Author Topic: Utah Railway Gray(s) paint? or white?  (Read 915 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +262
Utah Railway Gray(s) paint? or white?
« on: November 18, 2021, 03:15:32 PM »
I want to do a couple RDS4/5s. Does anyone make Utah Railway gray(s) paint and which would be appropriate for the RSD unit below? It appears some may start as white? I know nothing about the road, but have a couple of undec. RSD units
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

An [ Guests cannot view attachments ] d a white one:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 03:19:02 PM by mecgp7 »

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
Re: Utah Railway Gray(s) paint? or white?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 03:28:55 PM »
I remember reading they (RSDs) started white.

Could quickly find the book that stated the above.

From UtahRails.net
they state they started with a light gray

So found where I read they started White, it was from a Model Railroader Mid-Size Track Plans for Realistic Layouts. Pg. 77. Photo/Caption by Bob Gottier.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 03:51:51 PM by Wolf N Works »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 03:35:53 PM »
I think the normal color is light gray. #304 however, is white - explained here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151089709@N08/39701646834

Some suggestions for the gray here:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2331582

Drgwspup

• Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 04:02:08 PM »
Hi!

I have some on my painting "to do" list as well!  The original Atlas release from years ago is very hard to find, and when one time it popped up on that auction site, the asking price was ridiculous.  I wrote to Atlas and asked them to re-release them but never got a response.  They did release the Utah Railway coal hopper which is well done.

Based on my research the white locomotive was for the bicentennial and they used red, white and blue just for that one locomotive.

As far as the regular colors, I understand that the red is SP Scarlet Red. Vallejo makes Fantasy Scarlet Red in a rattle can that look right to me.  I've checked out a number of gray paints.  SP Lettering gray is way too dark.  I have settled on Model Master Light Gray (FS36495-F) to closely match the Atlas units.

The yellow separation stripe switched to black/very dark blue in the late 60's I believe.

The ALCO RSD 4/5 that they used was a phase 3 engine body that had air filter intakes instead of louvered doors on the long hood.  Still deciding how to model them: Cut holes in the shell or use black decal pieces.

I have a couple magazine articles from a few years ago regarding the Utah's motive power, with a little description of how they operated.  Let me know if you need that.  I'll try to track it down.  Diesel Age I believe.

Hope that helps! Post pixs of your progress!!!

Mark

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +262
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 04:18:59 PM »
Thanks all! I will stay away from white. I guess it doesn't really matter too much on the gray as long as it is lighter. With age, weathering and dirt one could justify a number of "grays" . I won't need the red as Microscale makes the stripes for us. I had these old, Kato made units and wanted a single color paint scheme (before decals). This is when I stumbled on the Utah Railway.
Incidentally, even though these units can be made to run really well, I mu'ed them with tiny wire and together they operate amazingly albeit not DCC friendly which is OK as I am not either!  :D

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 11:37:24 AM »
I happened to be just reading an article in Railfan from January 1993 which stated "One can only wonder why ALCO convinced the UCR that white paint would suit a coal-hauling railroad.  As the years went by these white locomotives weathered to a light gray from coal dust and the belching exhaust as they battled the 2 1/2% grades.  In years to come, these locomotives would be known as "the Grays".

Bill Kepner

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 01:53:33 PM »
I wonder if Scalecoat's "UP Hopper Gray", #84, would work?  It's an "almost white" gray, and, with many model paints disappearing, might be easier to find in the future.
N Kalanaga
Be well

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 08:47:50 AM »
Paint it white, weather it with real coal dust.  What could be more accurate?