Author Topic: A mix of models, 1:220 and smaller  (Read 880 times)

martink

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
A mix of models, 1:220 and smaller
« on: October 23, 2021, 05:34:50 AM »
+3
I have been trying out some modelling ideas for next year's layout, in a variety of prototypes and scales.  Here is a short video summarizing them.  This post and video could have gone into any of 4 different categories on the forum, but since most of the models are 3D printed I'll drop it here.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: A mix of models, 1:220 and smaller
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 06:04:03 AM »
What do you use for couplers?  Just run a fishing line through the whole train?

Still can't believe how good it runs.

martink

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 07:11:40 AM »
What do you use for couplers?  Just run a fishing line through the whole train?

Still can't believe how good it runs.

Couplers?  Hah!  Each vehicle is self-propelled, so they only have alignment pins to minimize the side-to-side sway with shorter models.  For longer prototypes, even that is not required.  This also means that the maximum train length is unlimited and there is no haulage limit for small locos.  Low speed running and starting is completely reliable.  I can even shunt/switch with the 1:720 stock.  The main remaining limitations are that the motion is inherently jerky and there is a bit of side-to-side wobble:  I do what I can to minimize this, but cannot totally eliminate it.  On the other hand, if you are familiar with conventional T Gauge mechanisms...    ;)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 07:48:14 AM »
Awesome work ...I Garrat is an interesting locomotive ..  love the automobiles -- but they drive on the wrong side of the road :)

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 03:51:12 AM »
Awesome work ...I Garrat is an interesting locomotive ..  love the automobiles -- but they drive on the wrong side of the road :)
No the automobiles are driving on the correct side of the road  :D -- Oh wait I live in the British Commonwealth :D - oops!  :facepalm:

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 06:34:10 AM »
No the automobiles are driving on the correct side of the road  :D -- Oh wait I live in the British Commonwealth :D - oops!  :facepalm:

LOL .. You know I was joking :) -- the work is still fantastic .. I drove a few times in the UK -- it does take some getting used to after a lifetime of muscle memory driving on a different side of the road with the wheel on the opposite side ..   I also spent a year on Diego Garcia BIOT in the 70s .. we followed US practice there even thought it was British territory ( all other claims aside)

The link below describes how this all came about

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Why-do-the-British-drive-on-the-left/

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 09:00:28 AM »
Amazing stuff as always, Martin.  As the weather turns cold, and the automobiles get parked... I just pulled out the test loop again to start scenery.