Author Topic: eBay has changed their listing categories (and lost their minds)  (Read 1649 times)

orion, C855B and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
It is no longer easy to search for items within model trains by scale. In some cases you cannot search by scale at all. I sent this message as feedback and wanted to share it. Maybe if we send the same message 300 times they will get the hint.  :D

You have removed “scale” as relevant from the search criteria from model trains. That is like removing the “size” as a relevant criteria for buying tires, or “flavor” as relevant from buying ice cream. Sellers are going to lose a LOT of sales. It’s not beany babies. Size matters.

Restore scale “size” as the primary category and do not confuse it with “gauge” which is the spacing between the rails that more than one scale size train can run on.

Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +742
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: eBay has changed their listing categories (and lost their minds)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 09:33:29 AM »
I still see the categories, but it looks like they've screwed up some of the ways to get to where you want to go.

Here's N scale

https://www.ebay.com/b/N-Scale-Model-Railroads-Trains/19119/bn_1650078

Jason
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 09:35:37 AM by wcfn100 »

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1049
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 09:54:42 AM »
I noticed the same thing and am very frustrated.

If you search:  KATO SD40
There is no way to filter the results for N scale.

You have to take their pop up suggestion to get N or click on the little link up top for related searches.

But the new way they are doing this is horrible.

I hope this thread doesn't get moved to crew lounge too quickly since this effects N scalers more than HO since HO is more popular.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:04:48 AM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1049
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 09:59:03 AM »
Where is the contact link to complain.   I can't find it.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +556
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 10:17:48 AM »
Oh Dammit!!..    :facepalm:

Ebay is turning into a retail market place for model trains anyways.. so... whatever..
It's clear that the people who design the categories clearly have no f*cking clue about the market they are working around..

Ebay Model Train categories could be as simple as:
Model Trains:
Z scale
N Scale
HO Scale
O scale 2 Rail
O Scale 3 Rail
G Scale
Other Scales

Yeah you could have Locomotive/Freight Cars/Ect within each of those.. but people don't know how to to list things in the correct forum (er I mean category).. so I always base my searches in N scale to catch everything.
-- So now.. not only do I have to deal with Freight Cars in Locomotives.. I have to deal with people not listing the correct scale, nor have a way to search it.

EDIT:
Well wait.. If type in Conrail (for example ;) ) into Ebay, and narrow down to Toys-Hobbies>Model Railroads and Trains: Then I see a gauge selector.. Z, N, HO, Ect..
As soon as I click on the next category level of "Railroad and Trains" and deeper, I loose the gauge selector.. I ALSO loose all the results because (I assume) most of the listings are still using the old structure..

~Ian
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:23:16 AM by learmoia »
Dear Intermountain.. Please cancel your N scale 4785s.. That ship has already left China..... Twice... 

~Ian

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 10:25:41 AM »
On my screen, I now need to navigate to "Toys and Hobbies" and then "Model Railroad and Trains" and then I get a bunch of check boxes on the left hand side of the screen, in groups.  I have the option to click "N" for the "gauge" (not "scale", but that might make sense to folks who collect internationally, as "N gauge" encompasses 1:144 and 1:150, etc). 

But I am using Firefox on Linux, so I may have a different screen that most.

I would note that I have limited to Auctions in North America (with the additional qualifiers above) and am getting about 1200 fewer hits than when I did the same search yesterday- not sure if this means they have refined things so that they are no longer showing all the HO and other scales that used to be mixed in to N scale, but the results are clearly filtering out some of what was there last night.
Tom D.

If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out.

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 10:34:05 AM »
On my screen, I now need to navigate to "Toys and Hobbies" and then "Model Railroad and Trains" and then I get a bunch of check boxes on the left hand side of the screen, in groups.  I have the option to click "N" for the "gauge" (not "scale", but that might make sense to folks who collect internationally, as "N gauge" encompasses 1:144 and 1:150, etc). 

I think it's fair to combine N Gauge and N scale..   :trollface:

Given that 'Size' is usually a filter in other areas of marketing.. moving scale to a filter vs a category sorta makes sense..

