Author Topic: Precision Masters / Red Caboose 40' plug-door reefer prototype?  (Read 830 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +433
Precision Masters / Red Caboose 40' plug-door reefer prototype?
« on: November 19, 2021, 03:50:00 PM »
Does anyone know what the prototype was of the Precision Masters / Red Caboose 40' plug-door steel reefer?
I can't seem to find a photo of a matching prototype car, but I don't imagine they made it up.   
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +757
Re: Precision Masters / Red Caboose 40' plug-door reefer prototype?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 04:15:49 PM »
Its based on a Pacific Car and Foundry FGE/WFEX/BREX car, but the model lacks alot of detail (door tracks etc.) And reuses components from their PFE R40 car.
The car should have a diagonal panel roof rather then the raised panel roof used on the model.
(edit: See below)

@bbussey made a pretty close model, much better then the Precision Masters tooling based on Micro-Trains and Intermountain parts...

Wfex 68650-69099
Brex 76000-76249
Fhix 40001-40960
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:51:14 PM by Missaberoad »
Ryan in Alberta

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1828
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 05:06:55 PM »
+1
I did, but I really need to change the roof to a Stanray diagonal.  I used the standard InterMountain roof at the time because there weren't any good 40' Stanray roofs.

I have two of the Red Caboose/ex-Precision Master cars also, specifically because they are based on a FGE prototype.  But they do need a lot of work.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 06:44:51 PM »
I did, but I really need to change the roof to a Stanray diagonal.  I used the standard InterMountain roof at the time because there weren't any good 40' Stanray roofs.

I have two of the Red Caboose/ex-Precision Master cars also, specifically because they are based on a FGE prototype.  But they do need a lot of work.

I have some aswell that I occasionally take a look at and ponder what to do with them. .. I may wind up following your lead since your results were excellent.
Ryan in Alberta

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1180
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 10:02:35 PM »
+2
Hmm, and I always thought these were less than perfect renditions of SFRD ARA rebuilds od 1950-53, with bad factory paint jobs, Classes Rr-49-53 (53 should have diagonal panel roof). Note horizontal rivets on both sides of door. Are we talking about the same model here?
Otto

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +575
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 10:10:31 PM »
Hmm, and I always thought these were less than perfect renditions of SFRD ARA rebuilds od 1950-53, with bad factory paint jobs, Classes Rr-49-53 (53 should have diagonal panel roof). Note horizontal rivets on both sides of door. Are we talking about the same model here?
Otto

I bought 3 of these about 30 years ago, on the basis of their being ATSF prototype (or at least very close).  Then I read, somewhere, that they were PFE of some description, then read they were FGE,,,,,but looking at those photos... Maybe wherever I read they were ATSF was right in the first place.  They certainly are pretty close.
Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.

Missaberoad

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 10:37:26 PM »
+1
It actually looks really close to that ATSF car. Might be onto something there...

Here's a FGE car for comparison.
http://rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/fhix40331o26.jpg
Ryan in Alberta

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1140
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 10:43:16 PM »
I think it’s nearly spot on for that ATSF car.  Much closer than the FGE car.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 11:00:03 PM »
I think it’s nearly spot on for that ATSF car.  Much closer than the FGE car.
I'm convinced.  Thanks!
George
NKPH&TS #3628

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 11:52:06 PM »
Now, I need to decide whether to leave my ATSF cars as is, or repaint and re-decal them. 

Thanks for the positive ID, Otto.  If I put a magnifier on them, they even read "RR-52".  And lettering size notwithstanding, they offer  some variety to the Intermountain reefer blocks.
Tom D.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +223
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 12:35:27 AM »
What about the PM wood reefers?  I have a three set that I don't know what to do with.
Emergency Manager (Noun)

1. A person who solves problems you can't.

2. One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

See also: wizard, magician, miracle worker

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 08:01:01 AM »
Pretty sure those have actual FGE prototypes.   Still available from Intermountain as their "wood reefer" (67xxx series).
https://www.intermountain-railway.com/n/nreefers.htm
George
NKPH&TS #3628

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1180
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
Now, I need to decide whether to leave my ATSF cars as is, or repaint and re-decal them. 

Thanks for the positive ID, Otto.  If I put a magnifier on them, they even read "RR-52".  And lettering size notwithstanding, they offer  some variety to the Intermountain reefer blocks.

Same dilemma here Tom. Years ago I tried to remove  the lettering, with disastrous results, see below. And mixing them with IM SFRD cars makes the undersized lettering really jump out at you. Somebody obviously did the research, but then printed the lettering at a smaller scale. Boggles my mind. I think the only way to do them right would be to repaint and decal. But I don't know what to strip the paint with, it appears integral to the colored plastic...

As to the wood car, it is definitely an FGEX prototype. I'd highly recommend Bill Welch's booklet on the subject published by Keystone Modeler some years ago, if it can be found.
Otto

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 01:48:02 PM by Cajonpassfan »

AlbertSpor

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 01:48:43 PM »
+1
The wood reefer is very close to the Mather meat reefers as leased by Armour, Morrell and Rath, A lot of these models were painted in these schemes. They should be a flat panel roof, not Murphy. The wood model is also darn close to PFE class R-30/40-24, a wood rebuild which had the tall doors, Murphy roof and 3/3 ends. The 30/40 is the 30 or 40 ton underframe, of the original car. The plug door is closest to the Santa Fe reefers, but also close for some Rath-NADX leased reefers as well.

Albert Spor
Albert Spor

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 02:13:53 PM »
Same dilemma here Tom. Years ago I tried to remove  the lettering, with disastrous results, see below. And mixing them with IM SFRD cars makes the undersized lettering really jump out at you. Somebody obviously did the research, but then printed the lettering at a smaller scale. Boggles my mind. I think the only way to do them right would be to repaint and decal. But I don't know what to strip the paint with, it appears integral to the colored plastic...

As to the wood car, it is definitely an FGEX prototype. I'd highly recommend Bill Welch's booklet on the subject published by Keystone Modeler some years ago, if it can be found.
Otto

Turns out I have 6 of them, not 3.  Forgot all about the three that I picked up a few years ago in a box of stuff on eBay.  I will give it a try in Simple Green, which seems to work for a lot of stuff.  Worst case scenario is that I will have 5 instead of 6 when I'm done.  Now in the freezer in hopes of getting the roof off....
Tom D.