Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/7/21  (Read 4497 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +7684
Re: Weekend Update 11/5/21
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 07:42:11 PM »
+20
4 Type III and 1 kitbashed Type II RGS Miller boxcars in HOn3 (I just finished 8718 and 8729 this week).  The Type IIIs are the Grandt Line/San Juan kits and the Type II is a Rail Line D&RGW 3000-series reworked with C&S doors and hardware.  Decals are mostly San Juan with some Microscale and Thinfilm.  Light weathering done with airbrush, powders, and washes.  People tend to love to over-weather these cars but the car numbers here (only 3 of which I actually have photographic documentation for) only stayed on the RGS property from late 1938 until late 1942 when they were sent to Alaska for war service on the WP&YR.  Consequently they didn't have time for their fresh RGS paint to weather to that familiar narrow gauge funk.

A rusty Model A pickup in a back alley at Rico.  The truck is Athearn, weathered with an alcohol/Dullcote haze and rust wash.

HO resin vehicles from Stoney Mountain Classics. They’re actually made of clear resin…you just paint the body around the windows! A 1941 Chevy and a 1941 Oldsmobile, painted to (pretty closely) match colors that were available for these vehicles for the 1941 model year.

Also, I’m replacing my less than stellar build of the Narrow Gauge Colorado Placerville kit with the Ragg’s [sic] to Riches kit built much more carefully.  I’ve built several dozen craftsman kits and scratchbuilt many more structures since I built the NGC kit and have honed my skills a bit more.  Besides, there were some design aspects of the NGC kit such as the odd laser-etched 2-dimensional board and batten walls that I didn't care for.

Lastly...something TINY!  From Toma Model Works in Japan…an HOn3 Porter 0-4-0!  I plan to eventually paint this one up for San Juan Central (of course!).

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 02:29:12 PM by Dave V »

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Something new is coming...
  • Respect: +1334
Re: Weekend Update 11/5/21
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 08:19:52 PM »
+4
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6100
Re: Weekend Update 11/7/21
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 09:37:13 PM »
+11
“A wall every night.”  (Which may become, “A window every night.”)  I started scratchbuilding the former Seaboard Air Line station in Aberdeen, North Carolina.  Here is its humble beginnings next to the N scale model I built five years ago.  I’m not looking forward to building this station again, but at least I can reverse engineer the structure from the N scale model.  I also have the plans that @wm3798 drew for me.

More on the Carolina Sandhills Lines thread in the Layout Engineering Forum.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1174
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 10:52:53 PM »
+12

Building salt silos for Sirlee Salt, a genuine Weldon Aggregates Product
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7011
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 11:29:58 PM »
+26

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +233
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 09:09:08 AM »
+13
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I had some custom decals made up for some cars I've been wanting earlier this year @Jesse6669 . This car I actually saw at a mill in Mechanicsburg, PA, a couple years ago.

Since there are no Thrall 5150s in N scale, the 5161 I had turned into this beauty. I actually handled these on my shortline for Perdue in Hurlock, MD, before the mill went organic.
This one was inspired by @mu26aeh . Again, wrong car type, but it works. I can't take credit for the custom painting or the decal application on any of these. They were done by a fellow railroader in Iowa.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:46:16 AM by RockGp40 »
No farms, no food.

Support your local farmer's market!

TimF

• Crew
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »
+7
In my hometown, Hamburg (germany) someone gave up his hobby and I got his last locomotive.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +120
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 01:42:54 PM »
+1
Just about finished packing my collection and about to dismantle the railroad in preparation to move it to the next address I will add to the long list of places I have called home. 8 years at my current place was a record and I am pushing 60. I must be part gypsy as I am not a military child nor a former member. I do get a room in the basement of the gf's place where I am headed. Do I reassemble and expand or start over is the question I have been pondering for a month or so now. Other than that I haven't worked on railroad related items in a while save slowly cleaning up the layout room. I have been getting some paint on my 28mm Infinity miniatures for a local tournament in Dec. though.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1033
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 01:54:52 PM »
+12
This week I sanded down 100 dowels into tree trunks on my belt sander, and then wound floral wire around about 80 of them following the amazing tutorial here on TRW. I had to stop through as I developed a rather large blister after wrapping almost 700 ft of wire, haha. The trees I’m making are all conifers at about 80-160ft in height.

Craig.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 03:05:24 PM »
+13
Still needs a bit of touch up, but Erie Diner-Lounge 2999 is almost complete (modified from a MTL single window coach).  Added exhaust vents over the kitchen area (the small windows on the right), steam ejector AC hatch and vents on the roof, extra water tank, pressure tank and connection box underneath, as well as a cabinet for propane tanks (the box with 2 square doors). Drilled new bolster holes to accept the top equalized trucks from the MTL Erie baggage car. I need to acquire an extra MTL diner interior, which will be bashed with a parlor interior to create a "pretty close" copy of the interior arrangement.  The MTL single window coach is very close to the cars that Erie rebuilt to make the original 2999, and 2996.

Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1039
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 06:55:10 PM »
+11
I did this car last weekend. The decal is from Circus City and fit the side of the car really nicely, but I had to paint the bottom sill of the car and end railing to match somewhat close. While I had the car apart I also replaced the trucks with BLMA 100T trucks and body mounted MT 1015s.

Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 09:32:49 PM »
(Attachment Link)
This one was inspired by @mu26aeh . Again, wrong car type, but it works. I can't take credit for the custom painting or the decal application on any of these. They were done by a fellow railroader in Iowa.

Incobrasa does have Trinities. It's just in the wrong number series.

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=brix97342&o=utlx

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +281
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 01:34:03 PM »
+6
Houston, Houston come in over.

Go ahead.

Houston, we have benchwork!

Check out my Greenville and Northern thread for more

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 04:58:25 PM by packers#1 »
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1174
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 04:07:10 PM »
+4

Three light coats of Mr. Surfacer Fine White Primer later, the SirLee Salt storage silos are ready for detail painting and layout installation.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B