We just don't like change  :ashat: 

Shameless plug for Caboose Stop Hobbies on You tube.. we divide our videos by scale  :D  Although an N scale item usually pops up in every HO video.. and vise versa..

~Ian
Dear Intermountain.. Please cancel your N scale 4785s.. That ship has already left China..... Twice... 

~Ian

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
Here's a screenshot of what I am seeing now.  Before I selected "N" in the "Gauge" section, "Gauge" was well down the page, after I selected it, "Gauge" jumped to the top.

Tom D.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 10:44:06 AM »
I think it's fair to combine N Gauge and N scale..   :trollface:

Given that 'Size' is usually a filter in other areas of marketing.. moving scale to a filter vs a category sorta makes sense..

We just don't like change  :ashat: 

Shameless plug for Caboose Stop Hobbies on You tube.. we divide our videos by scale  :D  Although an N scale item usually pops up in every HO video.. and vise versa..

~Ian

It doesn't bother me, other than that they completely re-wrote my searches.

But it may be for the better in the long run....IF (big IF) along with the changes, they are eliminating all the HO and other scale/gauge stuff that used to appear in "N scale" listings.
Tom D.

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 10:45:24 AM »
Here's a screenshot of what I am seeing now.  Before I selected "N" in the "Gauge" section, "Gauge" was well down the page, after I selected it, "Gauge" jumped to the top.

Yep.. thats what I"m seeing as well.. but.. as soon as you click on Railroads and Trains, you loose almost everything.. (you loose the filter, and viewable items)..

I think items area still filtered, but you loose the ability to change the filter.

I just looked at Mobile, and I found the gauge filter there too..

HOWEVER.. ALL of my searches are now broken!.. And I'm having a hard time getting them reset because when I reset the new category, I DON'T Have the gauge filter!?*!@!

It doesn't bother me, other than that they completely re-wrote my searches.
Looks like we both found that at the same time :)

But it may be for the better in the long run....IF (big IF) along with the changes, they are eliminating all the HO and other scale/gauge stuff that used to appear in "N scale" listings.

I doubt it.. that is all set by the seller, and wrong either by lack of knowledge or a mistake in bulk listing, and Ebay doesn't police accuracy except for buyer protection after the fact if the item is described wrong...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:51:24 AM by learmoia »

~Ian

porkypine52

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 10:51:36 AM »
Jeez--Louise   I just looked at FeeBay's N-Scale Category [I had it bookmarked]  Yup looks like some Dumbbell screwed it up.    And my main reason for looking was to BUY.    I wonder what is going on with SELLING?   I'm not completely sure that I'm good with the changes with PayPal as yet.  I've already had a dispute lodged against me and PayPal immediately sided with the Buyer against me.  Never even wanted to see what I would say.  And so now the BUYING side has gone down the tubes also?  Well, FeeBay had better realize that they are NOT the only game in town anymore.  The Railwire, and other websites, are doing a service for all of us Model Railroaders, which is listing items to Sell & Buy, everyday and night.  And NO fees at all. 
So I have about had it with FeeBay and their payment methods.   Jury is still out on PayPal too.  But PayPal money transfer, NOT INVOLVING FeeBay is working FINE.  It just FeeBay that SUCKS anymore.     
If I studied all my life, I couldn't think up half the number of funny things passed in one session of congress.

Will Rogers

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 11:10:20 AM »
+1
I was wondering why I was getting thousands of search results for things I normally get 2-3 a week. Just when I think that EBay can't get any worse, they go out and prove me wrong again...
Sacramento Valley NTrak

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +380
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 11:26:17 AM »
It's probably another somewhat temporary glitch in the coding. They are always messing with it - probably will be back to "normal" by tomorrow.

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 11:34:38 AM »
https://www.valueaddedresource.net/ebay-category-item-specifics-changes-october/

Looks like they had a major category revamp drop today, and it hasn't gone well.   "Give it 24-48 hours" is the recommendation before you blow up all your searches.
Doug

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 12:15:42 PM »
I always search fpr n scale then what ever and it has worked great for a long time.