Author Topic: looking for some inputs on consisting.  (Read 201 times)

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
looking for some inputs on consisting.
« on: November 14, 2021, 08:25:42 PM »
I have always programed my locos to the road number on the unit and have never has any problems until now.     I have a lash up of  a fp7-f7b-fp7  The road numbers are 95a,95b and 95c.  I have installed loksound v5 decoders in all three of the units.  They work flawlessly.   Two of the units can be programmed to the road number of 95 and sync very nicely (fp7/f7b)   its the third unit I cannot get it to run in reverse in the consist.  what am I missing in programming the decoder to get the last fp7 to run in this consist.    (hopefully I am making sense of my request).   is there a CV value I need to change to make the engine always in reverse from the other. two engine?     

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: looking for some inputs on consisting.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 08:31:36 PM »
Add 1 to CV29.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2880
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 08:46:52 PM »
Add 1 to CV29.

Jason

Yup, set the "direction" bit in CV29.
Here is one of many handy CV29 calculators: https://tcsdcc.com/CV29Calc

And before someone mentions the very common misconception that "it only changes the motor direction" -- nope!  It reverses the entire loco's direction (motor *AND* headlights).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 08:49:06 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +978
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 10:11:54 PM »
And before someone mentions the very common misconception that "it only changes the motor direction" -- nope!  It reverses the entire loco's direction (motor *AND* headlights).

https://dccwiki.com/Normal_Direction_of_Travel

"Normal Direction of Travel -- Summary: The Normal Direction of Travel or NDOT determines the direction and operation of lighting. It is Bit 0 of CV29 and is usually set to 0 (Off).
The NDOT bit of CV29 is often used when consisting locomotives for multiple unit operations. The command station usually makes these changes as needed during the consisting process. This allows proper operation of the forward lighting.

If the motor was mis-wired resulting in the wrong direction of travel, the proper solution is to reverse the wires. The NDOT bit may be used for something else, and altering it unnecessarily could create problems later. "
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 10:14:07 PM by ednadolski »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2880
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 10:29:06 PM »
Exactly Ed.  That is why I mentioned that in my post.

But for some reason there is popular belief out there that the direction but only applies to the motor. Not sure how that started, but it persists.  This has been discussed in one of the DCC groups in Groups.io and some people swore that at some point in time the direction bit only applied to the motor. Of course, this was some time ago and they could not provide any details (like which type or brand of decoder).
. . . 42 . . .