Author Topic: Bachmann Steamer driving rod screws  (Read 1574 times)

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +244
Re: Bachmann Steamer driving rod screws
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 10:30:29 PM »
   I'm pretty shure it's still at the museum , but it's undercover now .

Yes, it is at ORM.  Not under cover (they have no cover) but wrapped in plastic.  At the end of service, it was stored for many years, then moved in the 1940's to the Ohio State Fairgrounds where it was used as a meeting room for a local group of railfans.  But while there it was heavily vandalized to the point of just being a shell.  The railfans moved it to Worthington and started a restoration that led to the piece being the museum's first and most prized piece of operating equipment starting in 1951.  I would suspect it's in worst for wear condition under that plastic.  Perhaps one day it will see the light of day again and operated.  In the meantime, the museum folk, with their very limited resources, understand what the have - the last surviving wood interurban out of the hundreds that plied the plains and hills of Ohio in the first part of the 20th century. 

Cheers,

Bob

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2021, 10:59:13 AM »
And since this thread has drifted this far, I will note that Illinois Railway Museum has a bunch of wood interurbans in running condition, properly stored in their 4 miles of covered track space.  Not only can you see these restored beauties, but they have run them in service in as much as a four car train!  IRM knows how to take care of them.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 06:45:13 PM »
@bbunge I'll have to look for it next time I'm there . Maybe tomorrow if the weather is right ....Mike

P.S. there is another Interurban there from the  CD&M Columbus Deleware and Marion Last time it ran was in 2005 I think .
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 06:49:22 PM by Mike C »

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2021, 09:23:20 PM »
@bbunge I'll have to look for it next time I'm there . Maybe tomorrow if the weather is right ....Mike

P.S. there is another Interurban there from the  CD&M Columbus Deleware and Marion Last time it ran was in 2005 I think .

Mike,  I'm very glad to hear that CD&M 501 ran that recently.  I rode in that car in my youth as well.  All the cooler since the ORM ROW is on the CD&M ROW.  I guess when I was about 10, the government rebuilt the Proprietor's road crossing and uncovered original CD&M rail!

Cheers,

Bob