Author Topic: Best speakers for N scale installations?  (Read 822 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Best speakers for N scale installations?
« on: October 18, 2021, 11:55:06 PM »
Is there any 'most recent' consensus on what the best-sounding speakers (and enclosures) are for N-scale mobile sound decoder installations?

Mainly I am thinking of Loksound decoders in 6-axle Kato diesel units.  But I am also thinking of something larger that can work for HO scale.... some sound upgrade projects might help me break out of my latest modeller's funk, hopefully at least ....  :facepalm:

Thanks in advance,
Ed

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Re: Best speakers for N scale installations?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 12:11:37 AM »
I don't know if they're the best, but my go-to speaker for N scale installs lately is this 9x16mm CUI Devices speaker at Digikey....

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cui-devices/CMS-16098A-SP/7404546?s=N4IgTCBcDaIIwAYwFoAsBmdAOZA5AIiALoC%2BQA

If I need a smaller one I go with this 8x12mm Soberton speaker....

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/soberton-inc/SP-1208/6099104?s=N4IgTCBcDaICwGYEFoCMqEAZkDkAiIAugL5A

The Soberton speaker is rated at 250mW (500mW max), so you need to be careful with volume levels. The CUI devices one is rated at 800mW (1W max) which is a bit more robust but I'm still careful not to overdrive it.

The sound quality on both, in my opinion, is excellent....provided a suitable, properly-sized and air-tight enclosure has been affixed to the speaker.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 12:14:14 AM by tehachapifan »

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 03:06:36 PM »
You might want to check out a Soberton  SP 1609S. Has a 92 DB rate- which should give you more volume.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 03:50:08 PM »
+5
I don't think there is enough (if any) difference in sound quality in the speakers we use in N scale to make a difference.  It's the size that matters (really!), and I buy whatever size I need from whomever makes them with solder pads instead of spring terminals (if I can get them that way).  Soberton is the only manufacturer that makes an 8x12mm.  Soberton, CUI and PUI all make the other sizes, 16x9, 11x15 and 13x18.  I tend to default to CUI for the other sizes, but honestly they are all about the same.

As Tehachipifan notes, the best thing you can do is fit the largest size speaker you can and make sure that you have a suitably-sized SEALED enclosure for it.  Minimum enclosure sizes for best sound from these run about 500 cubic mm for the 8x12; 700 for the 9x16 and 11x15, and 1000 for the 13x18.  In general, these translate to a box with 6mm (minimum) sides:  8x12x6 = 576; 9x16x6 = 864.  11x15x6=990;  13x18x6 = 1404.  By the time you subtract the space taken up by the speaker mechanicals, you come out to about the right number.  I actually use 7 - 8mm sides when I can; a slightly larger enclosure than the minimum gives a bit better sound.  But you can actually get TOO large, so don't go crazy.

Using these cell-phone type speakers with a suitable enclosure will always blow a factory sound install out of the water.  I just replaced a factory sound installation that used two 1" round speakers with a 13x18 CUI in a sealed enclosure, and the sound quality of the 13x18 was so much better the owner of the units couldn't believe it.  Manufacturers STILL have not gotten the message that only a sealed enclosure around the speakers gives the best sound.  Instead, they continue to mount speakers in or on the frame, using the frame or nothing as an "enclosure" with predictable terrible results.  I much prefer to buy engines without sound installed, and I've told my HO-scale friends to do that as well.  I can convert them all to sound; use LokSound decoders which are superior (for US diesels, anyway) to anything else on the market and put in a custom speaker for about what the price difference is between a sound and non-sound unit, and my conversions will sound a thousand times better.

John C.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 03:56:49 PM by jdcolombo »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 08:06:08 PM »
Listen to the man; I have nothing to add :D
Otto K.