Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/7/21  (Read 5085 times)

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2012
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Weekend Update 11/7/21
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2021, 08:32:24 AM »
You might want to just try Neolube.   I've been doing my wheels and rods for steam now with that for years.   First did it on my Kato/GHQ L1.

That's what's on the D16 4-4-0 on anything that actually moves, the bitty geared steam, and my Lima 2-6-0.   Yeah, it will wear off if you grab a spot with your fingers, but I've found that it's easy to re-apply if you're doing close-up photos for this group.

I used to paint with grimy black Floquil, but found out that that wore off just about as bad as Neolube would, and it built up, and if it got on the wheel treads, you'd have to get it off, and if it got in the wheel contact area, even worse.

I can appreciate the trepidation on that particular mech on turning the flanges, while it's not an invitation to disaster, it's at least a wink and a smile.  I don't know of any other one that has a fully-geared 5 axle drive along with connected siderods, yet still works smoothly.   I chickened out on my Rivarossi 4-6-2 flanges and had Mark G. turn them for me.   I've successfully turned anything that's a split axle myself, but it the wheels have to be pulled or mangled on a solid axle, well...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 09:15:53 AM by randgust »

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »
Yep.  Like the Alco RSD1

I always wondered why the funny looking cab on those things.  It looked like someone had tried to make a North American prototype look alien.  This was a protobash that is the reverse of what some of us had to do in the Bad Old Days when there was not much good North American Steam in N scale;  we had to take alien prototypes and try to make them look North American.

Despite all that, I never recall reading why those things had the funny looking cab.

In 1942, there were several RS-1s on U.S. roads as well as many under construction at Schenectady.  The War Production Board grabbed all of them, including those already in service on the U.S. roads, had that funny cab and those C-C trucks swapped in and shipped them off to Persia and Russia.  Those C-C trucks were specifically designed to operate on the crummy Russian track and the crummy track in the north of Persia, as most of the railroads then in place in the north were built by the Russians (from the mid to late nineteenth century to the early 1920s, Persia was divided into three zones:  the north was Russian influence, the middle was a neutral zone and the south was British influence).  I did read in one place that the trucks and wheelsets could expand or contract to change gauge, but as I read that only in one place, I never could verify it.

The RS-1 had the longest production run of any North American locomotive.  If you count the Soviet copies, it was forty years.  If you count only the U.S. and Canada built, it was something close to twenty.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2021, 08:11:49 PM »
I always wondered why the funny looking cab on those things.  It looked like someone had tried to make a North American prototype look alien.  This was a protobash that is the reverse of what some of us had to do in the Bad Old Days when there was not much good North American Steam in N scale;  we had to take alien prototypes and try to make them look North American.

Despite all that, I never recall reading why those things had the funny looking cab.

European "loading gauges", especially WW II era, are/were much tighter that what we are used to in the US, and the cross sections start tapering in the upper third of the car body. Even steam locos had the cabs tapering in to fit, see the Škoda 4-8-2 below as a good examplě.
Otto

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:19:01 PM by Cajonpassfan »

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2021, 09:50:12 PM »
The War Production Board grabbed all of them, including those already in service on the U.S. roads, had that funny cab and those C-C trucks swapped in and shipped them off to Persia and Russia.  Those C-C trucks were specifically designed to operate on the crummy Russian track and the crummy track in the north of Persia, as most of the railroads then in place in the north were built by the Russians (from the mid to late nineteenth century to the early 1920s, Persia was divided into three ...

Now perhaps I'm curious enough to dig through about 10k slides from when I was in the Navy in the early 1980's.  The article seems to suggest most went over seas or were US Army.  I swear one of these beasts sat for years on a rarely used piece of track at the end of Pier 12 and Pier 11 at Naval Operating Base, Norfork, VA.  It was an RS unit, and it had the Euro cab.  I know once or twice I grabbed a shot of it.  I don't think it moved, but we were out to sea more than in-port, so my time there over the course of four years was actually quite limited.

Bob

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2875
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2021, 05:35:50 AM »
Now perhaps I'm curious enough to dig through about 10k slides from when I was in the Navy in the early 1980's.  The article seems to suggest most went over seas or were US Army.  I swear one of these beasts sat for years on a rarely used piece of track at the end of Pier 12 and Pier 11 at Naval Operating Base, Norfork, VA.  It was an RS unit, and it had the Euro cab.  I know once or twice I grabbed a shot of it.  I don't think it moved, but we were out to sea more than in-port, so my time there over the course of four years was actually quite limited.

Bob

I remember seeing them down by the lower numbered piers -- the ones with the warehouses as late as 76..  just checking google the tracks all seem to be gone .. there was one over at NNSY in the 80s when Nimitz was in the yards ..

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1067
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2021, 11:14:45 AM »
Couple of WWII era Baldwins still get used semi regularly at Nav Wep station Earle in NJ.  No Euro cabs to be seen but if you still want to see S12s, 40 footers still with Roofwalks and Friction bearings in use in 2021, that's were you dodge MPs to go.
-Al