Author Topic: 2.3s layers on an OG Anycubic Photon  (Read 505 times)

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
2.3s layers on an OG Anycubic Photon
« on: October 18, 2021, 10:12:52 PM »
So I have resurrected my ailing OG Anycubic Photon. I have to say I am pretty impressed with the new print times. I haven't done much detail work (since that's not this printers job) but the print times are similar to my Sonic Mini 4k with vroom settings. I know quite a few have them from long ago so if you want to resurrect it let me know - I'd be happy to share any info I have.

Here is the main guts of the upgrade (a mono 5.5" screen) and really all I needed.
I followed some of what was in this video. It's not super detailed but I worked most of it out. For $40 I think it's worth it to get this machine back into business. Your resolution will be slightly lower from the original screens 47 micron to new screens 65 micron. But the time savings along is well worth it I think.

I think you can squeeze a bit more out of it size wise since my objects are printing a bit too big. I am calibrating now.

My current layer times with Inland Standard Resin is 2.3s-2.4s per layer (my SM4k same resin is 2.8-3s). I have redone the firmware config to be like my other Sonic Mini 4k machine. It's not as fast but it's printing really well and way more quickly than stock. Given that the machine is 4.5 years old which is like 10,000 in printer years it's pretty cool.

Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
Re: 2.3s layers on an OG Anycubic Photon
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 05:26:33 AM »
If you replace the screen with one of a different pixel size. Then how do you slice the model? Since this tells what pixels are on or off.

Also isn't great speed achieved by using a better light source under the screen?

My photon has been sitting... still has resin in it  :-X

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 08:37:14 AM »
+1
Chitu has revised the firmware for this screen to be used on the Photon (you just update the firmware for the new screen). Then I applied my firmware changes after I confirmed it was working (with the new firmware).

I sliced the model in Chitubox like I do all of them. I just changed the pixel dimensions to the new screen (attached).

The great speed comes from a mono screen not a thick rgb screen like the OG photon had. The light source is more than adequate - in fact it's really great and even (I wasn't expecting that). I tried it as a lark "just to see" and it works really well.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 08:57:10 AM by timwatson »
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 09:24:28 AM »
Ah I didn't know the screen was thinner.