use and do you have a tried and true method of getting all your rolling stock working well with each other.  Most of the equipment I have (less than 20 cars) are Blackstone but I will eventually build some Rail Line and other kits. 

Thanks for any and all input

~ Dennis

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
Re: HOn3 couplers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 09:24:23 PM »
I still use mostly the Kadee 713s and 714s. I tried the 705s but they have a self-destruct mechanism that activates when you look directly at them.

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 10:07:48 PM »
I still use mostly the Kadee 713s and 714s. I tried the 705s but they have a self-destruct mechanism that activates when you look directly at them.

Interesting that you mention that.  So far it seems that all the remnants of broken couplers on my ebay purchases appear to be the 714's.  Can you get them per-assembled? aren't they ones that require the jig?  I have a few 705's but they won't fit in the brass coupler box.  Then there is the whole issue with the screw size and length. I was wondering if there was an alternative to the kadees or that is about the only choice.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:15:44 PM »
Interesting that you mention that.  So far it seems that all the remnants of broken couplers on my ebay purchases appear to be the 714's.  Can you get them per-assembled? aren't they ones that require the jig?  I have a few 705's but they won't fit in the brass coupler box.  Then there is the whole issue with the screw size and length. I was wondering if there was an alternative to the kadees or that is about the only choice.

I don't know about any jig... I don't use any pre-assembled couplers (since the assembled 705s I've tried have invariably exploded). I just assemble them myself. Pro tip...you can seal the journal box by melting the Delrin with a hot pin where the top and bottom meet.

Some people swear by Sergent couplers but I hate them...I'd sooner use X2F horn-hooks.

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »
I don't know about any jig... I don't use any pre-assembled couplers (since the assembled 705s I've tried have invariably exploded). I just assemble them myself. Pro tip...you can seal the journal box by melting the Delrin with a hot pin where the top and bottom meet.

Some people swear by Sergent couplers but I hate them...I'd sooner use X2F horn-hooks.

I like pro tips!  8)

The jig is called the Kadee 702.  Holds the draft gear box while you insert the spring and the lid.  Works for the 711,712,713 & 714.  about $8.00.
I guess I'll give it a try. 

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 01:59:48 AM »
The jig might be handy, but I've been assembling the N scale 1025s for 50 years without one, and the 714 is the same design.  The secret, gleaned from a magazine article long ago, is to pick the spring up with a knife blade, rather than trying to put it in with tweezers or fingers.

For what it's worth, the 1025s and 714s couple very nicely, so if you want a slightly smaller coupler, you can use the N scale ones.  They are available assembled, as #1023.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Jwalden01

• Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 06:44:01 PM »
The 714s are definitely the old faithful of HOn3. Seems like all RTRs come with them (or equivalent), and most kits are tooled to accept them. Plus they're not expensive to buy.

I personally have had good luck with the 705s and would highly recommend them. I do however wish they had been designed to use or at least be compatible with the 714 style box. Seems like I often have to modify the 705 box to get them to work. The results are totally worth the effort! I haven’t had any self destruct on me, but agree that if you can avoid taking them out of the box, you’ll be much better off.

I only recently dabbled with Sergent couplers, mostly as an experiment. They drop right into my Blackstone engines and work well with the 705 couplers. They do need to be open though to couple with a kadee. As Dave said, they don’t play nearly as well with the 714s.

The options are endless, I hope this helps even though I chimed in pretty late.

-Jon

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 12:32:47 AM »
The 714s are definitely the old faithful of HOn3. Seems like all RTRs come with them (or equivalent), and most kits are tooled to accept them. Plus they're not expensive to buy.

I personally have had good luck with the 705s and would highly recommend them. I do however wish they had been designed to use or at least be compatible with the 714 style box. Seems like I often have to modify the 705 box to get them to work. The results are totally worth the effort! I haven’t had any self destruct on me, but agree that if you can avoid taking them out of the box, you’ll be much better off.

I only recently dabbled with Sergent couplers, mostly as an experiment. They drop right into my Blackstone engines and work well with the 705 couplers. They do need to be open though to couple with a kadee. As Dave said, they don’t play nearly as well with the 714s.

The options are endless, I hope this helps even though I chimed in pretty late.

-Jon

Thanks for the input.
I ended up going with the 714's.  What I found was, that if I built the couplers upside down they would fit in the brass coupler housing nicely and were well within the coupler height specs. 

Next trick is to figure out what to put on the front of a Fujiyama K-36 that won't interfere with the pilot truck.  The 714 is too long, and the 705 is too wide for the opening.