Author Topic: Problem with locomotive  (Read 1496 times)

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
Re: Problem with locomotive
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 05:41:58 PM »
    I think that when you program the long add on a PowerCab It may have added the 0 automatically ?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »
    I think that when you program the long add on a PowerCab It may have added the 0 automatically ?

No, you have to type the leading zero to tell the Power Cab that you want it to be a long address.  Try it for yourself.  Select loco 100 and then 0100 and see how the Power cab displays the address differently, depending on whether you selected long or short address.  This is explained on page 23 of the PowerCab manual.  There is no "default" or any automatic zero adding.

When you have a loco with address "100" the natural inclination when assigning it to a throttle is to just type the address in as "100".  Since you didn't type  a leading zero, the Power Cab will be addressing loco 100 using short address.  The Power Cab display will show "100" as the current address.

If you type in "0100" when selecting that loco, the Power Cab will address that loco as "100" (long).  The Power Cab display will show "*100" to let you know it is using the long address.
. . . 42 . . .

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2021, 08:27:09 PM »
Peteski, I think you misread Mike C's post. 

He was asking if you had to add the leading zero to program a long address into the decoder.  My recollection is that you do not need it to program a long address number that can also be a short address.  The reason is that the Power Cab knows that you are programming long addresses when it is asking you to enter the number for the long address.  And, then it asks you if you want to activate that long address.

See pages 37 for POM and 44 for Programming Track assignments of locomotive addresses.  Nothing about leading zeros for long addresses for programming.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2021, 08:58:28 PM »
Peteski, I think you misread Mike C's post. 

He was asking if you had to add the leading zero to program a long address into the decoder.  My recollection is that you do not need it to program a long address number that can also be a short address.  The reason is that the Power Cab knows that you are programming long addresses when it is asking you to enter the number for the long address.  And, then it asks you if you want to activate that long address.

See pages 37 for POM and 44 for Programming Track assignments of locomotive addresses.  Nothing about leading zeros for long addresses for programming.

I would never use POM to change or set locos address (that is asking for trouble). But when using programming track then you are correct, NCE will prompt you to enter both short, and log address, and it will also ask which address to activate.

Mike's problem from the start was that he was entering the incorrect length address on the throttle (so the loco was not responding).
. . . 42 . . .

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 06:20:10 PM »
     @maleltrain Yes that is what I did . If I had to put in the 0 I would have remembered it .  Hey at least I learned something new . :)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2021, 06:54:38 PM »
     @maleltrain Yes that is what I did . If I had to put in the 0 I would have remembered it .  Hey at least I learned something new . :)

I'm still confused.  Where are you entering the leading zero?  When programming the address into the decoder, or when you are typing the locos address into the throttle in order to control it?  It can't be for POM as POM just takes the address of the loco you are currently controlling with the throttle.
. . . 42 . . .

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2021, 07:06:55 PM »
 Any time I progrom a new decoder I use the PT to be safe . Don't need a 0 there if you select long add it adds it automatically .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2021, 08:07:36 PM »
Any time I progrom a new decoder I use the PT to be safe . Don't need a 0 there if you select long add it adds it automatically .

But at that time no leading zero is needed.  While going through the programming on programming track sequence the PowerCab asks you to type in the short address, whether to activate that address, then to type in a long address and whether to activate that one. At no time during that process you have to add a leading zero.  That's why I'm confused.  The CVs  that hold the address of the decoder do not need any leading zeros.  CV1 holds the short address, then CV17 and 18 hold the logn address.  Neither has or needs a leading zero.

The leading zero is only needed when you select a loco on the PowerCab throttle, and want to control a loco which has its address in a range of 1-127 programmed as a long address.  The leading zero only exists within the Power Cab throttle (not programmed inside the decoder).

I have feeling that we will just keep going in circles.  I'm  glad that we all found the solution to your problem -- that's the important thing.
. . . 42 . . .

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2021, 08:45:43 PM »
 I am saying that the leading 0 is automaticaly added . In order to set a short add all yo need is a 3 not an 03 same with a long add , just use 100 and you get 0100 .u

Mike C

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2021, 08:52:15 PM »
   YEP A big circle jerk !  :D