Author Topic: Powered Stewart Models 25 ton rail crane  (Read 11468 times)

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2093
Re: Powered Stewart Models 25 ton rail crane
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2022, 09:28:08 AM »
Thank you guys!
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2022, 09:35:16 AM »
+1
You need to write this up and send it to RMC
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2022, 10:31:14 AM »
You need to write this up and send it to RMC

Would they want it even after I’ve had a thread going here and posted finished photos in a couple of Facebook groups?
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2022, 12:09:28 PM »
Would they want it even after I’ve had a thread going here and posted finished photos in a couple of Facebook groups?

Most of the articles in RMC are usually on layouts and projects that had a high profile presence on the web beforehand. First thing that pops into my head in the Oregon Joint Line. The value from the article is derived from the writeup that accompanies the media.
-Al

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2022, 12:13:57 PM »
I would think they'd be happy to have an article on this level of modeling, this thread and the Facebook postings would just whet the appetites of many readers for an in depth article.  Lots of technique that is applicable to any scale.  Frankly, looking at the photos, I can't find anything that says "N scale"- it is just outstanding modeling.  And if not RMC, then any of the N scale or online magazines, or the Milwaukee Road historical society for their publication.

@milw12 , et al,  you can add my vote to your "best of" nomination.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2022, 12:38:42 PM »
My experience writing for RMC, and from talking to them directly, is that they do not mind at all if the work has already been shown on the internet.  They realize that the reality of the modern world is that it would be very unusual these days if it WASN'T already on the web.
And remember, on the forums and Facebook, you show a bunch of photos and answer questions.  But for an article, you are going to provide more explanation of how you completed each step, along with any special tools and sources for parts you used.  All of that makes the in-print version have some "value added" over what was shown on the internet... 

Having said all that, I always try to add more details of construction, a few new photos, and more "how-to" in the stuff I submit to the magazines, vs what I showed in a forum.  I think it's only fair to give the magazine something of value for their version that you haven't shown elsewhere.

Oh, and HECK YEAH, your crane project is definitely worthy of publication in a major model railroad magazine!

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2022, 01:11:11 PM »
I finished up the tender with a few details.

Jim, is that Langley's small or large bucket, and does it come with the hanging sheave etching, or did you make that yourself?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2022, 07:08:00 PM »

Jim, is that Langley's small or large bucket, and does it come with the hanging sheave etching, or did you make that yourself?

The Langley kit the bucket came from is this one.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The crane can be configured with a clam bucket, dragline bucket, wrecking ball or a two part block with hook.
I wasn’t aware there were two sizes of clam buckets.
All the parts come with the crane kit and I think it’s pretty accurate.

Here’s a diagram of the parts:

The two halves are held together with an axle wire and there is a cast metal sheave (31A in the diagram) that glues onto the axle wire. Part 29 has the top side of a sheave cast into it with a hole on each side. The closing line ties to the axle wire then routes up over the cast sheave, down around the axle sheave then up through the casting. Part 30 is the lifting lug and glues to the top of the sheave casting.
The main hoist line would connect to the lifting lug and the secondary hoist line would connect to the closing line.
It’s hard to see in my photos but the line hanging out of the top is the closing line and isn’t connected to the lifting lug.

The bucket halves are nicely cast and have digging teeth that interlock but I filed them off to make a smooth edge transfer bucket.
I did add an anti swing sheave to the side of the boom which is what the chain on the bucket would connect to.

Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2022, 08:58:14 PM »
My experience writing for RMC, and from talking to them directly, is that they do not mind at all if the work has already been shown on the internet.  They realize that the reality of the modern world is that it would be very unusual these days if it WASN'T already on the web.
And remember, on the forums and Facebook, you show a bunch of photos and answer questions.  But for an article, you are going to provide more explanation of how you completed each step, along with any special tools and sources for parts you used.  All of that makes the in-print version have some "value added" over what was shown on the internet... 

Having said all that, I always try to add more details of construction, a few new photos, and more "how-to" in the stuff I submit to the magazines, vs what I showed in a forum.  I think it's only fair to give the magazine something of value for their version that you haven't shown elsewhere.

Oh, and HECK YEAH, your crane project is definitely worthy of publication in a major model railroad magazine!

Max,
Thank you, Phillip and Tom D. for your encouragement for developing an article around this build. I will definitely consider it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 04:56:41 AM by Jim Starbuck »
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com

Tad_T

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2022, 12:02:10 AM »
You do good work, sir.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2022, 09:47:10 AM »
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2022, 03:14:31 PM »
+8
ESU recently added a sound project recorded from a 20 ton crane and I was joking about it to friend Tom Breed that there’s no way then he suggested adding sound to the crew car. Hmmm, good idea.
I had a pair of Bachmann tender trucks on hand so I sanded the sideframes flat then overlaid them with thinned down Fox Valley caboose sideframes. The Bachmann trucks required making a brass bushing for the bolster pin which was turned down out of brass.

The trucks are hardwired to an ESU Nano decoder. There’s a 9x16 speaker with enclosure and also an Iowa Scaled Engineering power keeper in the caboose body.

Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »
+1
Jim as always, great modeling

milw156

• Crew