Author Topic: Weekend Update 10/3/21  (Read 5866 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8035
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 10/3/21
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2021, 12:58:10 PM »
Have you considered silicone nubs.  :trollface:

I have, actually!

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2021, 01:52:30 PM »
Are Apple or Samsung, or any camera maker, for that matter even aware that focus stacking is a thing or that there might be a demand for it being a built in function?  I can't imagine there are too many settings outside of model photography where it's a thing, or where anyone needing it for work wouldn't have better tools with the capability built in to whatever they are using to make their images.

@basementcalling  Samsung is/was aware somewhat of focus stacking but in a very minor way.  My old Samsung smartphone, which I retired about three years ago when I got my Google Pixel2 XL had a function that combined two shots of different focus points, which helped a little, but was designed just to increase depth of field in normal photography...not in macro photography, although it worked somewhat when taking closeups. Closeup photos combining the two photos combining near and far focus points usually resulted in the foreground and background being in focus, with a goodly portion of the mid-range being out of focus.  This was because the closer you get to the camera's lens, the narrower your depth of field (focus) becomes.  It worked great for scenery and portraiture to increase what was in focus, but not so good for "macro" photography.

On the other hand, actual camera manufacturers ARE aware of focus stacking, and Nikon included the ability to take multiple shots at different focus points in the same composition with their top-of-the-line D850 full-frame 45.7MP $3,000+ body (which is now on sale for $1,000 off).  Here's what Nikon says about the system:  Focus Shift Mode benefits working with focus stacking techniques by automatically recording a series of images at up to 10 different focus steps. Up to 300 individual frames can be recorded within these 10 steps, with the D850 automatically shifting focus between each shot to achieve an extended depth of field. The sequential images will be saved within a unique folder on the memory card in order to keep each series of exposures segregated for a faster and easier post-production workflow.

Nikon is also including this feature on their top-of-the-line mirrorless camera, the not-yet-released Z9 body which will cost about 6 grand.

Although I haven't read the specs, I understand that Fuji also includes a focus-stacking feature on one or more of their camera bodies.

All of these don't actually do focus stacking, but take sequentially focused photos automatically that allow the focus stacking process to be done later in your laptop or desktop computer using your favorite focus stacking program ("post-production workflow").

What I am hoping for is for a "real" camera manufacturer to develop a camera with an included smartphone instead of a mere electronics company developing a smartphone with an included camera...the emphasis being on the camera instead of all that other extraneous stuff I never use except for making and receiving calls & messages.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 02:08:17 PM by robert3985 »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2021, 01:59:37 AM »
Ed:  A real cheap way of covering screw points is wire insulation.  Find a wire a little smaller than the outside diameter of the threads, with thick plastic insulation, and remove a piece of the insulation.  Cut it into segments and screw them on!
N Kalanaga
Be well

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2021, 08:47:52 PM »
If you Dremel the tips off while in the hole you risk a melted deformed hole , or the plastic melted to the screw making removal very hard at best . Take the screw out , hold with a very small Vice Grip and lop off almost but not all of the taper , then debur for easy allignment .

Richie Dost

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +563
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2021, 09:58:56 PM »
+1
Or, just put a blob of silicone on the exposed threads.  It won't fall off but won't keep the screw from being removed.  (PS, don't substitute polyurethane, or you might never get the screws out.)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2021, 02:10:21 AM »
Maletrain:  I hadn't thought of that, not having caulking around the house.  That would be even easier than my suggestion!
N Kalanaga
Be well