Author Topic: Concrete Tie strip for N Scale and Code 40 Rail  (Read 32931 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Concrete Tie strip for N Scale and Code 40 Rail
« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2021, 10:48:24 PM »
+1
Since you have the file for the tie strip, why not use it to make a painting mask?  I think you can us it to make a negative surface in a new solid, then cut that to expose the tie plates and clips to be painted.

The resin printing isn't quite as precise as say photo etching, so making a mask that fits well enough (without bleed, fits a bunch of flexible strips, etc.) could become a bit problematic.  For the amount of strips I anticipate, the pad seems like a 'good enough' approach, at least for now.

What does add steps to the painting process is trying to keep paint out of the areas where the rail will be glued.  My solution so far is to stick some .040" square styrene strips into the rail guides before hitting them with the spray cans.   A bit crude, but again workable for the amount of track I intend to build, at least in the short term:

Ed

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 10:56:51 PM by ednadolski »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #301 on: August 24, 2021, 10:50:01 PM »
Polacks  Poles

Fixed that for you ;)  (the previous not being too nice a word)

Ed

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #302 on: August 25, 2021, 09:41:43 PM »
Ed-
As a pure (at least as based on genealogy going back to the 1600s) Bohemian I used the word “Bohunk” on myself.   That was a derogatory term that, like many such words, was embraced by ethnics to describe themselves (with pride).  My wife is half Bohemian and half Polish.   
No more commentary is necessary....
Charlie Vlk. (If my ancestors had settled a few more kilometers north it would have been Welk)