Author Topic: Blackstone Models News  (Read 1781 times)

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
Blackstone Models News
« on: December 05, 2021, 05:10:37 PM »
  Or lack of it .

To our valued Blackstone Models customers – we hear and appreciate your frustration!  We have been in touch with several factories and feel we have some good options for producing and re-releasing some of our prior runs of HOn3 products.
Unfortunately, due to the virus, the reduced capacity in some of these factories and the lagging delays from earlier shutdowns, the majority of factories (new or old) will not consider our production until 2021.
We will continue to make plans in the hopes that both the political and health environment continues to improve. We sincerely apologize for what must look like indifference – like most companies, we are adapting as best we can to this unprecedented year of chaos.  We will try to keep you better informed as we move forward.
As always, we thank you for your support!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: Blackstone Models News
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 05:30:03 PM »
< the majority of factories (new or old) will not consider our production until 2021.>

How long ago was this posted? Pretty sure 2021 is just about done!  :trollface:

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »
  Just posted last night or today on Facebook . Yea it's mostly the same news , but at least they are still thinking about us .

OK red face here .....This showed up on one of my e-mail groups this morning from multiple people . Should have done better research .
 Double face palm .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 06:34:06 PM by Mike C »

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 12:40:22 PM »
   Trying to wipe off some of the egg ....

Blackstone Models Production Update:
To our valued Blackstone Models customers – we hear and appreciate your frustration! We have been in touch with several factories and feel we have some good options for producing and re-releasing some of our prior runs of HOn3 products.

Unfortunately, due to the virus, the reduced capacity in some of these factories and the lagging delays from earlier shutdowns, the majority of factories (new or old) will not consider our production until 2022.

We will continue to make plans in the hopes that both the political and health environment continues to improve. We sincerely apologize for what must look like indifference – like most companies, we are adapting as best we can to this unprecedented year of chaos. We will try to keep you better informed as we move forward.

As always, we thank you for your support and patience!

Sincerely,
Nancy Workman, CEO & Owner
Blackstone Models & SoundTraxx

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 09:34:20 PM »
Looks like the same blurb they sent out October of last year with the date adjusted.

At this point their HOn3 K36's/K28's really do seem like a pipe dream

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 10:06:45 PM »
I got an update out of the blue from Trainworld reminding me that I had a Blackstone K-28 on order because apparently Trainworld updated their preorder system. For a moment my hopes were raised that maybe there was some new information...but nope.

I really hope Blackstone survives all of this and starts producing again. The current secondary market for Blackstone engines is becoming unreasonable, and the brass market is looking like the housing market. Blackstone freight cars are running $100 and their cabooses for $200 on eBay. At least in the case of the rolling stock, the Rail Line, MRGS, Precision Scale, Durango Press kits for the same prototypes are still available at reasonable prices. In that respect, HOn3 is very much like it was pre-Blackstone. Where the "Blackstone effect" is felt the worst is in motive power. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure my triumphant return to HOn3 would have been possible in the current environment the way it was in 2017 when Blackstone was still widely available at less than MSRP.

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 10:17:49 AM »
If the K-28s and 36s never materialize will people who pre-ordered them be out of pocket?  I don't have a dog in that fight, was just wondering.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 10:28:06 AM »

I really hope Blackstone survives all of this and starts producing again. The current secondary market for Blackstone engines is becoming unreasonable, and the brass market is looking like the housing market.

Glad you noticed this (highlighted text)...  I started noticing this earlier this year.  Brass started getting a whole lot more expensive again, and is now out of sight (for some models at least).  Are Gen-X'rs like myself starting to panic buy brass now?  Or is this the last gasp of the Boomer generation? 

JB

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 10:36:47 AM »
If the K-28s and 36s never materialize will people who pre-ordered them be out of pocket?  I don't have a dog in that fight, was just wondering.

Scott

I doubt it...  At least none of the places I saw who were taking pre-orders required any sort of deposit. I put exactly $0.00 on mine.

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 06:25:23 PM »
   @Dave V  If you are interested I have a couple of Brass locos for sale at a reasonable price . I bought them low did some maint and improvements and just want to sell them om .....Mike

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 07:02:40 PM »
   @Dave V  If you are interested I have a couple of Brass locos for sale at a reasonable price . I bought them low did some maint and improvements and just want to sell them om .....Mike

Actually, I have an embarrassing excess of motive power currently...  :scared:

Really the only one I'm interested in is RGS 20, because the brass model I have of it is a basket case I've never gotten around to fixing up.

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 09:40:56 PM »

Mike, I might be interested depending on what you have. Haven't expanded my fleet in some years now, and my work bench could always use a new project!

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 06:35:40 PM »
  @Erock482 I have a PFM United K28 That I have put a new 6 pole 4 magnet can motor in to replace the stock open frame motor . It runs very smooth and quietly . No original box though .I'll let it go for 300.00 plus shipping .

The other loco is a westside K27 Compound I believe this was the first rum from 1975 . It also has a new can motor same as the k28 that makes it a really great runner . It comes with 2 different tender shells the original slope back and a square MDC body . I also replaced the brass idler gear with a delrin gear from NWSL that really queited  it down and also took care of wear problems . And It will run on 18 " radius curves . I'm looking for 250.00 plus shipping for this one . Mike