Author Topic: eBay has changed their listing categories (and lost their minds)  (Read 1671 times)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
Re: eBay has changed their listing categories (and lost their minds)
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2021, 10:43:14 PM »
So I have at least figured out how to get it to filter for N on the mobile app- below the category menu tab is now one called "gauge" and you can select N scale from there.

I'm not really sure how this is an improvement but I can see how it wrecked everyone's saved searches.

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2021, 11:57:22 PM »
Yeah… all of my saved searches are pretty well done for. My saved search for ho scale Erie brass now shows me trains, automotive parts (actuators etc), fishing lures, tools, and general collectibles to name a few.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +900
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2021, 05:11:37 AM »
Yeah that's really strange. It looks like the filter menu is context dependant rather than drill down. Brand and material are also brought up a level within the filter settings.

The disadvantage of contextual menus like this is that you have to back up every time you change the base category selection, making it less intuitive.

My guess is that this was done for other categories and model trains just got thrown in with the migration algorithm.
Giving me love
All on your canvas
All of the girls
All on the mattress

Lock the door
Dim the lights
Bottoms up
I'm in love
And you too

You're the best I can do
You're the best I can do
You're the...
You're the...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3914
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2021, 05:51:24 AM »
I went to an item saved in My Ebay and clicked on "model trains" then I clicked N scale and searched "0-6-0" It gave me all the 0-6-0's for all of model trains in all scales. I did my search within N scale and it took me right out. After though I could click N scale off the to left and it filtered those results to just N scale.

This is the same guy who keep changing the menu on my streaming service  :RUEffinKiddingMe:   Every other month I have to figure out their new way to get to my channel...

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »
Yeah..... This is 100% broken. But eBay doesn't give 2 Effs about if we think it works, or if it makes us happy. So strap in boys, we are going to have to figure out this new BS, or find another market place.

IMHO eBay has jumped the shark many MANY times, and keeps fixing ***** that aint broken.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2021, 04:59:22 PM »
+1
Well... This will keep me from spending money on ebay and potentially focus more on getting a layout built.

Silver lining as they say...  :P
Ryan in Alberta

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2021, 06:01:36 PM »
So I contacted eBay support today via chat.   They confirmed that this is intended.   The categories as we knew them are gone.  (until they're not...I don't think model railroaders are the only ones upset by this, so stay tuned...)

Comments:
1. I played around with it to see what I could do.  So for me, I took my existing Saved Searches and simply added the name of the former Category into the search.   It seems to work ok.   
2. One issue is "Z Scale" versus "Z-Scale" so you may have to do twice as many searches for your given scale preference.   
3. And I don't know how consistent this is, either against itself day-to-day or when compared to the previous way.
4. Also, this may only help until the existing categorized auctions run out.  If they are removing the categories I kinda doubt they will stay as part of the auction creation process.
Doug

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2021, 08:27:20 AM »
Well... This will keep me from spending money on ebay and potentially focus more on getting a layout built.

Silver lining as they say...  :P

Same here I've bought so much HO now since my scale switch I need to finish the layout which I'm finally doing, less spending more doing  :D

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2021, 09:05:20 AM »
+1
Well, when I do a revised saved search (category: Model Railroads and Trains; N gauge box checked), as of this morning, it shows 87,575 items, if I also opt for auction only, it shows 4094 items.  Last week, searching the N scale subcategory under Model Railroads and Trains, those numbers were (give or take) 200,000 for All Listings, and 7200 for Auctions.

So, 1) I am speculating that sellers are not happy either, and not listing much new stuff as they try to navigate the new system.  And for the high volume sellers, this is a big expense- it takes employees to make the changes and process all the complaints from repeat customers.
 and 2) Speculating that they are also pissed off, since their current auctions are not being viewed by as many customers, and the customer base is upset and probably not buying as much, even when they do find it.
and (3) I have to figure they did not get much warning either.  We have enough eBay sellers around here that if sellers were notified, it would be hard to believe that the communications were not put up on a thread here.
Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2021, 11:09:03 AM »
+2
I don't remember which search it was but it was a search for N scale somethings, but the new listings pulled up a bunch of women's latex bondage clothes. So now I no longer need that saved search for bondage latex...
Sacramento Valley NTrak

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2021, 11:18:43 AM »
+1
I don't remember which search it was but it was a search for N scale somethings, but the new listings pulled up a bunch of women's latex bondage clothes. So now I no longer need that saved search for bondage latex...

Look at that....you doubled your productivity!   :P :scared:
Doug

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1049
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2021, 11:28:25 AM »
You can still search under major plastic brands.  So if you want a CSX Atlas locomotive.... you can still search that.

I was about to list a brass Hallmark Santa Fe early scheme M190 with a decoder and window glass added.    There is no way I would list this now because there is no way for buyers to find easily find it if they are not looking specifically for it.

My tinkering with their new system is that it is BRAND focused.   So if you want to search for N scale brass locomotives by Hallmark.... you can find them.

But I had a complex search where I checked brass in N scale every day (as others here do) and that more generic search is hopeless now.   You can still do a search like that.... but the results are far smaller.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +95
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 05:50:49 PM »
The good, the bad, the ugly: a comprehensive analysis of eBay's N Scale category changes.

Of the hundreds of watches that I have created over the span of many years, only those that were directly related to the former N Scale category have been impacted by eBay's October 12th site changes.

My heavily filtered main N Scale category search is now toast.

Item searches that were filtered to only show N Scale products are now showing listings in all scales.

Excluded sellers and selling locations can still be filtered.

You can no longer filter out unwanted brands or keywords.

You can no longer make the seller ids, feedback, or listing dates visible in the search page results.

You can no longer save searches.

As searches can no longer be saved, new listings related to your saved searches will no longer appear on your personalized eBay home page saved searches feed.

You can longer select how many items are seen on each page of results.

Your page results no longer indicate which items are promoted listings, which with eBay's newly launched PPC (i.e., Pay Per Click) advertising model means sellers are going to be paying for numerous buyer clicks on listings that do not end up in a sale.

Bluntly put, while eBay's minimalist approach might be advantageous for smartphone users, the new categorizations and changes in search filtering were likely made to improve site profitability from a rapidly diminishing group of sellers.

After more than two decades on eBay, I ended my sales on the site earlier this year because of the increased costs and risks that came along with the venue's managed payments mandate.

In addition, along with huge increases in seller pricing and shipping costs, a rapidly diminishing selection of products and US based sellers has made eBay a last stop destination for the majority of my purchases.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2865
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Sounds like what you have have is a new amazon marketplace, not an auction site.  I sure hope so that someone smart entrepreneur will develop a "real" auction" site like eBay once was, and reap the rewards of all the disenchanted eBay users who will be leaving eBay.  Of course it will have to start small, but hopefully it will grow fast.
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +380
Ok, so I checked one of my saved searches this morning:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I guess they relocated the scale "filter" ("gauge" :lol:) and "unchecked" it for my search.

I checked the N "gauge" and saved the resulting "new" search.

What a pain!

The most amusing one of my searches is my N scale "VW Golf" search, which now brings up endless 1:1 VW Golf Parts.

I guess this means that I have to do the above process for every "scale" limited search that I have.

Mark
« Last Edit: Today at 10:10:43 AM by Mark5 »