Author Topic: How to shorten KATO passengers axles ???  (Read 3742 times)

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
Re: How to shorten KATO passengers axles ???
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »
I'm not rolling my eyes, I think Peteski makes a good point. Bodymounts are the way to go on freight cars and perhaps some head end other cars that are switched in and out of consists, but in many passenger trains that tend to be run and stay in coupled trainsets, the visual benefit of body mounted couplers is lost under the diaphragms and talgoes offer an operational advantage, IMHO. For example, my Kato Super Chief may get an occasional extra baggage or a sleeper or two, but the basic trainset is the same; I couldn't care less about the coupler mounts as long as the operation is flawless (and it is).
Just my two cents,
Otto K.

Agree with you 100 %
Thanks ,
Louis

trainforfun

• Crew
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2021, 11:49:52 AM »
You say that switching to 1016's (longer shank) solved 95% of the problem.  In these curves, are you sure the
car edges or diaphragms aren't pushing on each other and making the cars rock up in the corners, causing these derailments?
It sounds like the longer coupler prevented the cars from doing this (almost).

The cars are pushed out by the short couplers , the diaphragm are not touching .
Thanks ,
Louis

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2021, 05:05:47 PM »
Well I'm glad to see that we all have contributed to the analysis, without just blindly replacing the wheelsets (which would have most likely not made things better). Too bad that Rapido is not considering the kinematic-type couplers (which have been widely used in European models, even on very short cars).  Those allow for close coupling, while still operating reliably on very tight curves).

Seems that Rapido is catering to what likely is a minority of N scale modelers who demand prototypical coupler mounting, and obviously they either have layouts with very broad curves, or just display their models statically, in a display cabinet.
. . . 42 . . .

trainforfun

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2021, 10:03:56 AM »
Well I'm glad to see that we all have contributed to the analysis, without just blindly replacing the wheelsets (which would have most likely not made things better). Too bad that Rapido is not considering the kinematic-type couplers (which have been widely used in European models, even on very short cars).  Those allow for close coupling, while still operating reliably on very tight curves).

Seems that Rapido is catering to what likely is a minority of N scale modelers who demand prototypical coupler mounting, and obviously they either have layouts with very broad curves, or just display their models statically, in a display cabinet.

RAPIDO should have design this product mechanically then add a skin around .
It is still the nicest product ever saw in N scale , I will succeed to run them , too nice to sit on a siding or a shelf .

Thanks all for your help !!!
Thanks ,
Louis

jjb62556

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2021, 11:18:24 AM »
I don't think it's a design problem as it is a track design problem..No easement between the curve turnouts is the problem. Mine runs fine with easements between turnouts and curves.....

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2021, 03:17:02 PM »
I don't think it's a design problem as it is a track design problem..No easement between the curve turnouts is the problem. Mine runs fine with easements between turnouts and curves.....

While  that's true, not everybody might have room for easements (and larger radii curves).  Other manufacturers (Lke Kato, BLI, MTL among them) of long cars with large overhangs use other techniques (like truck mounted couplers or kinematic, or other swinging coupler design) to make their rolling stock friendlier to tight curves or no easements.  Not a design "problem" with Rapido, but a choice they made in their design which makes less friendly to small layouts with tight curves and  no easement.  Louis doesn't have any problems with any of his other rolling stock - just the Rapido cars.
. . . 42 . . .

jjb62556

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2021, 09:38:17 PM »
The new MTL are all body mounted. Do they work all right?

trainforfun

• Crew
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
The new MTL are all body mounted. Do they work all right?

Yes , I had to loosen the couplers a bit so they can go thru these S curves without any problem .
An S curve is also a double crossover , but less a problem because there is a short straight track in between the turnouts .
Thanks ,
Louis