Author Topic: Loksound V4 vs v5  (Read 203 times)

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +323
Loksound V4 vs v5
« on: October 31, 2021, 05:14:06 PM »
For those who have both, is it worth upgrading to the V5 decoder? I know that speed matching the two can be difficult or at least a little more challenging. I have four v4 decoders destined for installation one day but was wondering if I should sell them and get a V5's instead.

Jason
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +508
Re: Loksound V4 vs v5
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 06:01:50 PM »
There's an option to convert the V5 speed table back to the V-Start. V-Mid and V-high format as in Pre V5 decoders. Easy to do if you have a LokProgrammer, not too sure how easy without.

As far as replacing your V4's with V5's, I don't know if I'd personally go that far. There are, however, some V5 sound files out that are not available in the V4 or Select files. Also, I believe the V5's have quite a bit more sound editing and customizing capabilities, though I personally find it far less than intuitive to do so.

One feature I do like...I think the V5's can do this anyway....is that you can program the V5 so that the RPM's will actually increase or decrease depending on load. My Zimo's and my BLI loco already did this and this was one shortcoming with my pre-V5 LokSounds that I wasn't crazy about. Cool feature for a single unit to have, though probably not so great if set up in a consist.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:12:11 PM by tehachapifan »