Author Topic: Pizza Box Layout - Literally  (Read 2592 times)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
Re: Pizza Box Layout - Literally
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 09:49:26 AM »
checkout  displayfakefoods.com/fake-pizza  its a bit pricy    but the quality is good.  A couple of years ago when i was in Tokyo i remember going to a department store  and they were selling platters of fake sushi to bring home.     i alway thought that was odd.   found out they make silicone molds cast the food items in polyurethane and then spend an insane amount if time airbrushing the food items.   each piece was unique.       Almost every restaurant had the fake stuff in the window to entice the consumer to come in and order the real stuff.

That is exactly what I was pointing out in reply #9 - but make your own mold and paint it yourself.  The mold silicone is not cheap, but the ready-made fake food isn't cheap, either.

And, either way, you need to somehow make a flat roadbed for the track. 

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 11:36:19 AM »
As for the track roadbed, after you've got this fake pizza, whether it be plaster or some commercial plastic or foam thing, it's going to be a little tedious, but here's what I would try.

Glue it down to an underlying base - perhaps a thin plywood circle you cut out with a jigsaw, or if you are really fancy, a round sheet of aluminum, which would keep the whole thing thinner and preserve the illusion of the pizza.  (People even sell 1/8" aluminum ready-cut disks that are 18", 24" and other diameters on eBay for about $40). 

Use a sharpie on a string to mark the circular path where the track has to go, and then use a sharp utility knife to cut out the track pathway, leaving the plywood (or aluminum) underneath.   If it's plaster, you could use a Dremel with a steel cutter in it to clear out the "pizza" path.   It will be as neat as you are patient, and it doesn't have to be perfect, because you are going to ballast the track later anyway.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2021, 11:44:03 AM »
As for the track roadbed, after you've got this fake pizza, whether it be plaster or some commercial plastic or foam thing, it's going to be a little tedious, but here's what I would try.

Glue it down to an underlying base - perhaps a thin plywood circle you cut out with a jigsaw, or if you are really fancy, a round sheet of aluminum, which would keep the whole thing thinner and preserve the illusion of the pizza.  (People even sell 1/8" aluminum ready-cut disks that are 18", 24" and other diameters on eBay for about $40). 

Use a sharpie on a string to mark the circular path where the track has to go, and then use a sharp utility knife to cut out the track pathway, leaving the plywood (or aluminum) underneath.   If it's plaster, you could use a Dremel with a steel cutter in it to clear out the "pizza" path.   It will be as neat as you are patient, and it doesn't have to be perfect, because you are going to ballast the track later anyway.

I'll point out that round aluminum pans are commonly used in restaurants to hold pizzas (although this doesn't lead to the best possible crust), and are readily available at kitchen supply stores.  You could buy one and use it for the round aluminum base max proposes.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 12:29:49 PM »
because you are going to ballast the track later anyway.

With grated cheese or what?

My mind is spinning with the possibilities of this "railroad" carrying the ingredients to "build" this "pizza".  (Well OK, the possibilities and some good craft beers.  :D )

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2021, 03:26:45 PM »
Don't forget the Pizza Saver in the middle!  :D

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2021, 08:58:00 PM »
Don't forget the Pizza Saver in the middle!  :D

DFF

Great start for a water tower.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Bobster

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2021, 09:45:00 PM »
Good evening one and all,

Love the ideas.  I like what the prop girl does.  The first question is how strong is her clay when dry?  I don't want to risk it cracking.    So far I'm thinking a thin plywood 23 inch disk with a thin layer of cork on it. Or just cork where the track will be.   T-pin the track to the cork and trace it.  Then remove the track and make the inner and outer  sections of pizza.  Paint then put the track back in.  For the ballast something that looks like the Kraft Parmesan  cheese that comes in the green can,  or in the clear jar at the pizza place.  I like the pizza saver as extra protection.

The I was thinking the train would have cheese in a gondola, the type of gondola used for coal hauling.  I have a crane car that could be ahead of the flat car loaded with either pepperoni or a banana pepper.  Another gondola could have dried red pepper in it, the other jar on the table at the pizza place.  Possibly a Tabasco tanker.  A beer box car and a tomato sauce tank car should round out the cars. 

Finally I was thinking of modifying a real pizza cutter by putting a steel disk and hub on it to make it resemble a rail car wheel.

Thank you again,
Bobster

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 09:50:37 AM »
This is ridiculous.

And amazing.

I can't wait to see it come together.

Bobster

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2021, 12:05:45 PM »
Good afternoon all,

Ridiculous is the goal. As is realistic appearance for the pizza.  I have the plywood, a jigsaw, a 24 " pizza box, and the track.  Hopefully I have enough cork.  Still need the clay and the paints.

Any thoughts on what ballast looks most like grated Parmesan cheese?

Thanks to all for the ideas and encouragement,
Bobster

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2021, 01:36:06 PM »
After reading through the ideas... The idea of taking a real pizza.. making a rubber mold of it..
Then a plaster cast of the pizza mold and paint it to look like a pizza..

~Ian

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2021, 12:04:27 AM »
 :|      There have been Pizza Box layouts here in Utah for a number of years here. A project for kids to build and landscape N scale layouts in pizza boxes at train shows which are judged for creativity. Nate Goodman. (Nato).  :|

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2021, 11:29:46 AM »
But can you also include the scent of a fresh baked pizza?

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +550
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »
You can also add a coal car from an anthracite road for all those old-school pizzeria ovens that still burn the stuff.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2021, 11:03:48 AM »
You can also add a coal car from an anthracite road for all those old-school pizzeria ovens that still burn the stuff.
Ha!  To this day, one of the steam loco models I made in my PRR days has a tender coal load made from a bit of burned crust of a rhubarb pie that I put in a ziplock and pulverized a little with a hammer and my hands, because it just seemed to have the right look.