Author Topic: Masking Tape  (Read 1837 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Masking Tape
« on: January 06, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »
What brands are you using?  I want to mask some structures for spray painting.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Masking Tape
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 08:54:05 PM »
+4
For precision masking: Tamiya Tape.
For other tasks: Scotch brand Blue Painter's Tape.
For unusual masking jobs I use liquid masks (various brands).

Sometimes combinations of those 3 mediums.

I found out that Tamiya tape is just Japanese "Washi tape", that seems to now be available in USA. I got some Washi tape in my local Ace Hardware store.  Washi tape is more expensive than any standard masking tapes, but less expensive than Tamiya tape.
. . . 42 . . .

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 09:39:12 AM »
Same as Peteski - I use Tamiya tape for small, precise jobs and regular blue tape for larger less precise jobs.  Thanks Peteski about the fact that Tamiya = Washi, and that this is available in at least some hardware stores.  Bob

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 04:35:02 PM »
I have been eying the Tamiya tape.  I am going to order some and try it out.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 06:23:08 PM »

I found out that Tamiya tape is just Japanese "Washi tape", that seems to now be available in USA. I got some Washi tape in my local Ace Hardware store.  Washi tape is more expensive than any standard masking tapes, but less expensive than Tamiya tape.

I’m guessing that most specialty model related supplies are just relabeled & repriced products from other high volume industries.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 06:32:51 PM »
+1
I like the Tamiya Tape because it is transparent enough that you can  somewhat see beneath it, it snugs down really well over details with very little burnishing required and it is quite flexible for curves if necessary, particularly the narrower widths.
Like all tape though, I'll most of the time cut a straight edge with a knife if a super straight line is important.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Hatchet

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 10:36:48 PM »
I was in my local Michael’s looking for another item and found a ton of Washi tape in the scrapbook section. Haven’t looked for it at Ace Hardware yet but at least it’s an alternative source.

Mark

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 02:22:47 AM »
+1
Not surprised to find Washi tape at Michael's scrapbooking section. It has pretty color pictures printed on it.  Even the stuff at Ace hardware is not plain. I found it in the section where regular masking tape is sold.  But yes, it seems that Washi tape is sold as craft product, not just masking tape.

For full disclosure I want to mention that it was actually Mark Watson here who introduced me to Washi tape, and the fact that it is just like the Tamiya tape. He mentioned looking for it on eBay - I just accidentally ran into it at Ace Hardware.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:25:28 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

kondor

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 08:36:42 AM »

+1, same technique all around.
if you need less aggressive adhesion on your masking tape of choice, don't be afraid to stick it then remove it from your workbench a couple of times before applying to your workpiece.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »
+1
if you need less aggressive adhesion on your masking tape of choice, don't be afraid to stick it then remove it from your workbench a couple of times before applying to your workpiece.

Good point!  Or, stick it and remove if from your forehead. Yes, you read it correctly.  :) The oils in your skin will make the adhesive less aggressive.
. . . 42 . . .

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +363
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 12:00:55 PM »
+1
Good point!  Or, stick it and remove if from your forehead. Yes, you read it correctly.  :) The oils in your skin will make the adhesive less aggressive.

New banner in 3...2....1....    :P
Doug

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 12:49:41 PM »

The only reason I wouldn't agree this is a good idea is the risk of small hair, dust or any other crap on your bench sticking to the tape and ruining a paint job.
Tamiya tape doesn't have a very aggressive adhesive to begin with.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Wutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +247
    • Wutter Vehicles and Details
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 02:22:23 PM »
+4
For normal masking tape has pretty high tack usually (which I use to fill in the big areas after using Tamiya tape to do sharp edge lines); I have a piece of glass that I scrape clean with a razor blade right before I use it and then apply the tape to the glass to cut my lines before pulling it up and using it. Its also a good clean surface to do thin line cutting or other shapes before applying.
Alvin
Wutter Vehicles and Details
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wuttervehicles

tehachapi highlight reel:

perezbill

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 04:45:43 PM »
+1
For painting I have used the blue painters tape from Scotch. One thing I always do is after masking is to repaint the same color I masked off so it seals the tape and the next color won't bleed underneath the tape.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 08:52:59 PM »
+2
I’ve had good success using Frog Tape. It works almost as well as Tamiya and much better than blue painters tape.  It works very well for precision making. I cut it on glass with a straight edge to make thin strips of any size.

Craig